BREAKING: Boston Bomber sentenced to death (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:16:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: Boston Bomber sentenced to death (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BREAKING: Boston Bomber sentenced to death  (Read 7635 times)
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« on: May 15, 2015, 02:46:14 PM »

Horrible, horrible decision.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 09:31:12 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2015, 09:36:34 PM by Pacific Speaker Türkisblau »

As someone who is unconditionally pro-life, I feel distressed, disappointed, and overall let down by both this decision and the incredibly inhumane way many here have responded. It is especially concerning when those of faith respond in such a way.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 10:47:00 PM »

Odd how those who want terrorist Tsarnaev to live are the ones who wear the "I had an abortion!" t-shirts.

"The new evangelization calls for followers of Christ who are unconditionally pro-life: who will proclaim, celebrate and serve the Gospel of life in every situation. A sign of hope is the increasing recognition that the dignity of human life must never be taken away, even in the case of someone who has done great evil. . . . I renew the appeal I made . . . for a consensus to end the death penalty, which is both cruel and unnecessary." -Pope John Paul II

Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 10:53:03 PM »

As someone who is unconditionally pro-life, I feel distressed, disappointed, and overall let down by both this decision and the incredibly inhumane way many here have responded. It is especially concerning when those of faith respond in such a way.

Um, other than the adultery/stoning passage, I don't see anything where Jesus would condemn a government for carrying out a prescribed penalty for violating a crime, especially as something as heinous as murder.  I don't know what Jesus would think, but empirically, most Christians are pro-death penalty, and probably at a higher rate than the rest of the country. 

I understand we have different moral systems, but why are you "distressed" by a criminal who hates society getting his just deserts?  If he got life without parole, it would have a similar effect, and I'm sure  you wouldn't criticize that.   So what's the big difference?

Lol, your ignorance of theology is showing. Also arguments like "but people who are religious are pro-death penalty!" doesn't disprove the fact that Christian teaching runs counter to any concept of the death penalty. Did you even read the quote I put in my post?

Here's some more from the US Conference of Catholic Bishops:

The fact that you think that Jesus, who explicit taught forgiveness, would not condemn the modern use of the death penalty is just ignorant. He was not nearly as hypocritical as many on the religious right are today...

Why does it distress me? It's morally heinous public policy and destroys our society when we find it prudent to fight atrocities with more atrocities. We are continuing down a path that is untenable when we continue the use of the death  penalty.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies