Opinion of MADD
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:58:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of MADD
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Opinion of Mothers Against Drunk Driving
FG

HG

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: Opinion of MADD  (Read 2947 times)
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2015, 11:38:00 AM »

Neo-prohibitionist nanny statist group who support criminalizing poor kids who like to drink = HG
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 11:41:15 AM »

They seem to be concerned with a lot more than Drunk Driving.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 11:43:08 AM »

Neo-prohibitionist nanny statist group who support criminalizing poor kids who like to drink = HG

I'm assuming this is a joke...

Anyway, a group that seems to have had its heyday in the 1990s, when drunk driving was a much bigger problem than today, and they did a lot of good at the time. Also an example of how women can use the traditional societal worship of motherhood to advance progressive political causes. FF for both reasons.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 11:47:06 AM »

Considering I don't want to pay massive fines, or even have my license taken away (this actually can happen to underage drinkers in Mass) just because I drink sometimes, ....no?
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 11:48:35 AM »

Fights drunk driving so automatic FG.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 11:49:19 AM »

"Mothers against x" is pretty much guaranteed to be HO.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 11:51:17 AM »

Considering I don't want to pay massive fines, or even have my license taken away (this actually can happen to underage drinkers in Mass) just because I drink sometimes, ....no?

Yes, drinking without driving drunk should be decriminalized under the age of 21. If that is what this group supports now, I would oppose that. But they were still a part of a shift in attitudes towards drunk driving that saved thousands of lives in the 1990s. I haven't heard much about them today. It's possible that they have become an example of an institutionalized group that survives solely on its own momentum and has overreached.

I would take the opposite view for precisely the reasons I stated upthread. That said, it's possible they have morphed into a HG since I heard of them last, if they're persecuting Matt from VT here.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 11:55:00 AM »

The real problem with drunk driving, of course, is not the drunkenness but the driving.  The way that America forces most of its citizens behind the wheel of an automobile to do anything is perverse and inhuman.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 01:28:17 PM »

It's hard to argue they're actually  against just drunk driving instead of being neo-prohibitionists when they spoke out against states running designated driver campaigns  (on the grounds it'd  encourage the nondrivers to drink more.) They've also criticized cities offering free bus service on days likely to have  heavy drinking for the same reason.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 01:41:26 PM »

I enjoy drinking beer, vine and other beverages, but let be honest here, drunkeness are a problem, a minor problem if people do it responsable, but still a problem, as so many people harm themsleves or others while under influence of alcohol.

But drunk driving are a major problem, and anyone working to maek it harder and less social acceptable are a FF in my opinion
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 01:42:58 PM »

HG solely for masterminding the unconstitutional 21 drinking age, which is now spreading to smoking laws.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 01:49:04 PM »

Drunk driving is terrible.  It kills people.  

That said, we'd do better teaching kids to drink responsibly than demonizing and ghettoizing drinking among teenagers.  Being a good parent should be about teaching your kid to live in the real world responsibly rather than trying to scare, punish and manipulate them into a specific behavior.

How so?  That sounds sexist.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 02:17:04 PM »

This country could use a little more mothering. It would go a long way. Incredibly high on the FG totem pole.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2015, 02:21:07 PM »

The acronym is darkly appropriate for what they are.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2015, 03:51:29 PM »

HG.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2015, 04:34:38 PM »

It could be interesting to see the age, for people voting FG or HG, twenty years ago I would likely have been more negative than I'm today of them.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2015, 04:44:32 PM »

Mothers who daydream about imprisoning people for victimless crimes, without realizing they are putting their own progeny in peril. MADD is fun until your son/daughter blows a .09 at a random checkpoint and gets expelled from university after criminal charges.

Widespread adoption of breathalyzers was sufficient. We don't need angry mothers on the loose, even if we feel sorry for the ones who've lost loved ones.

We live in a weird world. If Dad went to the drunk driver's house and shot him to death, Dad would be put in jail for the rest of his life. If mom throws 1,000 innocent people in jail by lobbying for new laws, we're supposed to celebrate her "achievement". See also: marijuana prohibition
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2015, 05:19:28 PM »

Mothers who daydream about imprisoning people for victimless crimes, without realizing they are putting their own progeny in peril. MADD is fun until your son/daughter blows a .09 at a random checkpoint and gets expelled from university after criminal charges.

Widespread adoption of breathalyzers was sufficient. We don't need angry mothers on the loose, even if we feel sorry for the ones who've lost loved ones.

We live in a weird world. If Dad went to the drunk driver's house and shot him to death, Dad would be put in jail for the rest of his life. If mom throws 1,000 innocent people in jail by lobbying for new laws, we're supposed to celebrate her "achievement". See also: marijuana prohibition

Every day, about 30 people in the United States die in motor vehicle crashes that involve an alcohol-impaired driver, how is this victimless?
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 12:11:51 AM »

Every day, about 30 people in the United States die in motor vehicle crashes that involve an alcohol-impaired driver, how is this victimless?

You're the kind of person who throws the poors in jail because they perpetrate a majority of violent crime, aren't you?

Your avatar isn't red enough.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 12:36:05 AM »
« Edited: May 18, 2015, 12:37:49 AM by College Graduate »

HG solely for masterminding the unconstitutional 21 drinking age, which is now spreading to smoking laws.

How is the drinking age unconstitutional? And you do know that the age was porked into a highway funding bill, right?

Also, isn't the leader of MADD a man? He was last I checked.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2015, 09:53:42 AM »

You're the kind of person who throws the poors in jail because they perpetrate a majority of violent crime, aren't you?

Your avatar isn't red enough.
That's pretty ignorant even for you.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2015, 10:54:27 AM »

I don't see why it is so unfathomable to, err, simply avoid drink driving.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2015, 11:04:52 AM »

I don't see why it is so unfathomable to, err, simply avoid drink driving.

Because buying seven drinks and one cab ride instead of ten drinks is lame Roll Eyes
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2015, 11:36:27 AM »

How is the drinking age unconstitutional? And you do know that the age was porked into a highway funding bill, right?

Also, isn't the leader of MADD a man? He was last I checked.

It is inherently unconstitutional to withdraw legal rights to some legal adults that are afforded to other legal adults, unless it is enshrined in the constitution a la age requirements for federal offices.

And yeah, I know that. It was essentially forced on the states via a threat of withdrawing highway funding, which is even more disgusting.

I'm not sure about your last point, but I don't see why it would matter, although it is kind of ironic.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2015, 11:43:16 AM »

That's pretty ignorant even for you.

I'm holding up a mirror so you can see your own reflection. I didn't expect you to like it.

Manufacturing criminals is not a public safety campaign.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies