How would you have voted for TARP (by party)?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:42:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  How would you have voted for TARP (by party)?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: ?
Aye (R)

Nay (R)

Aye (D)

Nay (D)

Aye (I/O)

Nay (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: How would you have voted for TARP (by party)?  (Read 1656 times)
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2015, 01:56:38 PM »

Should have definitely broken the banks up, but I would have voted Aye.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2015, 01:57:36 PM »

No (R). If we all are going to eat s[INKS]t in another great depression, the banksters should be eating it with us.

So your logic is "we should have let the banking system collapse and caused a second Depression so that the bankers would suffer"?
If we're going to suffer either way (which the middle class certainly did), then yes, we might as well all go down together.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2015, 02:01:05 PM »

No (R). If we all are going to eat s[INKS]t in another great depression, the banksters should be eating it with us.

So your logic is "we should have let the banking system collapse and caused a second Depression so that the bankers would suffer"?
If we're going to suffer either way (which the middle class certainly did), then yes, we might as well all go down together.

Do you understand how bonkers this is?

Let me use an analogy. Someone burns your house down, so you suffer. A better alternative by your logic is that you instead set off an atomic bomb and end all life on earth because it's only fair that he suffer too.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2015, 02:06:49 PM »

Let me use an analogy. Someone burns your house down, so you suffer. A better alternative by your logic is that you instead set off an atomic bomb and end all life on earth because it's only fair that he suffer too.
The analogy is false. Setting off an atomic bomb would destroy the property of others, after all. Now, if the arsonist burnt down every other home in the area, then sure, blow the whole thing apart and rebuild from the ground up.

It's not like TARP helped the working class out, on the whole. Millions lost their jobs and their homes. It wasn't a depression, but it wasn't your average recession either, and the affects of it will linger for a generation.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2015, 02:09:49 PM »

Aye (don't let "principles" destroy the global economy)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2015, 02:12:55 PM »

Aye (don't let "principles" destroy the global economy)
If you don't have principles, what is the point of anything? The global economy relies on a set of basic principles that were routinely violated leading up to the recession. The banks gave loans to everybody and their brother, and then folded on everyone else. I'm not advocating for their lynching like some in this thread, but something had to be done.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2015, 02:13:07 PM »

The analogy is false. Setting off an atomic bomb would destroy the property of others, after all. Now, if the arsonist burnt down every other home in the area, then sure, blow the whole thing apart and rebuild from the ground up.

YES AND LETTING THE BANKING SYSTEM COLLAPSE WOULD AFFECT EVERYONE FAR, FAR WORSE THAN THE ACTUAL RECESSION DID. Why is this is a difficult point to understand? Is your solution seriously to plunge the global economy into ruin so that we can "rebuild from the ground up"? Is this some kind of primitivist thing?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'd argue that not having a second Great Depression helped the working class out quite a lot, actually.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2015, 05:44:04 PM »

Unfortunately I have to agree with Oakvale here; of course, TARP tends to be overrated as the singular bill that represented the governments assistance to the financial system, when in fact the dozens of never-voted-on actions by the Federal Reserve had a much greater impact.

It's true that Obama could have tacked further towards reform in the spring of 2009 than he did; nationalizing, replacing the management and then breaking up the banks would have entirely been consistent with the direction of TARP, and could have been done with much the same financial stabilization that actually occurred. Of course, men like Geithner and Summers (especially Geithner) would not have been the ones inclined to carry it out. Obamas economic progressivism has always been exaggerated.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2015, 06:02:23 PM »

This thread shows us why Rand Paul supporters are the WORST.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2015, 06:06:48 PM »

TARP might be the single bill that caused the Republican Party to go off the deep-end regarding economic thought. (Sure Obama's election aided in it, but this is where it started with McCain getting angry about it to pander/test the electorate before ultimately voting for it anyway.)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2015, 06:26:17 PM »

TARP is an issue I'm more familiar with than most issues, and it was definitely the right thing to do, despite being rather...unseemly. I supported it at the time and in retrospect I think that's been borne out as the right call.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2015, 06:30:42 PM »

Aye (dislikes financial collapse, depressions)
We still should have regulated them more, obviously.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2015, 12:10:21 AM »

Honestly, I'm not sure how I would have voted at the time, but (like the auto bailouts), hindsight says that it was a good move at least in terms of preventing a second Great Depression.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2015, 12:14:57 AM »

Against the bank bailouts, but for the auto bailouts. And I don't even really like cars.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2015, 12:22:32 AM »

Against the bank bailouts, but for the auto bailouts. And I don't even really like cars.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2015, 12:37:32 AM »

Aye, reluctantly. I would have pushed for a bill that would have broken up the banks and forced firing all of the chief executives, no exceptions. But TARP as passed was better than nothing.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2015, 08:58:54 AM »

It's not like TARP helped the working class out, on the whole. Millions lost their jobs and their homes. It wasn't a depression, but it wasn't your average recession either, and the affects of it will linger for a generation.

You don't understand what you're talking about bud.

When we had to pass TARP, the credit markets were frozen.  That is unbelievably serious.  GE couldn't finance their day-to-day operations with commercial paper.  Think about that.  If the biggest corporations couldn't function, how does the economy keep going?

Without TARP, all the investment banks go under.  Goldman Sachs, Citigroup, Morgan Stanley, Barclays, all of them.  All of the major commercial banks follow.  The big insurance companies go, obviously AIG.  At that point, we're in uncharted territory.  That wouldn't be the Great Depression, it would be far worse.

So, it's a choice between 10% unemployment and 30% or 40% or 50% unemployment.  I guarantee you the average American would feel that difference.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2015, 12:07:29 PM »

Aye, at the time (D). There should have been considerably more strings attached to the deal, not the least of which should have been criminal and civil charges against those that caused the financial crisis.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2015, 12:17:31 PM »

Hang the bankers and paedos
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2015, 12:29:57 PM »

I see anybody who opposes it gets verbally sh**tted on here...
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2015, 01:58:26 PM »

Why? That seems like an odd position to hold. Why the auto bailout more necessary even if it was executed better?
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2015, 02:48:49 PM »

Aye.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2015, 04:22:18 PM »

No.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2015, 04:35:53 PM »

Why? That seems like an odd position to hold. Why the auto bailout more necessary even if it was executed better?

They actually make things. The banks just lend people money at higher interest rates than the government lent the banks money.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2015, 05:29:34 PM »

Of course I'm against it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies