Bush/Quayle (R) vs. Gore/Boren (D) 1988
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:58:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Bush/Quayle (R) vs. Gore/Boren (D) 1988
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bush/Quayle (R) vs. Gore/Boren (D) 1988  (Read 1790 times)
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 15, 2015, 07:49:50 PM »

What if Al Gore had been nominated in 1988 and had chosen conservative Sen. David Boren (D-OK) as his running mate?

A close win for the Democrats who would win some states they have not won in a long time, yet lost others because their ticket was TOO conservative and Southern. 

In the end, it's Gore/Boren (D) 274 EV, Bush/Quayle (R) 264 EV.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 07:55:10 PM »

What if Al Gore had been nominated in 1988 and had chosen conservative Sen. David Boren (D-OK) as his running mate?

A close win for the Democrats who would win some states they have not won in a long time, yet lost others because their ticket was TOO conservative and Southern. 

In the end, it's Gore/Boren (D) 274 EV, Bush/Quayle (R) 264 EV.
Good map. Gore might even have a shot at IL, KS, SD and ND with the farm crisis. He certainly would have been a fighter unlike Dukakis, and the campaign of voodoo and doodoo would be consigned to the dustbin.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 10:42:59 PM »

All but Oklahoma seems about right
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 10:46:08 PM »

I could see a left-wing third party pop up in this scenario. IIRC Gore was still pro life at this point plus a lot of people were pissed at his PMRC involvement.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 09:04:02 AM »

IIRC, Gore had become pro-choice prior to his 1988 run.  He was perceived as the less liberal candidate in 1988, but he was clearly a national Democrat; much more so than Jimmy Carter prior to 1973.  Boren was more conservative than Gore, and, possibly, a wee bit more conservative than Lloyd Bentsen, the actual 1988 VP nominee, but he was a guy who at least endorsed the national ticket; he knew that disowning the national ticket would be the death knell of any national ambitions he may have.

I doubt there would have been a third party or liberal independent movement of any kind.  Gore would have been acceptable to liberal activists in ways that Carter never was.  More importantly, the Democrats were desperate in 1988 in ways they hadn't been since the 1920s.  The Democrats were where the GOP is now; they dominated state and local politics, but could not elect a President due to the lack of fluidity in the Electoral College.  Indeed, they were worse off than the GOP is now because of how far behind they were the GOP in terms of a base vote.  After 1984, it could be said with accuracy that the Presidential base of the Democratic Party didn't go beyond the District of Columbia.  Had Mondale been from a more Republican state than Minnesota, the GOP may have been looking at a 50 state sweep.

In that environment, no serious Democrat would have ever attempted a third party run.  No one would have wanted to be responsible for the debacle that would have ensued in a year when the Democrats had a chance to win.  Which Democrat would have attempted this silly idea?  McGovern?  I doubt it?  McCarthy?  He was irrelevant at the time. 

I do think that the Democrats, with Boren on the ticket, would have carried Oklahoma in 1988.  It's hard to believe now, but Oklahoma was around the national average for Dukakis; maybe a little bit below, but it was more Democratic at the local level, and Dukakis actually carried a Congressional district in OK and barely lost another.  (The slump in agriculture during the Reagan years was an issue.)  I don't think that this ticket would have carried all of the New England states, as Bush was still considered a moderate Republican in 1988 and states like MI, NJ, and OH had suburban voters that were opposed to busing to achieve racial balance in schools.  Politics was different then, and less ideological. 
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 09:16:52 AM »

IIRC, Gore had become pro-choice prior to his 1988 run.  He was perceived as the less liberal candidate in 1988, but he was clearly a national Democrat; much more so than Jimmy Carter prior to 1973.  Boren was more conservative than Gore, and, possibly, a wee bit more conservative than Lloyd Bentsen, the actual 1988 VP nominee, but he was a guy who at least endorsed the national ticket; he knew that disowning the national ticket would be the death knell of any national ambitions he may have.

I doubt there would have been a third party or liberal independent movement of any kind.  Gore would have been acceptable to liberal activists in ways that Carter never was.  More importantly, the Democrats were desperate in 1988 in ways they hadn't been since the 1920s.  The Democrats were where the GOP is now; they dominated state and local politics, but could not elect a President due to the lack of fluidity in the Electoral College.  Indeed, they were worse off than the GOP is now because of how far behind they were the GOP in terms of a base vote.  After 1984, it could be said with accuracy that the Presidential base of the Democratic Party didn't go beyond the District of Columbia.  Had Mondale been from a more Republican state than Minnesota, the GOP may have been looking at a 50 state sweep.

In that environment, no serious Democrat would have ever attempted a third party run.  No one would have wanted to be responsible for the debacle that would have ensued in a year when the Democrats had a chance to win.  Which Democrat would have attempted this silly idea?  McGovern?  I doubt it?  McCarthy?  He was irrelevant at the time. 

I do think that the Democrats, with Boren on the ticket, would have carried Oklahoma in 1988.  It's hard to believe now, but Oklahoma was around the national average for Dukakis; maybe a little bit below, but it was more Democratic at the local level, and Dukakis actually carried a Congressional district in OK and barely lost another.  (The slump in agriculture during the Reagan years was an issue.)  I don't think that this ticket would have carried all of the New England states, as Bush was still considered a moderate Republican in 1988 and states like MI, NJ, and OH had suburban voters that were opposed to busing to achieve racial balance in schools.  Politics was different then, and less ideological. 
^^^This. That's why I don't see conservative voters defecting from the GOP in any significant numbers in 2016 if the nominee, say Jeb Bush, nominates Portman or Collins for VP. It's also why I thought Palin was such a drag on McCain in '08.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 02:06:08 PM »

Gore is able to gain much ground in the South and among Midwestern farmers, but he comes across as, while knowledgeable and an effective debater, inexperienced and often unfriendly.  Some on the left abandon him due to his stand on such things as military spending and his inconsistency on cultural issues, combined with his VP choice.    Bush wins, though Gore is able to make it close.

Bush / Quayle      50.1%   332
Gore / Boren        47.6%   206
Fulani / Dattner      1.1%   
Paul / Marrou           .6%
McCarthy / Rice        .4%
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 02:49:08 PM »

More like:

Gore '88 would win the  California narrowly by the Bay Area, LA, and various Central Valley counties Dukakis narrowly lost

He'd win Arizona by a strong stumping from Bruce Babbitt, and Boren would probably help him greatly, same thing with Nevada.

Pennsylvania he'd win by Pittsburgh, Philly, and most of the Appalachian counties.

Still barely lose Illinois and Maryland though
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 11:19:42 PM »

Gore, Bentsen, or Clinton would have been the Dems best chances in 1988.  Dukakis was a primary ruler but when it got to the general he proved he wasn't capable of running a center campaign or be man enough to defend himself from attacks. He was simply incompetent to lead both as a candidate and his organization wasn't right either.

Gore could very well have a Clinton effect 4 years earlier. He wasn't as liberal as he was in later years and could reach more to the center so if he could get the basic base excited he would have had a chance.  Besides Bush Sr didn't really light the world on fire that year he ran a bland campaign made worse by a horrendous VP selection. He only took off once Dukakis got into the groove of doing foolish things and making himself a punching bag.

The only Dem I see going Indy is Jesse Jackson maybe but I doubt it. He'd probably help Gore campaign in the south because he did so well there in the primaries. As for his VP I see either sticking with Bentsen, going with Boren, or pulling a 180 and getting Bill to be his vp but since it's a thread I'll stick with Boren I guess.

Gore/Boren-313
Bush/Quayle-225

Gore's main test would be to connect with the Reagan Democrats that had been lost to the Dems since 1980. He would also have to respond to Bush's attacks on his age and other deals.  However he would win by making gains in the south by picking off several states and upsetting Bush in Cali and Michigan.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies