Any conceivable circumstance in which 2016 is a landslide for Hillary?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:08:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Any conceivable circumstance in which 2016 is a landslide for Hillary?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Any conceivable circumstance in which 2016 is a landslide for Hillary?  (Read 3996 times)
Dazey
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 18, 2015, 03:21:54 AM »

I'm not talking about a 1972 or 1984 style landslide of course, but something on the order of a 1956, 1964 or 1980 sized victory?
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 04:29:07 AM »
« Edited: May 18, 2015, 10:57:26 AM by Free Bird »

Despite OC and IceSpear's best wishes, no.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 05:59:49 AM »

Are you suggesting that OC is Icespear's sock?
JonathanSwift
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 10:32:00 AM »

Republicans nominate an "extremist" ticket and Obama is assassinated by a Tea Partier while speaking at the Democratic National Convention.

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton (D-NY) / Senator Tim Kaine (D-VA): 61%; 468 Electoral Votes
Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) / Governor Mike Pence (R-IN): 37%; 70 Electoral Votes
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 10:52:26 AM »

303 electors isnt a landslide.

But, Jeb just made a Palin and Herman Cain like gaffee, he is beatable.
DS0816
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 11:40:52 AM »

Republicans nominate an "extremist" ticket and Obama is assassinated by a Tea Partier while speaking at the Democratic National Convention.

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton (D-NY) / Senator Tim Kaine (D-VA): 61%; 468 Electoral Votes

With that map, you can just give the Cruz/Pence ticket the trio of states which best-perform for the Republicans: Idaho, Utah, and Wyoming. Let them keep Oklahoma. They may be able to hold Nebraska's 3rd Congressional District. All the rest, still indicated as Republican holds, would flip.
Cryptic
Shadowlord88

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 11:45:02 AM »

Only if the Republicans nominate an extremist AND on top of that he does something completely stupid to derail his campaign. The country is too polarized for it to occur under any other circumstances right now.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 11:57:42 AM »

A 1980 sized victory is 10%. That's very possible.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 12:02:45 PM »

Outside of a republican ticket worse than Christine O'Donnell, Richard Mourdock, and Todd Akin COMBINED, Hillary's absolute ceiling is 399 EVs. (2012 + NC, AZ, GA, MO, IN, MT, NE-2)
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 12:46:22 PM »

Yes, but it's now quite unlikely.  Average 5% economic growth from fall 2015-fall 2016 would mean an Ike level PV win for Hillary (or any competent Dem really).
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 12:50:24 PM »

A landslide in the PV.

Honestly, I think it's possible for her to win the PV by a margin of 55-44 but not pick up any state other than NC.

Someone like Ted Cruz would be super hated in any Obama/swing state, but probably would do just as well as Romney in Romney states.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 01:04:27 PM »

I could see a huge popular vote win where Hillary stomps on the Republican in suburbs and among educated people, but still loses rural voters and the South/West by that not much less than Obama.  Something like this maybe.

Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 01:06:41 PM »

Depends on your definition of landslide. The Clinton ceiling is sub-400 EVs.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 01:36:12 PM »

Missouri, Indiana and Georgia are all possible in a landslide scenario.
JonathanSwift
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 02:26:15 PM »

With that map, you can just give the Cruz/Pence ticket the trio of states which best-perform for the Republicans: Idaho, Utah, and Wyoming. Let them keep Oklahoma. They may be able to hold Nebraska's 3rd Congressional District. All the rest, still indicated as Republican holds, would flip.

Well, I guess under these circumstances Clinton could flip Kansas, Kentucky, Nebraska, Tennessee and West Virginia (and conceivably even Louisiana), but I'd definitely keep Alabama in the Republican column. It's a very inelastic state.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 02:58:14 PM »

It's only one state (AZ) with several match-ups and one (KY) with one match-up... but those two suggest that the USA isn't so polarized if the Democratic choice isn't Barack Obama.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 03:01:20 PM »

All of you are missing the obvious answer: Of course she'll win the primaries in a landslide. I'll give Vermont to Bernie and maybe give him another state or two, but I think that Hillary Clinton can easily win 45 states for sure.
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 03:49:12 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2015, 03:56:14 PM by bballrox4717 »

I think we need to set a line between a decisive victory and a landslide victory. Too many posters are posting maps here that aren't landslides by any means. A landslide isn't impossible now. There just hasn't been the conditions necessary for a landslide (not that I think there will be one in 2016) lately. 2008 could have very well been a landslide, for instance, if McCain hadn't been the nominee.

I'd consider any margin of victory above 5 percentage points and over 100 electoral votes to be decisive, whereas a landslide would see a margin of victory of over 15 percent and the losing party falling underneath 100 electoral votes. 15 percent is really the line where you see deep red and blue states flip despite their PVI, though 1980 was weird because Anderson was targeting the middle to hurt Reagan but winded up hurting Carter more. By this criteria, the elections that were considered landslides, like 1964 and 1972, are accurately separated from elections that were relatively close but saw a candidate pull away decisively near the end, like 1988 and 2008.

For Hillary to accurately cross the line between decisive victory and landslide, she needs to flip Texas. It's the only way to drop the Republican candidate below 100 electoral votes, and it's only possible if Hillary's winning by 15 percent or more.

Personally, the only way I think Hillary wins a true landslide is if Rand Paul is the nominee. An evangelical, populist candidate like Cruz or Carson won't harm the base enough, even if moderates and independents flee the GOP. They would literally need to completely fall apart like Palin did in 2008 (and even then she didn't harm McCain enough to cause a landslide). It would simply look decisive, like Obama's 2008 victory, but with a slightly bigger margin. Rand Paul, however, might be toxic enough on foreign policy for the Republicans to cause the split necessary for a landslide to occur.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 04:01:05 PM »

^Rand Paul has been backpedaling a lot on foreign policy.  I don't see that happening.

Here is the most catastrophic somewhat plausible scenario for the GOP:

1. Walker implodes, Jeb is perceived as too moderate, and Rubio just can't garner enough support.  Kasich opts not to enter the race.
2. Cruz rakes in fundraising dollars and wins pluralities in many primaries.
3. The convention is contested due to the closeness of ballots.
4. US economic growth picks up a lot, and gas prices drop significantly to January levels.
5. Multiple high-profile Republicans like McCain endorse Hilldawg, or at least fail to endorse Cruz, to try to save their Senate campaigns.

In this scenario, we'd be looking at Obama '08 + GA/MO/FL/SD/ND/MT/AZ
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 04:40:20 PM »

This, or something like it. It doesn't have to be an assassination of Obama, though. Let any of the real crazies somehow get the nomination and then add on something unforgivable to a large segment of the electorate - a call to "kill the gays" or "put women back in the kitchen" that is then not walked back. Open and public calls for a religious-conservative theocracy here in the US might do it, too.

I'd say the odds of something like that happening are about equal to the chances of something that utterly sinks Hillary's chances - a massive economic crash, devastating terror attacks in the US, or the US drawn into a major war that's going poorly.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2015, 09:15:46 PM »

This is my 428-110 map for Clinton vs. Cruz with Cruz choosing an extremist idiot as his running mate:

bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2015, 09:27:42 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2015, 09:29:21 PM by bballrox4717 »

I think you are all underestimating Cruz a bit. He would definitely lose to Hillary, but it probably looks like Obama 2012 + NC. She isn't going to into the Republican base enough to start taking deep red states like the Dakotas and West Virginia, and the Republicans aren't going to abandon Cruz if he wins the nomination. They're too scared of primaries for that.

I'm not necessarily saying the Republicans would abandon Paul either, but he's the only one with enough policy difference with the mainstream that Hillary could run to his right on foreign policy and really cut into the neoconservatives to win a landslide. Otherwise both parties are just too unified in policy to really cause a landslide.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2015, 09:37:38 PM »

I think Cruz would lose NC, IN, AZ, MO to Hillary. GA is too polarized and Hillary would probably lose it with around 48%.
Samantha
totheleft
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -4.43

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2015, 12:05:54 AM »

'legitimate rape' or something equally tone deaf.
bobloblaw
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2015, 09:48:34 AM »

How does MS go Dem? MS is the most inelastic state in the union.

But no, Hillary doesnt get a landslide.

I stand by my prediction that 2016 will be closer than 2012
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies