Bush ally: Bush 'misheard' Iraq question
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:40:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Bush ally: Bush 'misheard' Iraq question
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bush ally: Bush 'misheard' Iraq question  (Read 1682 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 12, 2015, 05:13:18 PM »
« edited: May 12, 2015, 05:14:54 PM by Torie »

Whether Bush did or not, the fallout from it has been terrible, and Bush's handling of it terrible, and I think this has the potential to really hurt his candidacy. He seemingly does not have the skill or the emotional will to cut himself loose from Dubya, and he becomes a candidate re-litigating the past, rather than focusing on the future, which is equivalent to political suicide in my view.

I'm unhappy with Rubio's performance so far as well. Kasich needs to get in, and the sooner the better. It's pathetic.
Gallium
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 05:37:08 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2015, 05:45:20 PM by Gallium »

He had a new response on Hannity today:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/05/12/jeb-bush-clarifies-remarks-on-supporting-iraq-war/

This response feels even worse.  Thousands of deaths are just any old mistake. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nothing in his pre-campaign so far suggests he's got any real political talent, beyond fundraising ability. He's made gaffe after gaffe. If he's rusty, he's practically decomposed.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 05:50:52 PM »

This is why Bush is fundamentally a terrible candidate, regardless of his political skills.

His brother's term was a disaster and almost universally seen negatively.
Bill Clinton's term was successful and generally seen positively.

A Bush vs. Clinton race demands, not just invites, that comparison.  Maybe it isn't fatal, but I don't see how he survives that.  And, if you're the moderate candidate and you don't have a strong electability argument, you're cooked. 
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 06:04:26 PM »

Wow. After this, I'm no longer willing to call Bush a slight favorite for the nomination. That honor belongs to Walker.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 06:06:16 PM »

Wow. After this, I'm no longer willing to call Bush a slight favorite for the nomination. That honor belongs to Walker.

His unpopularity in WI though is a turnoff, which is leading me to jump to the Kasich train along with Torie.  I would also be open to Christie or Rubio (depending on foreign policy) potentially. 
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 06:19:15 PM »

His unpopularity in WI though is a turnoff, which is leading me to jump to the Kasich train along with Torie.  I would also be open to Christie or Rubio (depending on foreign policy) potentially. 

Yeah, I still endorse Kasich. But Walker is currently most likely to win the nod, while Kasich likely needs Rubio, Bush, and Walker to completely implode to have a real chance.
history nerd
Rauren Lyan
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 06:21:50 PM »

This is why Bush is fundamentally a terrible candidate, regardless of his political skills.

A Bush vs. Clinton race demands, not just invites, that comparison.  Maybe it isn't fatal, but I don't see how he survives that.  And, if you're the moderate candidate and you don't have a strong electability argument, you're cooked. 

Bush's approval ratings have been steadily improving since leaving office. It sounds to me like you are stuck in 2008... He is not the universally hated man he once was. I would provide a link to back up my assertions but I guess I need more posts for that so just google it for proof.

With ISIS and everything going on Bush's favorability will only improve as his actions in the middle east will appear more and more justified. Of course you and I know this is bullsh**t but the public is not you nor I.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 06:24:26 PM »

Bush's approval ratings have been steadily improving since leaving office. It sounds to me like you are stuck in 2008... He is not the universally hated man he once was. I would provide a link to back up my assertions but I guess I need more posts for that so just google it for proof.

With ISIS and everything going on Bush's favorability will only improve as his actions in the middle east will appear more and more justified. Of course you and I know this is bullsh**t but the public is not you nor I.

Are you kidding? 

People are less angry at Bush because he's no longer a politician.  Nobody defends his record as President though.  And, the Iraq War is still viewed as a fiasco.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 06:26:29 PM »

Are you kidding? 

People are less angry at Bush because he's no longer a politician.  Nobody defends his record as President though.  And, the Iraq War is still viewed as a fiasco.

Exactly. And if you're trying to find a center to center-right person who still hates GWB, you're looking at one right now.
history nerd
Rauren Lyan
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 06:35:15 PM »

Are you kidding? 

Exactly. And if you're trying to find a center to center-right person who still hates GWB, you're looking at one right now.

You are a politically and historically minded fellow, judging by your presence here, so I hardly think you are a representative sample. I also am fairly right wing and I also hate GWB... But I recognize my bias.

Also I highly doubt that Iraq will be a major issue in 2016, especially not on the Republican side of the aisle. Even Paul has backed away from the subject in recent interviews. His support for his brother and the war certainly won't help him but I will be surprised if it hurts  him much.
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 06:59:18 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2015, 07:01:27 PM by bballrox4717 »

The really sad thing for Bush, is that the question as asked would've done likely helped him if he had just said no. I actually do believe that he misheard the question and meant to dodge (which wouldn't have made news) or say no.

It's going to hurt him bad and make Walker and Rubio more legitimate. The worst thing to do in politics is to take a strong stand against the public on an issue and then pander (in the eyes of the electorate). This is seriously the kind of thing (think 47%, self deportation, I voted for it before I voted against it) that slowly kills a campaign.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 07:04:54 PM »

This election is over if Jeb's the nominee. All Hillary needs to do is to play this clip in a few ads until it's sunk into public consciousness, and she's golden.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 07:13:08 PM »

Hillary-Jeb GE is relitigating their relatives' presidencies among swing voters... everyone but Acelans know how that ends.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 07:44:18 PM »

A Bush vs. Clinton race demands, not just invites, that comparison.  Maybe it isn't fatal, but I don't see how he survives that.  And, if you're the moderate candidate and you don't have a strong electability argument, you're cooked.  

Every president's approval shoots up when they leave politics.
history nerd
Rauren Lyan
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 09:02:25 PM »

A Bush vs. Clinton race demands, not just invites, that comparison.  Maybe it isn't fatal, but I don't see how he survives that.  And, if you're the moderate candidate and you don't have a strong electability argument, you're cooked.  

Yup, because memory fades... It has been eight years, we will not be debating Iraq... As much as I would like that to be the national conversation.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 03:33:55 AM »

First Snyder and now this. I really hope Kasich gets in.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 05:43:09 AM »

Yup, because memory fades... It has been eight years, we will not be debating Iraq... As much as I would like that to be the national conversation.

Yes, that will only occur on the Democratic side when the "true progressives" keep bringing it up in attempts to crucify Hillary again. Outside of the Code Pink/Daily Kos kooky constituencies and Atlas, Democratic primary voters are not going to care about it anymore.

As for George W. Bush's allegedly improving favorabilities, as has already been stated on here, that's only because he's been out of politics. Once the campaign gets into full mode, he will be brought back into the political spotlight and Jeb's opponents (on both sides) will constantly remind Americans why they all hated W so much and then his numbers will continue to decline to their normal levels. 

I agree with the poster on here who said that the Clinton years are remembered fondly while the Bush years are like a recurring nightmare. It's going to be difficult for Jeb to effectively distance himself from his brother's disastrous presidency, meanwhile all the Republicans have on the Clinton years is Monica Lewinsky and if they try to blame Hillary for that, well it'll just add to their growing problem of winning the female vote. There's a reason why Bill Clinton was a rock star at the 2008 and 2012 DNCs and George W. Bush was absent from both RNCs.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 10:43:41 AM »

People don't generally think about Iraq right now, no, but with a Bush on the ticket who can't answer THE MOST BASIC QUESTIONS about it, no doubt it'll be brought back up.
bobloblaw
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 11:17:13 AM »

well he is an idiot.

This is typical Bush. They are like GOP Kennedys. They are loyal to one another to the end.

Just as Teddy's 1980 run relegated the Kennedys to a national joke, the same will soon happen to the Bush family.
bobloblaw
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2015, 11:18:44 AM »

Kaisch is another 1990s retread. X-files redebuts in Jan 2016 BTW
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies