Who would set the agenda for the Republicans 2001-2006 if Newt was still speaker
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:39:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Who would set the agenda for the Republicans 2001-2006 if Newt was still speaker
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who would set the agenda for the Republicans 2001-2006 if Newt was still speaker  (Read 901 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2015, 01:26:35 AM »

Would the Republicans in Congress let Bush lead them and set their agenda or would Newt(scandal free) , basically torpeodo many of Bush's reforms like NCLB, Medicare part D, iraq war.  From 1994-1998 Clinton was able to hold off Gingrich becuase he is Clinton and an amazing politician but Bush is the opposite, and Newt basically wanted to be the leader of the party.

I would hope they would chose GWB even though Newt would be better then Hastart( Disaster as Speakrr) as he wouldnt give George W Bush everthing he wanted
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 11:25:40 PM »

Newt supported Medicare Part D.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 03:14:12 PM »

The Bush Administration was actually very skilled at throwing non-Bush men in the Republican Party out in the cold the second they were vulnerable, the fall of Trent Lott right as the GOP retook the Senate in 2002 and the replacement with weak and solidly-pro-Administration Bill Frist as Senate Majority Leader is the key example.

Gingrich would have been impossible to control from 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue: Gingrich was an egomaniac (an ego backed up by higher skill and creativity than the vast majority of Republican politicians) and not the type to bow to Bush's agenda. However, Gingrich was a career lightning rod and was very good at alienating fellow Republicans, and I could easily see a situation where Tom DeLay masterminded an anti-Gingrich coup to put a patsy like Hastert in the Speakership with Administration support, to be sprung the next time Gingrich inevitably shot his mouth off and said something controversial.
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 09:11:21 AM »

I doubt it ever would have happened...

1. Bush probably wouldn't have won if Gingrich had still been Speaker. The election was so close that ads tying him to Gingrich (even if they were bogus) could've made the difference.

2. Even if impeachment hadn't brought down Gingrich, something else probably would've...many members of the caucus were unhappy with him and as much as I like him, it was probably inevitable that he would bring about his own downfall.

3. Gingrich may have just voluntarily stepped down rather than deal with a second President Bush

Now if it actually had happened, who knows? I think it would've been far more interesting (and probably better for the country) than what we got (i.e. Hastert just doing whatever Bush told him).

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies