NH-1: FEC fines Guinta for illegal loan from parents (Resign Watch Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:10:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NH-1: FEC fines Guinta for illegal loan from parents (Resign Watch Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: NH-1: FEC fines Guinta for illegal loan from parents (Resign Watch Thread)  (Read 8501 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2015, 12:04:53 AM »

That means RINO Innis runs for the seat, and we lose it.

Innis is a far better candidate than Guinta ever was.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2015, 12:06:58 AM »

Well, Guinta won twice out of three times. Innis is not a conservative. His entire campaign was about his sexuality. Perhaps he would have won if he talked about something, anything else.

Maybe I'm in the fringe here, but I don't think this hurts Guinta in the slightest.  Most voters don't care about this stuff. Do I approve of it? No. But let's face it, many in Congress have gotten away with *Far* worse.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2015, 12:18:21 AM »

Well, Guinta won twice out of three times. Innis is not a conservative. His entire campaign was about his sexuality. Perhaps he would have won if he talked about something, anything else.

Maybe I'm in the fringe here, but I don't think this hurts Guinta in the slightest.  Most voters don't care about this stuff. Do I approve of it? No. But let's face it, many in Congress have gotten away with *Far* worse.

I originally didn't think it would matter much, but from what I've been reading about it, it's bad enough that Guinta would receive a strong primary challenge if he ran again - despite the fact that he's an incumbent.

Innis lost the NH-1 2014 primary because, more than anything else, Guinta was seen as the candidate, who, as a previous incumbent mounting a comeback bid, as the one who "deserved to have the nomination the most". Had Innis reached the general, he would have beaten Shea-Porter by a wider margin than Guinta did.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2015, 12:20:20 AM »

I originally didn't think it would matter much, but from what I've been reading about it, it's bad enough that Guinta would receive a strong primary challenge if he ran again - despite the fact that he's an incumbent.

Innis lost the NH-1 2014 primary because, more than anything else, Guinta was seen as the candidate, who, as a previous incumbent mounting a comeback bid, as the one who "deserved to have the nomination the most". Had Innis reached the general, he would have beaten Shea-Porter by a wider margin than Guinta did.

Maybe, but it's hard to know.  Are there any other conservatives in NH-01 that can run for this?
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2015, 12:42:47 AM »

Maybe I'm in the fringe here, but I don't think this hurts Guinta in the slightest.  Most voters don't care about this stuff. Do I approve of it? No. But let's face it, many in Congress have gotten away with *Far* worse.

Maybe, but it's hard to know.  Are there any other conservatives in NH-01 that can run for this?

Chris Sununu is definitely looking for a promotion. He just stepped down from his business, and there's really no other place to go.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2015, 01:13:55 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I love the Sununu family but I hate dynasty politics. I guess I'm okay with it.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2015, 02:02:09 AM »
« Edited: May 18, 2015, 02:13:36 AM by Sawx, King of the North »

I love the Sununu family but I hate dynasty politics. I guess I'm okay with it.

Yep - looks like you and I are in the same boat about the current slate of candidates. The only declared opponent Guinta has is a DINO, and you're afraid of Innis jumping in (I wouldn't be, by the way - there's simply going to be too big of a field for him to eke out a victory). Don't think the rest are conservative enough for you.

Guinta, on the other hand, is done for. There's a lot of pressure on Guinta to at least explain what happened, and he's facing backlash from even his own party (as I've mentioned). The Union Leader - mind you, the conservative newspaper so large and so influential that it sunk Muskie's presidential campaign in 1972 - just called for Guinta's resignation. The Eagle-Tribune, another conservative paper that covers the southern half of my district, just called for his resignation. It's going to get very ugly for him - especially considering he only squeaked by with eight percent as an established candidate, with the NHGOP's support in 2014.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2015, 02:17:20 AM »

Innis is very, very bad on the homosexual issue -- I think he is also pro-abortion? (Just a notion, I'll be happy to correct if I'm wrong).

I think Guinta survives this. It's very early on in his second term.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2015, 03:03:54 AM »

Innis is very, very bad on the homosexual issue -- I think he is also pro-abortion? (Just a notion, I'll be happy to correct if I'm wrong).

You're right. He is pro-choice - with some restrictions (like a 20-week ban/parental consent).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2015, 11:03:56 AM »

Quinta won't be running for reelection. He's done.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2015, 11:04:58 AM »

I never equated "Republican" with "Ultraconservative". Neither - "Democrat" with "Ultraliberal". Both parties are big enough for at least some variety....
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2015, 11:12:53 AM »

Ouch:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Apparently Scott Brown now lives in the district. Did he not get the message in November?

FWIW the residence he used to run for Senate was based out of his district too. I'm not reading much into it because one district covers all eight miles of beach in NH.

Though he did carry the district against Shaheen.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2015, 12:19:31 PM »

Ayotte calling Guinta to resign. Damn, this should be fun.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2015, 12:28:13 PM »

I think Guinta will resign before the end of the year.    Glad to see him go frankly.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2015, 12:29:21 PM »

So the Guinta v. Shea-Porter matchups are over? Sad
CountryClassSF

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2015, 02:45:26 PM »

Of course she does. Getting big numbers in NH-01 is her only way to win re-election if Hassan runs.

With friends like Kelly Ayotte, who needs the left.  Shame on her. Democrats (and for that matter, Republicans) won't even ask Menendez to resign and he's under FEDERAL INDICTMENT
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2015, 02:49:15 PM »

I think Guinta will resign before the end of the year.    Glad to see him go frankly.

You and me both.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2015, 02:49:42 PM »

I think Democrat-lite Kelly Ayotte should resign.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2015, 03:04:24 PM »

Of course she does. Getting big numbers in NH-01 is her only way to win re-election if Hassan runs.

With friends like Kelly Ayotte, who needs the left.  Shame on her. Democrats (and for that matter, Republicans) won't even ask Menendez to resign and he's under FEDERAL INDICTMENT

I'd have thought you would have jumped at the opportunity to spin a conservative Republican like Kelly Ayotte as having more integrity and morals than the left. Because from a right-wing perspective that's the obvious takeaway from this.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2015, 03:24:54 PM »

With friends like Kelly Ayotte, who needs the left.  Shame on her. Democrats (and for that matter, Republicans) won't even ask Menendez to resign and he's under FEDERAL INDICTMENT

Indictment /=/ conviction. Guinta has actually been convicted in this case.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2015, 03:26:16 PM »

Guinta doesn't have very many friends in the NHGOP, does he? I mean, this scandal really shouldn't be big enough to lead to resignation calls from within your own party, yet that's what's going on.

So, the three likeliest replacement Republicans are Jeb Bradley, Dan Innis, and Chris Sununu, correct? And CSP should be virtually guaranteed the Democratic nomination.

I think Democrat-lite Kelly Ayotte should resign.

Boo. Kelly Ayotte's record as a Senator has been fantastic and I hope she runs for President one day. (One day -- not now).
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2015, 04:01:05 PM »

If getting rid of Guinta means getting a sensible republican who can hold the seat in a presidential year, then by all means make him resign. I really don't want to see that Ultra-HP Shea-Porter in congress again.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2015, 04:07:39 PM »

If getting rid of Guinta means getting a sensible republican who can hold the seat in a presidential year, then by all means make him resign. I really don't want to see that Ultra-HP Shea-Porter in congress again.

Lol being so sad to see garbage like Guinta going, but Carol Shea-Porter (a nice lady you happen to disagree with) is an HP.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2015, 04:08:12 PM »

Guinta doesn't have very many friends in the NHGOP, does he? I mean, this scandal really shouldn't be big enough to lead to resignation calls from within your own party, yet that's what's going on.

So, the three likeliest replacement Republicans are Jeb Bradley, Dan Innis, and Chris Sununu, correct? And CSP should be virtually guaranteed the Democratic nomination.

Yeah - if she wants it. She'll clear the field if she runs.

Also worth noting that Guinta got caught using campaign money for his legal defense.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2015, 04:28:38 PM »

Lol being so sad to see garbage like Guinta going, but Carol Shea-Porter (a nice lady you happen to disagree with) is an HP.

I honestly think people are overreacting to this. Guinta has confessed his crime and paid the fine. It was a relatively minor offense and it shouldn't be hurting him as much as it is.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies