Hillary backs Tubman on $20 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:03:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Hillary backs Tubman on $20 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hillary backs Tubman on $20  (Read 5990 times)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« on: May 15, 2015, 01:44:43 AM »
« edited: May 15, 2015, 02:30:08 AM by Likely Voter »

so Hillary has jumped on the #womenon20s campaign and backs the pick of Harriet Tubman to replace Andrew Jackson on the 20 dollar bill.
http://time.com/3858943/hillary-clinton-harriet-tubman-20-dollar-bill/

While this may seem like a fringe issue, the US Treasurer has said it is worth considering, Obama has said he thinks it is a good idea and there are bills in both the House and Senate about this. The #womenon20s thing has been big on social media and I think it is a good issue for Hillary and low info female voters.

It would be interesting to see how GOP 2016ers respond to the question "do you support a woman/Harriet Tubman on the $20".  Any answer but yes helps reinforce the stereotype of the GOP as the party for old white men. But the GOP base could not be happy with the idea of a black woman replacing a southern (white) president.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 09:42:25 PM »

I think this thread has proven why this was a good issue for Hillary to champion. You don't need to understand politics to understand the concept. Many women and nonwhites will especially embrace the idea and a certain element will vehemently oppose it. And those who are running for the GOP nomination could get caught in the middle when asked to take a stand. It may not come up in a debate, but you can be sure that eventually some reporter is going to ask one of them, and then (especially if the first guy flubs it) the press will ask all the others. Remember how 'would you go to a gay wedding?' made the rounds and how 'was the Iraq war a mistake?' is the new thing? 
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 09:30:05 PM »

A quick update, today the Treasury Dept. announced that a woman will be chosen for the redesigned $10 bill. They haven't decided on who yet, but are seeking public input. It will come out in 2020, the 100th anniversary of giving women the vote (via 19th ammend.)
https://thenew10.treasury.gov/
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 09:40:14 PM »

well as I noted in the US General thread on this, the $10 was already announced to be the next bill up for a redesign so the process was already in place.  That doesn't mean that when they get around to the $20 they wont replace Jackson as well.

Now that it is a for sure thing there will be a debate over who should be the woman on the $10. I wonder if Hillary will weigh in. And will any GOP 2016ers weigh in (on the decision for it to be a woman and/or the choice of the woman)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 10:01:26 PM »

Now that it is a for sure thing there will be a debate over who should be the woman on the $10. I wonder if Hillary will weigh in.

She should back a movement to put herself on the $10.  Tongue

Unfortunately for her, the rules require that only dead people can be on the money. Otherwise I'm sure Trump would already have weighed in that putting him on the $10 would be a HUUUUUGE boost and much better than any LOOOOOSER woman.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies