A National Conversation - Electoral Reform
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:45:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  A National Conversation - Electoral Reform
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A National Conversation - Electoral Reform  (Read 1089 times)
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 12, 2015, 04:27:24 PM »

As I promised in the campaign - in the event of the amendment failing, I'd hold a open forum where people can suggest ideas for a new voting system.

If you wish to keep the present system, then please say on this thread.

Any ideas?
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 04:28:08 PM »

What I suggested in the debate was a Mixed Member Proportional System.

As an idea:
  • An increase to the number of seats.
  • Five seats coming from a regional vote - with the current regional voting system.
  • Seven seats coming from a national list - this will make the Senate more proportional.
  • Three seats coming from a district vote - using the same voting system as the regional vote.
  • The regional and national list votes should take place at the same time, and the district vote should take place at a different time (mid-term).

Just an early idea.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 07:09:04 PM »

My greatest fear is that the results will have removed the air from the balloon. I'm sure there are interested people, but I do think a lot of the more passionate reformers are going to be less inclined to participate for a while.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 07:15:50 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2015, 07:18:46 PM by Pacific Speaker Türkisblau »

My greatest fear is that the results will have removed the air from the balloon. I'm sure there are interested people, but I do think a lot of the more passionate reformers are going to be less inclined to participate for a while.

This. We just had a very popular reform amendment that served as the primary policy goal of a president that won in a landslide as well as enjoyed support from the leaders of 2 major parties. Can we also talk about how long the Electoral Reform Amendment was worked on by the Commission that created it as well as how much it was tweaked by the Senate?

If Atlasia couldn't come to a consensus on that, then I can't fathom how we're going to be able to even reach one on another reform package. It's all just very discouraging.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 07:38:30 PM »

I support a 5-5-5 plan:

5 MMP (party list)
5 District
5 Regional
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 07:48:52 PM »

This. We just had a very popular reform amendment that served as the primary policy goal of a president that won in a landslide as well as enjoyed support from the leaders of 2 major parties. Can we also talk about how long the Electoral Reform Amendment was worked on by the Commission that created it as well as how much it was tweaked by the Senate?

If Atlasia couldn't come to a consensus on that, then I can't fathom how we're going to be able to even reach one on another reform package. It's all just very discouraging.

It's extremely hard to reform anything around here. Almost as bad as if we were an actual country.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 07:54:24 PM »

I support a 5-5-5 plan:

5 MMP (party list)
5 District
5 Regional

I'll take this over the current system. My only fear is increasing the number of offices in that case. Is there any way this could be prevented?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 08:01:17 PM »

I support a 5-5-5 plan:

5 MMP (party list)
5 District
5 Regional

I'll take this over the current system. My only fear is increasing the number of offices in that case. Is there any way this could be prevented?

It's interesting that those who were concerned about the lack of candidates are supportive of a system that will require a LOT more candidates, even than the proposal that was defeated.
Former Lincoln Assemblyman & Lt. Gov. RGN
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix
E: 2.31, S: 4.47

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 08:19:13 PM »

I support a 5-5-5 plan:

5 MMP (party list)
5 District
5 Regional

Agree, however it can be also great if we reduce the number of seats in Hatman's plan or Clyde's.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 08:42:50 PM »

I support a 5-5-5 plan:

5 MMP (party list)
5 District
5 Regional

Agree, however it can be also great if we reduce the number of seats in Hatman's plan or Clyde's.

Seconded. We have enough activity problems as is.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 09:20:52 PM »

Party list is a boring system in a game like this one. There's really no need to hold an election, just check what the current registration statistics are.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 09:36:32 PM »

Well, I'd be open to replacing the 5 MMP members with STV members.

If you want something smaller, we could do a 5-3-3 plan.

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 01:03:52 AM »

This is actually the third time in two years that something similar has happened. Atlasians want reform, but are firmly divided along many different points that make cobbline together the necessary majorities extremely difficult.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 01:19:59 AM »

The South reduced its legislature by two, so whilst still a net increase, we could go up to twelve and be even for the year.

I would like to see another stab at bicameralism along the lines proposed by Duke, but under its own steam this time as opposed to leashed to last year's not so narrowly defeated reform effort.

Basic design:

Senate:
Five Regional Senate Seats
Led by a PPT (You'll see why Below) selected on the basis of merit

The People's House:
5 to 7 People's Representatives (At-Large, Party-List or MMP)
Led by a Speaker elected on a partisan basis

VP acts as an intermediary and legislation must pass both chambers.

Some regions function with as few as three members in their chamber, so it should be practical even with a larger amount of bills considered (maybe 3 to 5 at a time in each chamber). There will be added importance to the regional Senate elections as the interests of that region as it relates to the partisan majority in the House will become a factor in elections. At the same time and most of all, the current class b gets completely reborn as a new chamber, possibly a new voting method and takes on added importance as well.

THe big key would be simplicity and ease of the transition as well as the functionality of the chambers afterwards.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 08:34:03 AM »

I support bicameralism, but I fear it might not be a popular idea.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 09:30:16 AM »

The South reduced its legislature by two, so whilst still a net increase, we could go up to twelve and be even for the year.

I would like to see another stab at bicameralism along the lines proposed by Duke, but under its own steam this time as opposed to leashed to last year's not so narrowly defeated reform effort.

Basic design:

Senate:
Five Regional Senate Seats
Led by a PPT (You'll see why Below) selected on the basis of merit

The People's House:
5 to 7 People's Representatives (At-Large, Party-List or MMP)
Led by a Speaker elected on a partisan basis

VP acts as an intermediary and legislation must pass both chambers.

Some regions function with as few as three members in their chamber, so it should be practical even with a larger amount of bills considered (maybe 3 to 5 at a time in each chamber). There will be added importance to the regional Senate elections as the interests of that region as it relates to the partisan majority in the House will become a factor in elections. At the same time and most of all, the current class b gets completely reborn as a new chamber, possibly a new voting method and takes on added importance as well.

THe big key would be simplicity and ease of the transition as well as the functionality of the chambers afterwards.
I think this could work.

Maybe:
Senate - 5 Regional Seats
House - 3 Districts and 4 List seats in a MMP system.

12 national seats and having a majority in the Senate wouldn't lead to policies being forced though - debates would need to be won.

I don't know what sort of support this would get though...
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 09:42:49 AM »

It does seem like the major parties would still need to find a lot of candidates.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 09:58:24 AM »

It does seem like the major parties would still need to find a lot of candidates.
Regions - one in each = 5

Districts - one in each = 3
List - up to 5 (most likely) = 5

12 needed in total (maximum).

However, candidates in districts should be able to be on the list as well, should they choose - so it would reduce the number of candidates needed.

Also, the district and list vote would be at different times - so defeated candidates could run in the district/list election.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 11:30:26 AM »

While a party list might be a good idea in theory, for Atlasian purposes I don't think it's a great option. I do find the idea of a two-house legislature intriguing, though.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2015, 04:13:26 AM »

I'm still not a fan of bicameralism, to say the least. And at most I would only support one Senate seat added because of activity. Maybe we can have, say, 4 district seats and 2 At-Larges?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2015, 09:05:52 AM »

Party lists would be the final nail in Atlasia's coffin. Don't do it.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2015, 09:10:12 AM »

Party lists would be the final nail in Atlasia's coffin. Don't do it.

Yeah, if you want elections to become boring, that's just the way to go.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2015, 11:10:28 PM »

I'm open to reform, and voted in favor of the amendment to abolish at-large seats. Most of the other reform ideas that have been tossed around do not hold much appeal to me, though. Party-list voting would be dull for most players and there's not enough interest to justify creating new seats. Bicameralism is one of the worst ideas every proposed in Atlasia and I have no idea why it interests anyone.

Here's an idea that I've mentioned a couple of times before. The entire Senate should run for re-election every two months, instead of having staggered four-month terms. This would raise the stakes of each election, especially midterms. It would also force Senators to be more responsive to their constituents. Complaints about low engagement between the Senate and the public have become common enough that there should be some interest in doing something about it.

I wouldn't opposed to changing the length of terms. Or at the very least in such a bicamerlist proposal listed above, having the lower house every two months precisely to better gauge the will of the people.

Yes, you always were a diehard uni-ist at heart. Tongue 

The major appeal for bicameralism is to create a new dynamic within the legislative branch itself. Think of it like this, we have at points changed election methods for both classes if you go back far enough, but the chamber itself has not changed that much in terms of how it functions. A bicameral system could reimbibe new purpose into each of the present "classes" and allow for a dynamic in the Atlasian legislative branch that is completely novel in that sense.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies