why are criminal defense lawyers overwhelmingly male?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:39:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  why are criminal defense lawyers overwhelmingly male?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: why are criminal defense lawyers overwhelmingly male?  (Read 297 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 16, 2015, 12:57:20 AM »

I watch a lot of crime shows and would surmise that DAs and ADAs are about 50/50 male-female. When it comes to defense lawyers, I'd guess it would be more 85-15 male-female.

Being a crimdef lawyer has to be pretty hard since in most cases, the ball is already in the red zone and a trial (if the defendant doesn't plead guilty) is a mere 1-yard dive play. Since lawyers were disproportionately male in the past, is it possibly because most criminal defense lawyers have years of experience (and many started out as prosecutors) and many female lawyers are just starting out (thus in DA offices) that explains this?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 01:26:33 AM »

Since lawyers were disproportionately male in the past, is it possibly because most criminal defense lawyers have years of experience (and many started out as prosecutors) and many female lawyers are just starting out (thus in DA offices) that explains this?

Yeah, the lower on the totem pole you get, the more women there are. For example in Biglaw, women make up 70 percent of staff attorneys, nearly half of associates, a third of counsel, and 15 percent of equity partners.[1]. It's really no different in law than in any profession. Whenever someone says, 'gee why do we need feminism, women are equal already, look at how many are graduating from college', I think of this sort of pattern across professions.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 06:24:51 AM »

Damn, only 85% male?  My field (generically, IT) it's more like 95% male and even worse in my specific corner of IT (there are only a few hundred people on Earth that do what I do, and I've met many of them....I've yet to meet a lady, but I've heard they exist).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies