Do you support Atlasia adopting a bicameral legislature? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:25:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Do you support Atlasia adopting a bicameral legislature? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you support Atlasia adopting a bicameral legislature (by introducing a House of Representatives or some other lower elected body)?
Yes

Yes, but only if the Senate was shrunk to accomodate

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Do you support Atlasia adopting a bicameral legislature?  (Read 2191 times)
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: May 16, 2015, 03:16:39 PM »

No.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 08:00:40 PM »

Depending how you designed the rules, The house could move faster than the Senate. This is certainly possible under the People's House envisoned in the Duke Plan.

As I would see it, the House would pass stuff quicker and the Senate would be the ones to sift through and improve that at about the current pace. And you could have a fast track for emergency stuff with both houses proceeding simultaneously.

Generally speaking though, concerns about effficiency have always been what has hindered a bicameral system in this game. I think those problems could be overcome. When polled in 2013, Duke's proposal (for just the bicameralism portion) had plurality support. It seems opinion has shifted negatively since then.

I'd like a bit of clarification regarding "the current pace". Does this apply to the Senate or both houses?
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 09:23:38 PM »

I would like to reaffirm my staunch and firm opposition to the Fix the Regions Amendment and the Bicameral Birthing Amendment. Quite frankly, the policy to reduce the regions from five to three comes from an archaic system that has already been fixed. Speaker Turkisblau and Governor Simfan have revived the Pacific, Flo has revived the South, and Governor TDAS made the Mideast active once again (as I have faith that windjammer will if he wins). It's also worth noting that Senator TNF has shown his commitment to Atlasia, and that I also have faith in him that the Midwest will be more active under his leadership. Instead of one region without activity problems, we have three, with two regions likely to have active governors by June.

After all, why solve the problems of May and June with a plan from last August and September?
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 11:26:18 PM »

While I appreciate your concerns about the Pacific and Midwest, I trust the people of the Midwest to sort out their activity problems, and I feel they are trending upward. As I've said, TNF has shown his activity and commitment to Atlasia. You have the three members that you yourself has mentioned - bang. There's the four people you need to make the Midwest run. And if one of them retires, I'm sure you or windjammer can recruit someone else - hell, I can name at least one person in the Midwest who would be willing to run if I contacted him. That's a good enough base to build off on.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 01:54:58 AM »
« Edited: May 19, 2015, 03:12:13 AM by Sawx, King of the North »

But since I've whined so much about a three-region plan, why not design my own? I'd have to give a lot of credit to Bacon King, whose plan mine is based off of. Here, the thriving, active regions of the Mideast (hopefully when windjammer takes office) and the Northeast stay largely intact, and the Pacific is divided among the Midwest and the South (creating a new region - the Northwest). The only real difference is aesthetics and population - Kansas and Colorado both stay in the Northwest to balance population between the Northwest and the other regions, Manitoba is added to the Mideast in order to connect Nunavut with the rest of the region by land, and the Northeast is given Nova Scotia, PEI, and Newfoundland to even out the number of provinces each region has.

note: unseen is the transfer of Manitoba to the Mideast and NS, PEI, and NL to the Northeast

Here's a population chart of Atlasia, as of May 18, 2015:

RegionLaborFedTPPCRDRTDotherindTotal
Mideast181331312445
Northeast14492202841
Midwest13521015532
South5871311632
Pacific4346052226
Total54332511881225176
[/quote]

And here is a population chart of my map (as you can see, it's relatively equal and the lowest percentage of population it has to its people is around 22.6%:

This is a plan that I could get behind that allows the Midwest to rebound.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 02:51:57 AM »

As for a plan, here's a rough idea for what the governments of each region would look like today if the Sawx-Bacon Plan went into effect in February (and the Southern Assembly had five seats):

Northeast:

Unchanged from previous

Mideast:

Governor: Gass3268
Senator: windjammer
Assembly: Truman, New Canadaland (S), EarlAW, shua, JCL

Essentially unchanged. I believe that TDAS appoints Gass instead of Motley in this situation.

South:

Governor: Flo
Senator: Cranberry
Assembly: Turkisblau (S), PiT, darthebearnc, Gully Foyle, Spiral

The government is largely dominated by The People's Party, though Labor and the Transcendental Democrats could certainly make a play here at larger seats. Cranberry cannot move to British Columbia because BC is in the Northwest.

Northwest:

Governor: MaxQue or Spamage (depends on if Labor can hold a candidate)
Senator: TNF
Assembly: Dereich, Fuzzybigfoot, Joe Mad

This region is zombie-rich and light in candidates. If each party manages to convert their inactives into living, breathing voters, they (especially the Labor Party) can revive this region easily. Three members might actually be better for now.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies