1928 Election (The Hearse at Monticello)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:36:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  1928 Election (The Hearse at Monticello)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: For President and Vice President
President Upton Sinclair (P-CA)/ Senator Eleanor Roosevelt (P-NY)

Senator Herbert Hoover (A-CA)/ Governor Frank O. Lowden (A-IL)

Congressman John W. Davis/ Fmr. Senator Atlee Pomerene (D-OH)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: 1928 Election (The Hearse at Monticello)  (Read 868 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 13, 2015, 05:19:28 PM »

Easily renominated by the People's Party, President Sinclair heads into the fall campaign determined to vindicate his record after an embarrassing defeat in the 1926 Midterms. His main opponent is Senator Herbert Hoover, a noted philanthropist and one of the most admired men in the United States. Hoover is running on a platform of governmental restraint and economic prosperity, arguing that Sinclair's "heavy-handed" treatment of the nation's businesses will have a catastrophic effect on the economy. The dying Democratic Party is running John W. Davis, one of the last elected Democrats in Washington, as its candidate. Davis achieved notoriety three years ago for his outspoken opposition to Sinclair's Civil Rights agenda, and many within the party - including his running mate, former Senator Pomerene - are attempting to distance themselves from his candidacy.

The choice is yours': Sinclair, Hoover, or That Other Guy. Have at it!
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 05:21:20 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2015, 05:24:22 PM by L.D. Smith, Knight of Appalachia »

Sinclair, but I don't understand why Burton K. Wheeler was dropped.

Nothing against Roosevelt, I just figured she'd be better down the line.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 05:25:39 PM »

Sinclair/Roosevelt
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 05:29:55 PM »

Roosevelt got more mentions in the convention thread (1) than Wheeler (0), so she got the nomination. I suppose the in-universe explanation would be that, in light of the American Midterm victory in 1926, the Populists felt they needed a fresh face on the ticket to secure Sinclair's reelection.

Despair not: Wheeler doesn't die until 1975, so there's plenty of time for a comeback.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 05:44:44 PM »

Roosevelt got more mentions in the convention thread (1) than Wheeler (0), so she got the nomination. I suppose the in-universe explanation would be that, in light of the American Midterm victory in 1926, the Populists felt they needed a fresh face on the ticket to secure Sinclair's reelection.

Despair not: Wheeler doesn't die until 1975, so there's plenty of time for a comeback.

ROOSEVELT/Wheeler intraparty unity ticket somewhere down the line?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 05:49:46 PM »

sinclair (not a fascist)
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 09:30:38 PM »

Re-elect Sinclair!
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 02:02:19 AM »

I'm surprised to see John W Davis doing as well as he's done, considering what he's said and how bad the Dems are doing in this timeline. I'm supporting Sinclair, but I just thought it was odd.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 08:15:29 AM »

I voted for Pomerene because I wanted to shake things up in the convention thread. Somehow the libertarians on here keep re nominating anti-civil rights democrats that are bound to fail miserably.

Voted Sinclair...
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 10:05:09 AM »

He would have been a solid Governor of California in 1934.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 10:19:30 AM »

Davis.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 11:16:55 AM »

I'm surprised to see John W Davis doing as well as he's done, considering what he's said and how bad the Dems are doing in this timeline. I'm supporting Sinclair, but I just thought it was odd.

Perhaps one of the most surprising aspects of this series has been that it is easier to kill a third party with a moderate than with a racist. Remember when Andrew Johnson got nearly 20% of the vote in 1872 as the Constitutional Unionist candidate?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 11:19:03 AM »

Perhaps one of the most surprising aspects of this series has been that it is easier to kill a third party with a moderate than with a racist. Remember when Andrew Johnson got nearly 20% of the vote in 1872 as the Constitutional Unionist candidate?

Moderates are boring, racists bring out morbid curiosity. Plain and simple rule with these timelines.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 12:45:23 PM »

In the timeline, it makes sense. Southern whites, especially well-off Southern whites or those who were particularly pro-Confederacy, don't have anyone else to vote for: the Populists presumably have the support of Southern blacks (which, along with support from some white-working class voters--see what happened in North Carolina in the 1890s historically--wins them most of the South), so obviously Southern whites aren't going to vote for the n***** party. And they're not going to vote for a bunch of Yankee interlopers (the Republicans) either. So the Democrats will persist as a rump Southern white party, shut out of national elections, but with enough support to win some seats in the House and win Senate seats in Southern states that aren't black majority.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2015, 03:06:40 PM »

As long as the American party is for high tariffs and has not formally distanced itself from its prohibitionist origins, there will be a constituency for the Democratic party.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2015, 09:05:05 PM »

1928 Presidential Election

President Upton Sinclair (People's-California)/ Senator Eleanor Roosevelt (People's-New York): 425 Electoral Votes; 54.5% popular votes
Senator Herbert Hoover (American-California)/ Governor Frank O. Lowden (American-Illinois): 58 Electoral Votes; 27.3% popular votes
Congressman John W. Davis (Democratic-West Virginia)/ Fmr. Senator Atlee Pomerene (Democratic-Ohio): 48 Electoral Votes; 18.2% popular votes

Though the American Party had hoped its gains in the 1926 Congressional elections were a sign that the winds were shifting in their favor, President Upton Sinclair won reelection in a landslide in the Election of 1928, defeating Senator Hoover by nearly 30% and racking up the largest electoral college tally in history. Eleven months later, the nation would be plunged into a crisis that would test the ingenuity and resolve of the Californian author.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies