When will the USA have the first millenial (Y) president?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:08:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  When will the USA have the first millenial (Y) president?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: When will the USA have the first millenial (Y) president?  (Read 3137 times)
ChainsawJedis
Tj Hare
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2015, 10:08:21 PM »
« edited: May 22, 2015, 10:13:08 PM by ChainsawJedis »

I love how everyone has a different definition for what a Millennial is.

My favorite and the one I hear the most is something like 1982-1998 births.

The idea that any span of births crossing the 80s and 90s could be a culturally coherent generation is bullsh[inks]. Consider, someone born in 1985 was 16 during 9/11, old enough to understand what it was. Someone born in 1995 was 6, and wouldn't become politically aware until well after the Iraq War; whereas the '85 kid might well have been deployed to Iraq. The 1995 kid wasn't old enough to care about Obama, while the '85 kid put her hopes and dreams on the big O. The '85 kid graduated college into a recession, and feels cheated. The '95 kid grew up in the "new normal" sh[inks] economy, and knows full well that his degree won't land him a job out of college.

Our experiences are completely different. Generation theory only works if the generations are like 4-8 years long. I think categorizing political generations by who was president when they graduated high school is a more interesting exercise. "Millennials" break down like this (using Strouss-Howe's age range iirc):

1980-82: Clinton Generation
1983-90: W. Bush Generation
1991-98: Obama Generation
1999-04: "Next" Generation

Not necessarily, a 13-year old in 2008 would certainly know about the 2008 campaign and his or her parents may have had an effect. Besides, elections are always big news regardless of age.

Atlas People, you don't get it. Think of a sport that doesn't interest you and that you don't follow. That is how most people feel about politics and elections. Other than Election Day and blurbs on the news that they may not even fully listen to, they don't pay attention or care. And I'm talking about the adults. There are 13 year olds who do not know who the candidates of the most recent presidential election were.

And rightfully so. My god, why would anyone want an 10 year old to know about Mitt Romney? That's obscene.

I'd like to make the point that I am that 1995 kid and I was at least generally aware of what was going on during the 2008 election. 2012 I was more involved but the race generally bored me and I couldn't vote anyways so I didn't give it much attention. 2016 is the first race I have actually followed far before.

I tend to define a Gen Y or Millennial as someone from 1980-82 to 1996-98. Anyone born after that doesn't really have any memory of 9/11 or it's immediate aftermath.(I vaugley remember it, but clearly remember the capturing of Saddam, the Anthrax poisonings, and the 2004 election.) Anyone born after that, I've heard it referred to as Generation Z, among other things, will not really remember not being involved in the middle east, or a life without the internet.

As for President, I would say sometime in the 2030's, maybe 2028 if you got a very young Kennedy-esque candidate born in the early 80's.
bobloblaw
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2015, 03:16:47 PM »

The idea that any span of births crossing the 80s and 90s could be a culturally coherent generation is bullsh[inks]. Consider, someone born in 1985 was 16 during 9/11, old enough to understand what it was. Someone born in 1995 was 6, and wouldn't become politically aware until well after the Iraq War; whereas the '85 kid might well have been deployed to Iraq. The 1995 kid wasn't old enough to care about Obama, while the '85 kid put her hopes and dreams on the big O. The '85 kid graduated college into a recession, and feels cheated. The '95 kid grew up in the "new normal" sh[inks] economy, and knows full well that his degree won't land him a job out of college.

Our experiences are completely different. Generation theory only works if the generations are like 4-8 years long. I think categorizing political generations by who was president when they graduated high school is a more interesting exercise. "Millennials" break down like this (using Strouss-Howe's age range iirc):

Not necessarily, a 13-year old in 2008 would certainly know about the 2008 campaign and his or her parents may have had an effect. Besides, elections are always big news regardless of age.

Atlas People, you don't get it. Think of a sport that doesn't interest you and that you don't follow. That is how most people feel about politics and elections. Other than Election Day and blurbs on the news that they may not even fully listen to, they don't pay attention or care. And I'm talking about the adults. There are 13 year olds who do not know who the candidates of the most recent presidential election were.

And rightfully so. My god, why would anyone want an 10 year old to know about Mitt Romney? That's obscene.

I'd like to make the point that I am that 1995 kid and I was at least generally aware of what was going on during the 2008 election. 2012 I was more involved but the race generally bored me and I couldn't vote anyways so I didn't give it much attention. 2016 is the first race I have actually followed far before.

I tend to define a Gen Y or Millennial as someone from 1980-82 to 1996-98. Anyone born after that doesn't really have any memory of 9/11 or it's immediate aftermath.(I vaugley remember it, but clearly remember the capturing of Saddam, the Anthrax poisonings, and the 2004 election.) Anyone born after that, I've heard it referred to as Generation Z, among other things, will not really remember not being involved in the middle east, or a life without the internet.

As for President, I would say sometime in the 2030's, maybe 2028 if you got a very young Kennedy-esque candidate born in the early 80's.

Given that millennials are failures and under achievers, Id say possibly never.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2015, 05:36:27 PM »

Given that millennials are failures and under achievers, Id say possibly never.

With anybody else, I'd relish the opportunity to destroy this statement and the conception that Millennials are lazy. But then I remember it's you, and you'll probably go into a tangent about something something evil lying city leftists and something something you don't know what you're talking about.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2015, 12:04:45 PM »

The idea that the biggest generational cohort ever won't produce a President at some point is kind of hilarious. (Yes, bigger than the subsequent one...birth rates in the late 2000s-2010s have been pretty anemic)

Granted if we keep having two-termers like we have been, there will be a lot fewer vacancies than there were in more unsettled times. (5 presidents in the 20 years 1961-1981 vs 3 presidents in the 24 years 1993-2017 offers far less opportunities for individual presidents from various cohorts).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2015, 01:42:04 PM »

The silent generation never had a POTUS.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2015, 09:12:23 PM »

1929-1945 was an era of pretty low birthrates, though (especially the tail end of that). It's also far and away the shortest timespan of these generational cohorts, IIRC.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2015, 09:27:40 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2015, 09:37:26 PM by RR1997 »

Maybe Atlas freaks did, but I was born in '95, post here, and didn't give a sh**t about politics in eighth grade. I can assure you nobody I know in real life was "following the election."

Really? Everyone at my school followed the election back when I was 11 (2008 election) and when I was 15 (2012 election). Everyone knew who candidates were and everything. No one followed the midterms, but nearly everyone followed the presidential election to some extent. Even the people who didn't give two sh**ts about politics (at the very least) knew who the candidates were. Many even had political opinions (although when I was 11, most of the political opinions other student had were inherited from their parents).
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2015, 09:33:43 PM »

It could be as early as the 2020's if we have a president as young as JFK was, but more realistically late 2030's or early 2040's.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2015, 10:17:52 PM »

Hopefully never.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2015, 11:19:19 PM »

Maybe Atlas freaks did, but I was born in '95, post here, and didn't give a sh**t about politics in eighth grade. I can assure you nobody I know in real life was "following the election."

Really? Everyone at my school followed the election back when I was 11 (2008 election) and when I was 15 (2012 election). Everyone knew who candidates were and everything. No one followed the midterms, but nearly everyone followed the presidential election to some extent. Even the people who didn't give two sh**ts about politics (at the very least) knew who the candidates were. Many even had political opinions (although when I was 11, most of the political opinions other student had were inherited from their parents).

I'm not exactly the same age as you, but I had basically the same experience.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2015, 06:04:25 AM »

I take my office on January 20th, 2041, just to let you all know.

Maybe as my Vice President Wink.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2015, 08:12:42 PM »

TBH I'll actually be defeating you in my first* reelection campaign, having won my first term in 2036.

*#repealthe22nd
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2015, 01:15:21 PM »

41 and Carter were both born at the end of the Silent Generation.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2015, 01:23:41 PM »

TBH I'll actually be defeating you in my first* reelection campaign, having won my first term in 2036.

*#repealthe22nd

I guess I lost in that 2036 campaign then.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2015, 04:23:47 PM »

2028. Beat y'all to the punch.

*#repealthe22nd

I guess I lost in that 2036 campaign then.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies