Hillary backs Tubman on $20
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:09:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Hillary backs Tubman on $20
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Hillary backs Tubman on $20  (Read 5921 times)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2015, 09:42:25 PM »

I think this thread has proven why this was a good issue for Hillary to champion. You don't need to understand politics to understand the concept. Many women and nonwhites will especially embrace the idea and a certain element will vehemently oppose it. And those who are running for the GOP nomination could get caught in the middle when asked to take a stand. It may not come up in a debate, but you can be sure that eventually some reporter is going to ask one of them, and then (especially if the first guy flubs it) the press will ask all the others. Remember how 'would you go to a gay wedding?' made the rounds and how 'was the Iraq war a mistake?' is the new thing? 
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2015, 10:22:50 PM »

I think this thread has proven why this was a good issue for Hillary to champion. You don't need to understand politics to understand the concept. Many women and nonwhites will especially embrace the idea and a certain element will vehemently oppose it. And those who are running for the GOP nomination could get caught in the middle when asked to take a stand. It may not come up in a debate, but you can be sure that eventually some reporter is going to ask one of them, and then (especially if the first guy flubs it) the press will ask all the others. Remember how 'would you go to a gay wedding?' made the rounds and how 'was the Iraq war a mistake?' is the new thing? 

^Yes, it is glorious watching them trip over themselves on things that shouldn't even be political issues. Like I said before, I really hope they decide to oppose this just because Hillary supports it. That would be great.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2015, 10:59:30 PM »

I see no reason to oppose it. If anything I'd like to see it go further and we find a number of individuals that fought for the cause of liberty to replace presidents on our currency.

Frederick Douglass, Martin Luther King, and Susan B. Anthony. (yeah I know she has a dollar coin, but it isn't widely circulated) would also be some good additions.

Cash will become less and less used, but I think there will always be at least some need for it, if nothing else to maintain transaction privacy.

Could change the people on the currency every 20 years or so.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2015, 11:22:41 PM »

This thread has certainly traversed its own trail of tears for any history lover.

I despise Jackson because he represents an attack on republican institutions in favor of populist democracy run wild. Was he racist? Yes, just like Lincoln was. Shocker! Everybody was a racist in 1800's save for a small percentage of the people. This is why judging actors in a historical context based on modern value based assesments, distorts the historical record. Put it another way, everyone before X date was Y, they are evil?

This is not how progress works and it is not how history plays out. Nobody was running in 1776 on a platform of endorsing gay marriage. Gays were not given equal rights nor even contemplated as a group in 1787 at the convention. Should we say, everyone before 2008 was anti-gay? Screw Them ALL!!!

We celebrate Lincoln because he was a man beyond his time who moved the ball forward, he was however still a man of the 19th century and imbued with the same biases. In 1858, his campaign was "yes blacks are unequal, but slavery is still immoral".

The problem with Jackson is not that that he killed Indians because he was a racist. Lincoln would have to as part of the militia if he had seen action, and sent the Army to suppress an uprising in Minnesota. The problem with Jackson is that he was a stubborn son of a bitch who wasn't going to be told what to do, because ironically, the system worked. Jackson didn't care, because Jackson cared not a lick about isntitutions or restraints that prevented him from getting his way. He was an ends justify the means kind of guy.

Excesses aside, Jackson engrained in the notion that elections belonged to the people, that majority rules, that voting should be extended beyond just those who own property, (in a way, beyond just those of Slave holders in terms of the South). Women, blacks, etc were just another milestone in the road to mass enfranchisement, the first steps of which were championed by Jackson. Democrats should condemn Jackson for his terrible actions, but they should also embrace the positives that he stood for and like it or not, the Democrats continue to adhere to (albeit on an expanded basis). The tools have changed, the approach to gov't has changed, and they have accepted the market place as opposed to trying to reverse history. The interests served (those wronged by the market, immigrants, the people at large as opposed to just a few) and those opposed (be it business, nativism, the excesses of the market) and so on have not.
Proudconnh
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.29, S: 3.83

« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2015, 08:48:10 PM »

Out of all the people we could put on the twenty dollar bill (which Jackson should stay on) why choose Harriet Tubman? She was definitely brave and a hero, but why not put someone like Sacajawea (a Native American) on it to show that we have a sense of respect for native Americans and their historical contributions.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2015, 08:51:35 PM »

^That would certainly be fitting given the "bad relations" (to put it lightly) between the Jackson administration and Native Americans.
Proudconnh
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.29, S: 3.83

« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2015, 08:54:28 PM »

^That would certainly be fitting given the "bad relations" (to put it lightly) between the Jackson administration and Native Americans.
My thoughts exactly
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2015, 09:10:24 PM »

The federal government has finally turned into Atlasia.

At least we'd be getting rid of our first Democratic president Tongue
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2015, 12:49:23 PM »

The best choice for an American Indian on currency is probably Sequoyah.  Most of the others who come to mind were either defeated by the US, or played unwilling parts in the displacement of their people - making their representation on US currency a dubious distinction.    Plus, we know what Sequoyah looked like.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2015, 06:32:56 PM »

Kanye West for $20 imo
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2015, 09:30:05 PM »

A quick update, today the Treasury Dept. announced that a woman will be chosen for the redesigned $10 bill. They haven't decided on who yet, but are seeking public input. It will come out in 2020, the 100th anniversary of giving women the vote (via 19th ammend.)
https://thenew10.treasury.gov/
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2015, 09:31:26 PM »

Lol I told my mom, who is a very staunch liberal by the way, about this news and she said that it "better be someone like Susan B. Anthony" and not Tubman. I probed her further on the subject and she thinks that a white woman would be much better.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2015, 09:33:48 PM »

Hamilton should stay on the currency he for most intents and purposes created. Getting rid of Jackson would be much better.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2015, 09:40:14 PM »

well as I noted in the US General thread on this, the $10 was already announced to be the next bill up for a redesign so the process was already in place.  That doesn't mean that when they get around to the $20 they wont replace Jackson as well.

Now that it is a for sure thing there will be a debate over who should be the woman on the $10. I wonder if Hillary will weigh in. And will any GOP 2016ers weigh in (on the decision for it to be a woman and/or the choice of the woman)
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2015, 09:59:33 PM »

Ready for Eleanor!
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2015, 09:59:40 PM »

Now that it is a for sure thing there will be a debate over who should be the woman on the $10. I wonder if Hillary will weigh in.

She should back a movement to put herself on the $10.  Tongue
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2015, 10:01:26 PM »

Now that it is a for sure thing there will be a debate over who should be the woman on the $10. I wonder if Hillary will weigh in.

She should back a movement to put herself on the $10.  Tongue

Unfortunately for her, the rules require that only dead people can be on the money. Otherwise I'm sure Trump would already have weighed in that putting him on the $10 would be a HUUUUUGE boost and much better than any LOOOOOSER woman.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies