WHAS11/Courier-Journal: Clinton ties with Paul in Kentucky
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:56:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  WHAS11/Courier-Journal: Clinton ties with Paul in Kentucky
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: WHAS11/Courier-Journal: Clinton ties with Paul in Kentucky  (Read 5087 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2015, 08:25:36 AM »

This poll and the PPP poll of Arizona , but Hillary Clinton doing better on the whole (but not better than Obama in 2008 in states that he won by Reagan-like margins) suggests:

1. that Hillary Clinton is less polarizing,at least on personal identity
2. that the Obama coalition is intact where it is strong, but that Obama has maxed out in states like New York and California)
3. that the Clinton gains are strongest in places that Obama could not reach.

One state in extensive detail (Arizona), and really fragmentary evidence on another (Kentucky).

Barack Obama got absolutely crushed in five states that  Bill Clinton won twice (Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Tennessee, and West Virginia). In 2012 he lost Kentucky by margins that one associates with "Walter McGovern" and "George Mondale" -- get it? -- in 49-state losses.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2015, 02:16:35 PM »

Hillary is a much better fit for WV, KY and TN. She will campaign extensively here. Heck, at this point not even TX is safe for the GOP, I saw a poll from 2013 that had Hillary ahead of all Republicans. Sad
Texas and West Virginia are certainly safe. Tennessee and Kentucky could prove surprisingly close, but I doubt it. Still, Clinton should campaign in Kentucky at the very least.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2015, 03:30:56 PM »

LMAO people taking this seriously. Remember the period from late 2013 to the summer of 2014 when Grimes was pretty much leading or tying McConnell? That's pretty much this. Kentucky will be easily Republican by election day. I literally laughed out loud when I saw a tie in eastern Kentucky. That area is at least 65% Republican every time and getting more Republican.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2015, 04:07:53 PM »

LMAO people taking this seriously. Remember the period from late 2013 to the summer of 2014 when Grimes was pretty much leading or tying McConnell? That's pretty much this.

Not really. McConnell won by 15 because it was a great year for republicans and because Grimes was a disaster on the campaign trail in the final weeks. Take those away and he might have been held to his '08 margin of 6%.

KY isn't tied, but Clinton isn't doomed to do as poorly as Obama did there.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2015, 12:07:53 PM »

LMAO people taking this seriously. Remember the period from late 2013 to the summer of 2014 when Grimes was pretty much leading or tying McConnell? That's pretty much this. Kentucky will be easily Republican by election day. I literally laughed out loud when I saw a tie in eastern Kentucky. That area is at least 65% Republican every time and getting more Republican.

We shall see. 2014 was a wave year for Republicans.  It's a long time until Election 2016 (17 and a half months). But --

1. Kentucky has a popular Democratic governor. The state is not a sure thing in statewide races.

2. Obamacare is popular in Kentucky even if it had to be rebranded. Any Republican who threatens to take it away could be in deep trouble with the Kentucky electorate in 2016. 

3. The matchup is between Hillary Clinton and a US Senator representing Kentucky. Rand Paul was elected in Kentucky, so unless he is a catastrophic failure as a Senator as Rick Santorum was in Pennsylvania in 2006, he likely has some advantage as a Favorite Son. 

4. Barack Obama was a horrible match for Kentucky. He lost Kentucky in much the same manner as McGovern in 1972 and Mondale in 1984. But McGovern and Mondale were poor matches for America as a whole, as shown by them losing 49 states. The difference? Obama was an excellent match for more than half of America. He was basically a liberal version of Ronald Reagan where he won and George McGovern or Walter Mondale where he lost. 

Note well -- that Jimmy Carter followed the huge loss of George McGovern with a clear win of Kentucky in 1976; eight years after Mondale lost Kentucky, Bill Clinton won the state.  States can make huge swings in short times.

5. Hillary Clinton is not Barack Obama. She is not as polarizing as a personality.

6. She does not need to win Kentucky. If she is even close in Kentucky, then she is picking up voters who rejected Barack Obama in 2008 and 2012 while losing little of the Obama supporters.

...OK. So what isn't said here?

1. What any Republican other than Rand Paul does against her. If Bush, Huckabee, Rubio, or Walker does better, then such may show that Rand Paul is a poor match for Kentucky.

2. So far she has only 45% support. How do we know that 45% is not her ceiling? If it is her ceiling, then she loses 54-45 or so.

3. If someone other than Rand Paul wins the Republican nomination,  then this poll is useless.

4. Unlike PPP, Quinnipiac, or even Survey USA, the Bluegrass poll applies only to Kentucky. We have little to check it against.   

Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2015, 12:18:01 PM »

Scott Walker would be a terrible match for Kentucky.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2015, 12:20:32 PM »

Here's an old poll from August 2014 -- from PPP:

Q6 If the candidates for President next time were
Democrat Hillary Clinton and Republican Jeb
Bush, who would you vote for?
Hillary Clinton.................................................. 43%
Jeb Bush......................................................... 48%
Not sure .......................................................... 9%

Q7 If the candidates for President next time were
Democrat Hillary Clinton and Republican Chris
Christie, who would you vote for?
Hillary Clinton.................................................. 44%
Chris Christie .................................................. 41%
Not sure .......................................................... 15%

Q8 If the candidates for President next time were
Democrat Hillary Clinton and Republican Ted
Cruz, who would you vote for?
Hillary Clinton.................................................. 46%
Ted Cruz ......................................................... 41%
Not sure .......................................................... 13%

Q9 If the candidates for President next time were
Democrat Hillary Clinton and Republican Mike
Huckabee, who would you vote for?
Hillary Clinton.................................................. 44%
Mike Huckabee ............................................... 47%
Not sure .......................................................... 9%

Q10 If the candidates for President next time were
Democrat Hillary Clinton and Republican Rand
Paul, who would you vote for?
Hillary Clinton.................................................. 43%
Rand Paul ....................................................... 49%
Not sure .......................................................... 8%

Q26 In the last presidential election, did you vote for
Barack Obama or Mitt Romney?

Barack Obama................................................ 40%
Mitt Romney.................................................... 52%
Someone else / Don't remember .................... 8%

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2014/08/rand-paul-continues-to-be-popular-in-home-state-of-kentucky.html#more

I do not show these polls in my map of polling results; I include no polls from before the election of November 2014. I would not make much of the difference between this poll and the Bluegrass Poll.  I can make no conclusions of how any other Republicans would do.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2015, 12:27:11 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2015, 10:24:48 PM by pbrower2a »

Hillary won't win Kentucky, but its going to be much closer than it has been.

She is more likely to win Indiana than Kentucky.

The eight electoral votes of Kentucky are all going to go to the Republican nominee whether Hillary Clinton loses the state by  400K votes  (as did Obama in 2012) or four votes.  

Scott Walker would be a terrible match for Kentucky.

Let's wait on that until we see a binary matchup between Clinton and Walker in Kentucky. I don't deal in 'probably' contrary to prior behavior unless I see evidence. I was slow to believe that Barack Obama would win Virginia in 2008 until several polls indicated something other than "Virginia goes for the Republican nominee except in blowouts like 1964."  
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2015, 09:52:22 PM »

Hmm. I'll believe it when I see it.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2015, 09:34:18 PM »

That Appalachian region is what is making her competitive. The Clinton brand still represents something there, but a GOP candidate may be able to hack away at it by linking her to Obama
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2015, 03:28:44 PM »

Hillary isnt doomed in Appalachia; and certainly not OH.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2015, 04:44:12 PM »

Hmm. I'll believe it when I see it.

Somebody will surely poll Kentucky involving several match-ups in addition to Clinton vs. Paul.

Three possible explanations are available:

1. Rand Paul is unusually weak in support in Kentucky and vulnerable even in a re-election bid.

2. Kentucky is returning to competitiveness because the Democratic Presidential nominee is not as poor a fit for Kentucky as was George Mondale or Walter McGovern.

3. This poll is a ludicrous outlier.

Anyone can interpret a poll as one wants.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies