Rubio: As president, I wouldn't pursue a 2-state solution for Israel/Palestine
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:17:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Rubio: As president, I wouldn't pursue a 2-state solution for Israel/Palestine
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Rubio: As president, I wouldn't pursue a 2-state solution for Israel/Palestine  (Read 2862 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2015, 01:26:08 AM »

I support a 2 state solution, but clearly now isnt the time. If an election were held today in West Bank, Hamas would win.

So what? If the people of the West Bank elected Hamas in a free, democratic election who are you to criticise that?

If the people of Afghanistan elect Al Qaeda in a free, democratic election, should the US have the right to "criticize that"?

Why do so many people fail to understand basic geopolitics? Al-Qaeda have no appeal to Afghan, being a small saudi lead terror cell.

The Taliban denounced Al-Qaeda after 9/11, and offered to put Bin Laden on trial
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2015, 01:27:29 AM »

Irony is that everyone said 'these damn palestines don't even have democracy'', now they're saying 'they can't vote for that''.

If the US can vote for a warmongering, torturing, lying leader in 2004 why can't Palestine?
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2015, 07:40:24 AM »

I support a 2 state solution, but clearly now isnt the time. If an election were held today in West Bank, Hamas would win.

So what? If the people of the West Bank elected Hamas in a free, democratic election who are you to criticise that?

If the people of Afghanistan elect Al Qaeda in a free, democratic election, should the US have the right to "criticize that"?

Of course they have the right to criticize that.

The problem is people who claim that bringing democracy to the Middle East will be some sort of panacea, and then turning around and saying, "No, no, no, democracy only works if you elect the people WE want you to elect."
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2015, 08:29:56 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Isn't this the default Republican position on the subject at this point?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2015, 08:31:48 AM »

Isn't this the default Republican position on the subject at this point?

It's the default Republican position on every subject at this point.

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2015, 02:04:20 PM »

I hate how no one seems to understand what the word neoconservative actually means and just treats it as a synonym for "right-wing hawk."
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2015, 06:40:18 PM »

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2015, 12:32:21 AM »

He seems to be right that the conditions are not there for it. If we knew how to accomplish it, we should pursue it, but it's not clear to me what we could do that we haven't tried already.  He still says it is the ideal outcome, which distinguishes him from Huckabee and I think others as well.

The position of his on Israel that is really nuts is the amendment he tried to push through demanding that any nuclear deal must include Iran's full recognition of Israel. 
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2015, 01:11:39 AM »

I have supported a two state solution longer then most people here have. But, it is not possible at the comment. The Palestinian Authority is corrupt, and will not accept anything acceptable (as the 1990's and early 2000's peace talks proved).

There is a strong element of extremism that is still running the show in the PA, especially in the populace itself and in Fatah.

Bull Moose Base

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2015, 10:10:20 AM »

Judging a peace deal to be far away and announcing to the world you won't pursue one are very different things, the one Rubio did being pretty reckless. But it's unfortunately common for candidates to talk recklessly because their dominant goal is winning not international stability. In any case, Rubio seems fairly similar to W and not just on policy. It just feels like Rubio also mindlessly relies on advisors to choose a policy, maybe even the same advisors.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2015, 12:08:24 PM »

Right. He didn't say "I'd work to make conditions favor a two state solution," he said, "The conditions don't exist and oh well." It's not even a position. It's an abdication of responsibility masquerading as a position.
bobloblaw
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2015, 12:36:24 PM »

Why do so many people fail to understand basic geopolitics? Al-Qaeda have no appeal to Afghan, being a small saudi lead terror cell.

The Taliban denounced Al-Qaeda after 9/11, and offered to put Bin Laden on trial

They refused to turn him over.
bobloblaw
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2015, 12:38:39 PM »

Right. He didn't say "I'd work to make conditions favor a two state solution," he said, "The conditions don't exist and oh well." It's not even a position. It's an abdication of responsibility masquerading as a position.

Aside from Carter in 1977-78, every attempt at a large scale peace initative has failed. The American people are wiser than their leaders when it comes to the Middle East. There is something about America's elites that causes them to demand a Middle East peace solution. Where as the American people couldnt care less.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2015, 12:43:21 PM »

Well it's a good thing our foreign policy isn't decided by a public referendum.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2015, 12:54:50 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2015, 12:57:15 PM by PR »

I hate how no one seems to understand what the word neoconservative actually means and just treats it as a synonym for "right-wing hawk."

I blame the second Bush Administration. The likes of Paul Wolfowitz, Douglas Feith, as well as those like Bill Kristol and Richard Perle who were not directly associated with the administration but were part of the same political circle, and all of whom were among the most strident supporters for regime change in Iraq...

People think of the Presidency of George W. Bush as epitomizing the policies of a "right-wing hawk" in recent times, and there were actual neoconservatives in prominent positions of power and influence in his administration, so that's the association people have.
bobloblaw
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2015, 12:56:22 PM »

Buckley was correct. We would be better off governed by the first 250 people in the phone book, than by all the brains at the Kennedy School
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2015, 03:19:31 PM »

Buckley was correct. We would be better off governed by the first 250 people in the phone book, than by all the brains at the Kennedy School

That sounds like communism to me
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2015, 07:44:17 PM »

Rubio is correct. Only Palestine has a right to exist as a legitimate state.

Explain why the decision by the United Nations to partition a British colonial holding into two separate states for each of the major ethno-religious groups living there is "illegitimate".

This is removing from the context the following various wars, attempts at extermination, and subsequent land seizures and expulsions, as those don't address the origin of the issue.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies