Opinion of MADD
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:22:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of MADD
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Mothers Against Drunk Driving
FG

HG

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: Opinion of MADD  (Read 2946 times)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2015, 01:58:58 PM »

"Mothers against x" is pretty much guaranteed to be HO.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2015, 02:33:45 PM »

Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2015, 05:43:52 PM »

The reason I started this thread wasn't really about drunk driving. (which yes, is obviously bad) My point was rather that MADD uses literal prohibitionist tactics even now in 2015, to try to achieve their goal of preventing drunk driving. The main issue is that politicians and authoritarian special interest groups such as this view large segments of the population as mere children who lack the decision making skills (despite being legally allowed to die for whatever bullsh*t war is the hot topic of the day) to decide whether or not to drink a beer, or several.
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2015, 06:12:47 PM »

Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2015, 06:48:23 PM »

Neo-prohibitionist nanny statist group who support criminalizing poor kids who like to drink = HG
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2015, 01:33:59 AM »

Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2015, 01:50:54 AM »

Mothers who daydream about imprisoning people for victimless crimes, without realizing they are putting their own progeny in peril. MADD is fun until your son/daughter blows a .09 at a random checkpoint and gets expelled from university after criminal charges.

Widespread adoption of breathalyzers was sufficient. We don't need angry mothers on the loose, even if we feel sorry for the ones who've lost loved ones.

We live in a weird world. If Dad went to the drunk driver's house and shot him to death, Dad would be put in jail for the rest of his life. If mom throws 1,000 innocent people in jail by lobbying for new laws, we're supposed to celebrate her "achievement". See also: marijuana prohibition

This exactly.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2015, 05:39:15 AM »

HP for promulgating the myth the alcohol is something to be scared of. I really think that the 21 drinking age does contribute towards alcoholism in young people. Just make it 16 ffs.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2015, 12:27:16 AM »

HP for promulgating the myth the alcohol is something to be scared of. I really think that the 21 drinking age does contribute towards alcoholism in young people. Just make it 16 ffs.

I think the drinking age and the driving age should maybe not be the exact same thing. 
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2015, 02:59:05 PM »

Horrible organization. I mean, Drunk driving is terrible, but they are promoting the wrong solution.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2015, 03:00:39 PM »

I think the drinking age and the driving age should maybe not be the exact same thing. 
Why not?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2015, 06:31:11 PM »

They started out good, but they became bad within their first few years when they became a prohibitionist group.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2015, 06:37:01 PM »

Also, MADD tried to ban the game Grand Theft Auto IV, of all things.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2015, 09:51:55 PM »

Why not?

You mean why don't I think handing someone the keys to the car on the first day they can legally drink is wise?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2015, 10:10:24 PM »

1. Matt, welcome back to the GOP! Tongue  I'll try to work on those fiscal views of yours a bit, but the more people with diverse opinions who are Republicans in any sense of the word, the bettter!!

2. A truly lame organization.  They had a good purpose (no one should drink and drive, I mean I think we can all agree on that...) originally, but they've morphed into the anti-drinking nazis.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2015, 12:03:07 PM »

Why not?

You mean why don't I think handing someone the keys to the car on the first day they can legally drink is wise?

I'll take that question (as someone who believes both the driving age should be 18 and the drinking age should be 18). I don't know that it is the wisest of solutions, but I do believe in setting all the rights of adulthood at a set age (which has been established to be 18 in our society). Most people tend to drink prior to the legal age already. The current age only sets the stage for people learning to drink in a college setting. And, when it comes to drunk driving, I would make the punishments severe. I wouldn't rule out permanent forfeiture of driving privileges if there were enough infractions.

As for MADD, definite massive HG. Their interest is not in reducing drunk driving. They want prohibition. Their support of raising the drinking age, and imposing it federally, is inexcusable. If they had any truth to their name, they would be supportive of responsible drinking education.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2015, 07:43:15 PM »

Oh don't worry it will be fine.
Samantha
totheleft
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -4.43

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2015, 10:19:25 PM »

Organizations that hide authoritarian intentions behind boogeymen (in this case drunk driving) are universally horrible.

Also, MADD's mastery of the strawman argument is something propagandists of all stripes can admire.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2015, 04:16:15 AM »

The drinking age is the most political issue ever until you actually hit it,
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies