BREAKING: Boston Bomber sentenced to death
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:37:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: Boston Bomber sentenced to death
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: BREAKING: Boston Bomber sentenced to death  (Read 7573 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2015, 03:29:58 PM »

Oppose the state killing any its own citizens on ideological grounds, but can't feel sorry for this guy at all.

He certainly didn't.

And to the poster who said, "Aren't we supposed to be better than them?" ... WE ARE.  We're ridding the world of an unrepentant, psychopathic murderer who made a direct attack on our innocent citizens and, more broadly, our way of life.

Good decision, and I hope he rots in hell.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2015, 03:33:18 PM »

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2015, 03:33:51 PM »

Hope everyone has fun with years and years of appeals.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2015, 03:36:44 PM »

To those who say 'we're ridding the world of evil!!' I have to ask why? My personal ethical and moral opposition to the death penalty aside, I have to ask why. Why the death penalty when he'll never ever get out of that prison in Colorado to hurt someone ever gain. What does this seek to achieve  other than creating a martyr to be held in high regard. You're giving him the short end of the stick.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2015, 03:38:27 PM »

I can't believe it but I actually agree with kaljewt on this one.

I understand the need for retribution, but retribution is about getting even. The state doesn't need to get even with guys like this because the state is already so dominant over him. Now if he had killed more people than your standard domestic family murder suicide situation, or there was some sort of war going on and our "side" we're losing, then I wouldn't hesitate to shoot him in retaliation for participating in four murders. But there is no contest for supremacy, there is only judgement, so we can afford to be merciful.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2015, 03:45:09 PM »

People really ought to have a little more compassion for humanity. Really despicable outcome.

Sorry.  I have zero compassion for someone who obviously had no compassion for the innocent people he killed and maimed. 

I thought we're suppoused to be better than them.

We are better than them.  People who don't kill people are better than people who do.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2015, 03:45:57 PM »

So I guess this case will now be wronged out for a further ten years, all for the case of executing one evil little twerp? (And possibly inspiring further copycats)

I think the good comparison is with Anders Behring Brievik. Although many people clamoured for him to be killed, he is still alive. And that was a good outcome, because he has revealed himself to be a spoilt halfwit and not some diabolical mastermind. No Neo-Nazi can make Brievik into a figurehead to rally behind after his numerous tantrums in court. Tsarnaev should not be allowed to become a romantic figurehead, who 'died for a cause'. That plays into the wrong people's hands.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2015, 03:48:13 PM »

To those who say 'we're ridding the world of evil!!' I have to ask why? My personal ethical and moral opposition to the death penalty aside, I have to ask why. Why the death penalty when he'll never ever get out of that prison in Colorado to hurt someone ever gain. What does this seek to achieve  other than creating a martyr to be held in high regard. You're giving him the short end of the stick.

I won't get into a huge debate because this is one of the few political issues where I form my opinion largely with my "gut" more than with cold, hard logic, but I will at least give you the courtesy of a response: there are certain people who have so disrespected others' lives that I think they need to lose the very thing they took.  I know, I know, the prison might be worse than death, he'll likely never escape and it really doesn't do anyone "any good" to execute him ... but I do not think he deserves to even inhale another breath or have another thought; I don't think he deserves one more second of being conscious or  sentient.

I'm sure that sounds ridiculous to many, but that's how I feel.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2015, 03:48:54 PM »

Putting Tsarnaev to death won't serve any purpose at all. Some may feel better for a short moment, but their loved ones are gone forever and their wounds will never be completely healed. It won't deter anybody and Tsarnaev will only get off easier than rotting in prison for the rest of his life. And the whole notion of "retributive justice" is useless to society.

As of those who feel happy about a fellow man being executed without having any connection to the case, I can't help thinking of them as a bit bloodthirsty. "Justice is served" is a pathetic excuse for their own primitive instincts.

This isn't manslaughter or second degree murder, it's first degree premeditated murder. There's no doubt about who committed the murder. It wasn't just 1 killing, it was 4, 1 of which was done to a minor and another of which was done to a police officer for the purpose of escaping punishment. It wasn't done because one of the victims did something to provoke him, it was murder for the sake of murder. The people on the jury came in with varying views on the death penalty.

There is literally no legitimate reason not to kill him. I'm sorry, but blaming one's brother or the state's perceived ideolological bias is not an acceptable reason to keep a criminal alive. He has lost all right to life, and no other punishment besides death fits his crime.

To those who say 'we're ridding the world of evil!!' I have to ask why? My personal ethical and moral opposition to the death penalty aside, I have to ask why. Why the death penalty when he'll never ever get out of that prison in Colorado to hurt someone ever gain. What does this seek to achieve  other than creating a martyr to be held in high regard. You're giving him the short end of the stick.

I won't get into a huge debate because this is one of the few political issues where I form my opinion largely with my "gut" more than with cold, hard logic, but I will at least give you the courtesy of a response: there are certain people who have so disrespected others' lives that I think they need to lose the very thing they took.  I know, I know, the prison might be worse than death, he'll likely never escape and it really doesn't do anyone "any good" to execute him ... but I do not think he deserves to even inhale another breath or have another thought; I don't think he deserves one more second of being conscious or  sentient.

I'm sure that sounds ridiculous to many, but that's how I feel.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2015, 03:54:05 PM »

I don't agree with the death penalty. Showing the murder is wrong by murdering someone is double standards.

The death penalty is an easy way out - life imprisonment is a bigger punishment.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2015, 03:56:12 PM »

Proper retribution would be for him to rot in a prison for the rest of his life. He should be tossed away and forgotten, denied of his fame and martyrdom. If hell doesn't exist, at least he would've been able to experience hell on earth.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2015, 03:59:27 PM »

I'm sure the jury drawn from the citizens of the city that Tsarnaev bombed was the picture of objectivity and dispassion in coming to this decision.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2015, 04:09:50 PM »

But the death penalty is not used in Massachusetts. On what state grounds are they executing him on?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2015, 04:11:34 PM »

But the death penalty is not used in Massachusetts. On what state grounds are they executing him on?

Tsarnaev was charged with federal crimes.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2015, 04:16:59 PM »

Tsarnaev was charged with federal crimes.
Ok then.

By the way, everyone, it takes a long time to get executed. He may still be in there four years from now.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2015, 04:17:24 PM »

It's entirely reasonable to think of someone as the scum of the earth but still prefer him to live with that and to be constrained by that rather than being executed.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2015, 04:26:55 PM »

Oppose the state killing any its own citizens on ideological grounds, but can't feel sorry for this guy at all.

He certainly didn't.

And to the poster who said, "Aren't we supposed to be better than them?" ... WE ARE.  We're ridding the world of an unrepentant, psychopathic murderer who made a direct attack on our innocent citizens and, more broadly, our way of life.

This is precisely why death penalty supporters bug me.  You guys believe that his execution is just the beginning of his punishment, when the rest of us know that's it's the premature end.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2015, 04:39:48 PM »

He certainly didn't.

This is precisely why death penalty supporters bug me.  You guys believe that his execution is just the beginning of his punishment, when the rest of us think that's it's the premature end.

edited. It's impossible to truly prove or disprove the existence of hell.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2015, 04:43:00 PM »

He certainly didn't.

This is precisely why death penalty supporters bug me.  You guys believe that his execution is just the beginning of his punishment, when the rest of us know that's it's the premature end.

Plenty of people who oppose the death penalty sincerely believe in an afterlife and plenty of people who support it don't.  That's not really the issue here.  It's 1. Application in more ambiguous cases 2. Evidence of racism in its use  and 3. Fundamental "thou shalt not kill" moral concerns

This is the rare case where #1 and #2 simply can't be said to apply.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2015, 04:46:03 PM »

He certainly didn't.

This is precisely why death penalty supporters bug me.  You guys believe that his execution is just the beginning of his punishment, when the rest of us think that's it's the premature end.

edited. It's impossible to truly prove or disprove the existence of hell.

you want to send him there more quickly?  doesn't seem like the Christian thing to do.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2015, 04:58:43 PM »

Hope everyone has fun with years and years of appeals.
It'll just be years since it's a Federal case. Only one set of courts to deal with instead of the two that one has to deal with in a State case.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2015, 05:00:01 PM »

I had hoped that seeing evidence of just how devastating an attack by a couple of angry kids with no network or training can be would convince people to attempt to avoid making more of them. My sympathies lie with the innocent people who will die at the hands of those inspired by Tsarnaev's martyrdom.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2015, 05:06:57 PM »

I had hoped that seeing evidence of just how devastating an attack by a couple of angry kids with no network or training can be would convince people to attempt to avoid making more of them. My sympathies lie with the innocent people who will die at the hands of those inspired by Tsarnaev's martyrdom.
Given how his defense consisted of "my brother made me do it", it'll be Tamerlan rather than Dzhokar who'll be the inspiration, if either of them is.
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2015, 05:22:36 PM »

Not really a fan of the death penalty, but I can't say I'm particularly bothered by this outcome.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2015, 05:34:00 PM »

Not really a fan of I'm against the death penalty, but I can't say I'm particularly bothered by this outcome.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies