Hillary backs Tubman on $20 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:49:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Hillary backs Tubman on $20 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hillary backs Tubman on $20  (Read 5941 times)
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« on: May 15, 2015, 05:28:36 PM »

I don't see any big issue with this though I would prefer Eleanor Roosevelt. But whatever. Hard thing to be opposed to.

^This. Harriet Tubman would be great, but I'd prefer Eleanor Roosevelt.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 11:06:41 AM »

The thing is, the Republican Party was different back in the day. Back then, the Democratic Party was full of racist Dixiecrats. For example, much more Republicans supported the Civil Rights Act than Democrats. To be honest, I might have supported the Republican Party back then too, while disagreeing with them on economic policy.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 06:55:06 PM »

Don't be so sure. There was a debate even about whether or not MLK day should be a national holiday. Reagan opposed it.

Great issue to push, will cause countless conservatives to say terrible things.

I can see it now. Huckabee defending the Trail of Tears, Trump calling Harriet Tubman ugly, countless Republicans saying Reagan deserves it more thereby completely missing the point. Glorious.

It would be glorious if because Hillary came out in support of it, they felt compelled to oppose it. That would just be amazing.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 10:22:50 PM »

I think this thread has proven why this was a good issue for Hillary to champion. You don't need to understand politics to understand the concept. Many women and nonwhites will especially embrace the idea and a certain element will vehemently oppose it. And those who are running for the GOP nomination could get caught in the middle when asked to take a stand. It may not come up in a debate, but you can be sure that eventually some reporter is going to ask one of them, and then (especially if the first guy flubs it) the press will ask all the others. Remember how 'would you go to a gay wedding?' made the rounds and how 'was the Iraq war a mistake?' is the new thing? 

^Yes, it is glorious watching them trip over themselves on things that shouldn't even be political issues. Like I said before, I really hope they decide to oppose this just because Hillary supports it. That would be great.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 08:51:35 PM »

^That would certainly be fitting given the "bad relations" (to put it lightly) between the Jackson administration and Native Americans.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 09:59:33 PM »

Ready for Eleanor!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies