after the Clipper collapse: time for a ten worst sports defeats thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:42:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  after the Clipper collapse: time for a ten worst sports defeats thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: after the Clipper collapse: time for a ten worst sports defeats thread  (Read 1136 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« on: May 18, 2015, 12:40:44 AM »

The "2002" Wild Card Round, where the Giants blew a 24-point lead against the 49ers and then got screwed by the refs in the final moments, was the worst loss I've ever witnessed.  I still get the dry heaves thinking about it.

That was horrible.  If I remember correctly, they should have called pass interference on the final play, giving the Giants another chance to kick the game winning field goal. 
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 04:54:28 PM »

4. January 22, 2012, NFC Championship Game: Giants 20, 49ers 17 (OT). I knew Jim Harbaugh was a very good coach, having watched what he did at Stanford, but I expected it would take a few years. Instead the 49ers in 2011 went 13-3. In the divisional round at Candlestick they beat New Orleans 36-32 behind Alex Smith in what remains my favorite 49ers game of all time. The next day the unstoppable Packers lost to the Giants, and all of a sudden instead of having to go to Lambeau the 49ers were going to play the NFC championship right here at Candlestick. Moreover, they were going to play against a bad team that they had already beaten once that year. Then things failed to work out and somehow the game went to overtime and then Kyle Williams muffed a punt and we were treated to the excruciating spectacle of waiting for the inevitable game-ending field goal. This loss wouldn't have been quite as upsetting if it hadn't come to a team with a negative point differential for the season. The 49ers had every reason to win that game and it didn't happen.

That's underrating how good the Giants were that season and how mediocre the 49ers were on offense.  Alex Smith couldn't throw the ball outside the numbers so Vernon Davis had to be their entire passing game. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies