Cisneros: Castro only option for Hillary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:00:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Cisneros: Castro only option for Hillary
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Cisneros: Castro only option for Hillary  (Read 3557 times)
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2015, 08:12:53 PM »

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Cisneros-Hillary-Clinton-s-only-option-for-VP-6268491.php

Castro is unqualified and it will become evident very quickly that he isnt ready for primetime. Mayor of San Antonio and HUD Sec would make him the least qualified candidate in living memory.
Given Hil's advanced age and failing facilities, there is a higher chance of his becoming President before Hildog is finished her term(s).
Yeah, if you're 8 or younger, but I doubt that's the demographic Hillary would be going for.

He is less qualified than Palin.

Really?   At least he can form complete sentences while giving a speech...that's gotta count for something!
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2015, 09:20:48 PM »

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Cisneros-Hillary-Clinton-s-only-option-for-VP-6268491.php

Castro is unqualified and it will become evident very quickly that he isnt ready for primetime. Mayor of San Antonio and HUD Sec would make him the least qualified candidate in living memory.
Given Hil's advanced age and failing facilities, there is a higher chance of his becoming President before Hildog is finished her term(s).
Yeah, if you're 8 or younger, but I doubt that's the demographic Hillary would be going for.

How so?

What makes Palin's experience more significance than Castro's?

And the claim can't be that Governor of Alaksa was more impressive than a cabinet secretary or Mayor of San Antonio, but that Palin's two years as Governor of Alaska are more impressive than Castro's five years as mayor combined with the two years as cabinet secretary.

I hope the argument isn't just that holding statewide office trumps everything else.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2015, 09:27:17 PM »

How so?

What makes Palin's experience more significance than Castro's?

And the claim can't be that Governor of Alaksa was more impressive than a cabinet secretary or Mayor of San Antonio, but that Palin's two years as Governor of Alaska are more impressive than Castro's five years as mayor combined with the two years as cabinet secretary.

I hope the argument isn't just that holding statewide office trumps everything else.

Population of San Antonio: 1,409,000

Population of Alaska: 736,732

lol
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2015, 12:30:03 AM »
« Edited: May 18, 2015, 01:00:52 AM by Likely Voter »

I'm sorry but clearly you are forgetting that when Putin reared his head the first thing he saw was Sarah Palin, not some mayor from Texas.

That being said I suspect the Dems wished they had a Hispanic senator or governor, so they have to look to the cabinet or the House. Given the choice, the cabinet is probably more impressive. It would be hard to say that he is any less experienced as Paul Ryan, and he will be the same as as Ryan was when he was nominated.

The question is: what is a bigger boost: Castro's boost to Hispanic vote or Kaine's boost to VA?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2015, 12:55:03 AM »

It's not just qualifications but inquisitiveness. Palin could've been Governor of Alaska for three terms and still failed. The woman didn't want to learn anything
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2015, 01:32:45 AM »

The question is: what is a bigger boost: Castro's boost to Hispanic vote or Kaine's boost to VA?

While I wouldn't say Kaine guarantees Virginia, but he probably assures a small, but significant bump. I also think Kaine plays decently in the Midwest, which is where Republicans would likely look to make up Electoral Votes. He's also smart, competent, and a nice guy.

Seeing as the Hispanic vote is fairly concentrated in both Texas and California, I'm not sure Castro would really boost the ticket in terms of Electoral Votes.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2015, 09:22:19 AM »

Here's a better written argument for Castro not being qualified.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/05/18/hillary-s-unqualified-top-vp-choice.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
bobloblaw
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2015, 09:37:40 AM »

Really?   At least he can form complete sentences while giving a speech...that's gotta count for something!

I bet he cant. He'll fall flat on his face on the campaign trail
bobloblaw
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2015, 09:39:21 AM »

While I wouldn't say Kaine guarantees Virginia, but he probably assures a small, but significant bump. I also think Kaine plays decently in the Midwest, which is where Republicans would likely look to make up Electoral Votes. He's also smart, competent, and a nice guy.

Seeing as the Hispanic vote is fairly concentrated in both Texas and California, I'm not sure Castro would really boost the ticket in terms of Electoral Votes.

Taaa Daaaaa.....you just won prize of the day.

Contrary to popular belief the Hispanic vote doesnt matter. It is concentrated in states like TX, CA, IL, NJ. This is why Romney needed to win 72% of the hispanic vote in order to win in 2012.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2015, 09:53:10 AM »

I bet he cant. He'll fall flat on his face on the campaign trail

He gave quite a good speech at the DNC.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2015, 11:27:00 AM »

Clearly; a nowhite male would be ideal choice, a Latinos are clearly the bread and butter of Democratic party
 They are unioners, the factory workers, and the teachers unions.

Dems must hold that constituency and win.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2015, 01:12:34 PM »

If it's looking like a pretty competitive race, the safer choice would be to pick Kaine in order to help lock down Virginia. If a joke Republican candidate wins (decent chance), and if it's looking like a relatively easy race for her, she should go with Castro to jumpstart the "new wave of young Democratic leaders of tomorrow."
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2015, 01:23:37 PM »

If it's looking like a pretty competitive race, the safer choice would be to pick Kaine in order to help lock down Virginia. If a joke Republican candidate wins (decent chance), and if it's looking like a relatively easy race for her, she should go with Castro to jumpstart the "new wave of young Democratic leaders of tomorrow."
What I don't understand is why Kaine and not Warner. Wasn't Kaine the guy in charge of the D-triple C during the 2010 rout? Why is he an attractive VP pick other than his home state? I would much rather have Warner if we were picking Senators from Virginia.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2015, 02:41:24 PM »

Nope, Palin dealt with energy policy.
wat.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2015, 02:45:10 PM »

What I don't understand is why Kaine and not Warner. Wasn't Kaine the guy in charge of the D-triple C during the 2010 rout? Why is he an attractive VP pick other than his home state? I would much rather have Warner if we were picking Senators from Virginia.

Because Warner almost got beaten by a DC lobbyist in a race that was supposed to be safe.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2015, 02:48:32 PM »

She was an oil and gas commissioner before she ran for governor, IIRC.
Not that it makes blob's contention that she was more qualified any less ridiculous.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2015, 02:51:11 PM »

She was an oil and gas commissioner before she ran for governor, IIRC.
Not that it makes blob's contention that she was more qualified any less ridiculous.
I pumped my car in England once, I am a foreign policy, and energy policy guru. #NeverAgain4GuvAK
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2015, 06:38:42 PM »

Taaa Daaaaa.....you just won prize of the day.

Contrary to popular belief the Hispanic vote doesnt matter. It is concentrated in states like TX, CA, IL, NJ. This is why Romney needed to win 72% of the hispanic vote in order to win in 2012.

Hispanic elligable voters are a very significant percent in 3 of 10 battleground states: FL (17.1%),
NV (15.9%), and CO (14.2%). In NM they are 40.1% of eligible voters, which is why that state has gone from a swing state Bush won once to a state the GOP doesn't even try to win anymore.

As for Romney, it is quite simple. If he was able to get the same percentages with non-whites as Bush got in 2004 he would have won the election. Romney actually outperformed Bush with whites.  Basically, the GOP cannot win in 2016 by relying on improvements with the white vote (even if that is possible against Hillary). They need non-white votes and Hispanics may be the largest portion of the non-whites and have shown the largest swings (and BTW, Asians have tended to vote similarly to Hispanics in recent presidential elections.

Of course most of the GOP elite know they need to look to non-whites for 2016 victory, but there are some like bob here who think that all white all the time is the true path and future of the GOP. Good luck with that.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2015, 07:57:18 PM »

Hispanics are also around 30% of the population of Arizona.   If Democrats are ever gonna have any chance at all in Arizona, it's gonna be through Hispanic voters.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2015, 09:39:07 PM »

Honestly think Tom Perez would be a better pick than Castro.
history nerd
Rauren Lyan
Rookie

« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2015, 01:34:44 PM »

Being a mayor of a top ten city is more impressive than being the governor of some podunk flyover state.
This is simply untrue. There is a lot to be said for being higher up the chain of federalism. Governors deal with a greater variety problems than do mayors and they deal with them more directly. Mayors deal primarily with logistical and administrative issues and not with the more politicized issues on which the majority of people base their vote. After all "There is no Republican or Democratic way to clean the streets" - Fiorello LaGuardia

Not to mention that dealing with conservation and agricultural issues is a mandatory presidential qualification that mayors tend to lack.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2015, 07:14:15 PM »

Yes; Hilary-Castro ticket is only option. As GOP will attempt to persuade Latinos with Rubio and Gov Jeb. He will be first generation close to millineals and he is likeable.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2015, 08:10:41 PM »

No it isnt. She should go safe with Heinrich or Vilsack and fight for the Midwest.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies