Senate Dems relent on TPP/TPA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:44:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Senate Dems relent on TPP/TPA
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senate Dems relent on TPP/TPA  (Read 1614 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 13, 2015, 06:32:49 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/senate-finds-a-path-forward-on-trade-legislation/

Stiglitz on what TPP/TPA actually is:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-secret-corporate-takeover-hidden-in-the-tpp-2015-05-13

The real intent of these provisions is to impede health, environmental, safety, and, yes, even financial regulations meant to protect America’s own economy and citizens. Companies can sue governments for full compensation for any reduction in their future expected profits resulting from regulatory changes.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 08:32:18 PM »

As if there was ever any doubt.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 08:53:47 PM »

Good, good. It seems like this was never about Fast Track and was just about getting McConnell to allow votes on bills. I was worried that the Senate had gone completely nuts there for a moment.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 09:11:49 PM »

Companies of all nationalities have always been able to sue governments in court as private actors. If there were no enforcement mechanism, then a treaty would be pointless. There is absolutely nothing qualitatively new about this.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 09:38:59 PM »

Senate Democrats deserve to be in the minority.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 12:56:58 PM »

I dunno, I think that Exxon-Mobile and BP being able to sue could have a chilling effect on countries passing new environmental regulations and that's a serious ing problem.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 01:01:26 PM »

Depressingly, this. The farce of "free trade" and it's supposed benefits have been so ingrained that it is almost assumed that this will be helpful to us and our economy.

I do like that the Senate Democrats have put up more of a fight than usual this time around. Anyone know if it's expected to get by in the house?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 01:18:02 PM »

...how disgusting
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 01:58:49 PM »

This is part of the reason I now identify as an (O)-New York instead of a (D)-New York. Democrats are spineless chickensh**ts who can't stand up for anything.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 02:07:21 PM »

Can someone please explain to me how you expect the government to be able to negotiate multilateral trade deals without fast track/TPA? I understand opposing the TPP, that's one thing, but without fast track/TPA it's essentially impossible to negotiate multilateral agreements.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 02:08:16 PM »

I dunno, I think that Exxon-Mobile and BP being able to sue could have a chilling effect on countries passing new environmental regulations and that's a serious ing problem.

They can already sue. As in the quote I posted, literally 3,000 agreements all over the world already have  similar enforcement mechanisms.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 02:47:25 PM »

DiFi already lost my vote long ago.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 03:01:03 PM »

Can someone please explain to me how you expect the government to be able to negotiate multilateral trade deals without fast track/TPA? I understand opposing the TPP, that's one thing, but without fast track/TPA it's essentially impossible to negotiate multilateral agreements.
Let them drop the TPP completely.  Then we can work on a streamlined negotiating framework that includes public, local, and state input.  And put every single bit of every provision on CSPAN and PBS.

What is so beneficial to Americans in TPP that they need to have the agreement, hide the details, and then jam the sh**t through congress before anyone knows what's in it?
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 03:51:37 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2015, 03:54:55 PM by Wolverine22 »

Free trade agreements only benefit third-world countries that we'd have to repeal the 13th Amendment in order to compete with. That said, we must institute protectionist policies that offset any benefit companies may gain from shipping their manufacturing to China or India so it's cheaper to make it in America. I was glad that the Democrats have stopped this abomination, but we must kill it for good before what's left of American manufacturing gets shipped overseas.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2015, 04:09:23 PM »

Companies of all nationalities have always been able to sue governments in court as private actors. If there were no enforcement mechanism, then a treaty would be pointless. There is absolutely nothing qualitatively new about this.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And all countries should withdraw from those 3000 agreements until those clauses are removed.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2015, 08:21:26 PM »

Free trade agreements only benefit third-world countries that we'd have to repeal the 13th Amendment in order to compete with. That said, we must institute protectionist policies that offset any benefit companies may gain from shipping their manufacturing to China or India so it's cheaper to make it in America. I was glad that the Democrats have stopped this abomination, but we must kill it for good before what's left of American manufacturing gets shipped overseas.

I take it you've never taken an economics class?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2015, 06:31:24 PM »

isn't what he said the exact opposite of the generally accepted wisdom?
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2015, 07:14:35 PM »

This is part of the reason I now identify as an (O)-New York Independent instead of a (D)-New York Democrat. Democrats are spineless chickensh**ts who can't stand up for anything.
Angel of Death
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2015, 08:31:38 PM »

I'd like to hear the response from ISDS apologists to this.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2015, 08:56:54 PM »

isn't what he said the exact opposite of the generally accepted wisdom?

Of all the things that could be considered progressive, denying poor people the right to earn a living precisely because of how miserable they are, simply because they were born in the wrong country, no matter what angle one looks at it from, one cannot find where it aligns with progressive principles. It's fine that it aligns with the interest group politics of the Democratic Party.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2015, 01:06:14 AM »

Next election

Democrats: We have to form a committee to figure out why our turnout was so bad again.

Me: You can't actually be this retarded, right?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies