Any Regular Bicyclists? Need Advice on (Suburban) Commute
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:44:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Any Regular Bicyclists? Need Advice on (Suburban) Commute
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Any Regular Bicyclists? Need Advice on (Suburban) Commute  (Read 213 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 12, 2015, 11:43:32 PM »

I don't even know why I'm posting this here, but I hope my assumption that there are some avid bicyclists amongst this relatively socially conscious crew is correct. Skip to the coloured text to avoid backstory.

In any case, I do have a car to get to my job starting next week, but a) cars pollute; b) I'm cheap; and most importantly, c) I hate driving, have zero experience and seriously fear getting into an accident. But it has finally crossed my mind to get out of that I could make a carefully designed bike route to get there. I just rode a bike for the first time in 7 years on Sunday, but I don't think that should stop me.

The goods news - there are two bikes paths combining for about 5.5 miles on the way to work and the first ~3 miles of the ride are a combination of minor residential developments and 3-4 college campuses.

The bad news: Between the first part and first trail: 0.9-and 0.5-mile stretches on 1-lane roads
Between the trails: .9-mile and 1.6-mile stretches on 1 lane roads.

My biggest question would be Is it remotely acceptable to be riding on a 1 lane road for that stretch of time? I don't know exactly how this works and I don't want to hold up traffic of course.

Secondly, is there any type of permission you need to ride on roads? I'm going to look into permits for the trails themselves. Obviously reflector and bell would probably be critical to operation (and I'd guess it has to have a basket). Anything else? Did I read lights somewhere too?

Any tips on how to not be sweaty and gross all day? I-banking acquaintances surprised me by revealing that they get dressed in business clothes upon arrival, but that somehow doesn't seem suitable for a suburban role. Or maybe it's fine?

I'm sure a 13-mile commute by bike is by no means ideal, but I'd imagine I'm in shape enough for it. I walk several miles a day with ease. What's 80 minutes extra of exercise each day? nbd.

Sorry for such an obscure post, but I'm hopeful someone here could be of help. I'd greatly appreciate a response even from urban bikers with short commutes since that's probably the best I'll get, and I'm likely the first person with such an absurd idea. Seriously, any advice about biking beyond my questions would go a long way since I have no clue what I'm doing. Thank you.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 12:50:48 AM »

I honestly used to do mountain/road biking almost once a week for about two years. I averaged about 10 miles per ride, but sometimes did up to 20 miles.

It is really scary to bike on a one lane road. It's statistically more dangerous than to drive. I usually went on trails, then bike lanes, and then sidewalks if there wasn't a bike lane. The absolute last option was sharing a lane with cars. If there was another route that wasn't a one lane road then I would highly recommend it. Would it be possible to ride on the sidewalk or shoulder? It sounds kind of rural so I don't know if there is a sidewalk there, but during that particular section, I would strongly avoid sharing the lane with a car.

You don't need any type of permission to ride on a road, but the more stuff (mirror, bell, etc) you have on your bike the safer.

For sweatyness, just wear a loose tank top and gym shorts, and have spare clothes in a backpack. Don't overwork yourself, let the bike roll and you can get far without sweating.

Is it 13 miles one way or 13 miles to and back combined?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 12:55:03 AM »

One-way...

Good thoughts though. I'll try and find an alternate route.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 01:00:01 AM »

One-way...

What kind of bike do you have? I would recommend a road bike and definitely not a hybrid or mountain one lol.

Also, are there any buses that can go a similar route so you can use them?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 01:04:00 AM »

One-way...

What kind of bike do you have? I would recommend a road bike and definitely not a hybrid or mountain one lol.

No bike atm. I would buy one this weekend, but I'll keep that in mind.
There's a train that goes almost all the way there except for that final mile or two which is the problem road when it comes to biking anyway. Just more cost without fixing the issue.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 01:07:09 AM »

One-way...

No bike atm. I would buy one this weekend, but I'll keep that in mind.
There's a train that goes almost all the way there except for that final mile or two which is the problem road when it comes to biking anyway. Just more cost without fixing the issue.

Ah I see. I would look up alternative routes then. It will be longer but safer, and that's more important.

I got a Schwinn Bike from Amazon.com. It was around $200, but it's been very reliable. I would recommend Amazon because you can see lots of customer reviews, and they have less on places like target or walmart.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies