Mohamed Morsi sentenced to death by Egyptian court
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:22:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Mohamed Morsi sentenced to death by Egyptian court
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mohamed Morsi sentenced to death by Egyptian court  (Read 1000 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 16, 2015, 12:16:46 PM »

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/16/mohammed-morsi-sentenced-death-egyptian-court-former-president

For "jailbreak"...
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 07:26:56 PM »

I find it ironic that the Egyptians raised hell over having Hosni Mubarak as their president and ultimately wound up with the Egyptian version of Than Shwe.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 08:21:36 PM »

I think is a miscalculation by General Sisi. This will just make Morsi a martyr.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 08:27:56 PM »

Well that revolution lasted didn't it.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 09:12:54 PM »

I can't actually believe this. Have they really done this? From whatever perspective you look at this from, it makes no sense whatsoever?

Honestly, I first have to ask, have they rehabilitated Mubarak over there? Does the government no longer consider him to have been a dictator and autocrat? If not, then why on earth would breaking out of a jail- as the 2011 Revolution was underway- in which one was put for political reasons by the authoritarian regime, constitute any sort of crime? It's like a person in West Germany, after the war, being tried for escaping from a concentration camp.

Also, how does "breaking out of prison" manage to merit the death penalty? I mean, yes, if they had convicted him of killing some people this would make sense. Apparently he's already been given 20 years for "ordering the arrest and torture of protesters". By what logic does "escaping from prison", regardless of circumstance, somehow merit execution while torture doesn't? And all this while Mubarak is already half-free?

As a political move it makes the least sense of all. You overthrow a person who won your country's first free and fair election in history with just over half the vote.  Yes, he was a nasty Islamist who, "deep state" or not, did a rather slapdash job of running the country, while trying to exempt himself from the confines of the law. But then you then re-ban his political party, re-imprison their leaders, and, when you run, struggle to get people to vote for you so badly that you have to leave the polls open for three days to attain a level of turnout that is just barely respectable. One might take this a sign that you probably have something of a legitimacy problem with a non-negligible segment of the population and ought to avoid inflaming tensions. But instead you have him sentenced to death. Hopefully the Grand Mufti does the right thing and blocks the sentence- I'd have no problem with Morsi staying behind bars for decades, because he'd actually deserve it.

I find it ironic that the Egyptians raised hell over having Hosni Mubarak as their president and ultimately wound up with the Egyptian version of Than Shwe.

Although that might be a bit harsh.

The problem is that the Egyptians managed to give themselves a truly awful in the 2012 runoff- Mubarak's last PM, Shafik or Morsi. Neither one of those was going to end well- Shafik basically ran on a platform of "Mubarak with less corruption and more military", which is essentially what they ended up getting with El Sisi.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 11:34:53 PM »

Not even North Korea hands out death sentences like candy on such a scale.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 06:42:41 AM »

The reason Morsi got the death penalty was because a guard died under the jailbreak. Of course it a higher court this sentence will (likely) be changed to a life sentence as there's usual tradition for that in Egypt.

Of course I have a hard time feeling sorry for Morsi, it's quite impressive to be overthrown by a coalition of Secularists, Liberals, the Christian minorities ... and Salafists. It's quite a statement about the incompetence of Morsi that such coalition could be created against him.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 08:06:38 AM »

There isn't much chance this gets carried out. I hope it doesn't....that would likely start more trouble in a country that doesn't need any more troubles.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 09:30:42 AM »

I think is a miscalculation by General Sisi. This will just make Morsi a martyr.

It is not a miscalculation: it is the eesence of his regime. Unless every Egyptian is shut-scared of him, he has no chance of survival. He will continue killing - that is his only chance.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 10:09:33 AM »

I wonder whether, if upheld, he'll actually hang,

Not even North Korea hands out death sentences like candy on such a scale.

No kidding. They're giving a couple of hundreds death sentences per one trial.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 10:28:40 PM »

It is not a miscalculation: it is the eesence of his regime. Unless every Egyptian is shut-scared of him, he has no chance of survival. He will continue killing - that is his only chance.

But for how long can this be sustained? Egypt isn't North Korea.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 10:57:19 PM »

But for how long can this be sustained? Egypt isn't North Korea.

Well, I would guess they need at least another, say, 5 years, may be a bit more. Eventually, once everybody is properly scared, they can relax and only have relapses every couple of years or so.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 03:35:46 PM »

Bah, this is pure revenge only, the Muslim Brotherhood succeed in the short the period they had power to make everyone hate them. The Secularists/Establishment hate them because they're uppity commoneers, the liberals hate them because they're conservative assholes, the Christians hate them because they're unpleasant Muslim fundamentalists and the Salafists hate them for modern city slickers who wanted to mordernise Islam (through not in the manner Westners would like). Throwing them in prisons or giving them the capital punishment make all these groups happy.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 07:13:09 PM »

Bah, this is pure revenge only, the Muslim Brotherhood succeed in the short the period they had power to make everyone hate them. The Secularists/Establishment hate them because they're uppity commoneers, the liberals hate them because they're conservative assholes, the Christians hate them because they're unpleasant Muslim fundamentalists and the Salafists hate them for modern city slickers who wanted to mordernise Islam (through not in the manner Westners would like). Throwing them in prisons or giving them the capital punishment make all these groups happy.

There is no evidence that any of those groups are involved in decision-making in Egypt. Nor do we, really, have a way of assessing their views anymore.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 08:01:47 PM »

The relationship the Egyptian government has had with the muslim brotherhood since its inception is fascinating
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies