Which of these kinds of Republican do you prefer?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:48:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which of these kinds of Republican do you prefer?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
Black Republicans

Gay Republicans

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Which of these kinds of Republican do you prefer?  (Read 774 times)
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 18, 2015, 05:53:33 AM »

Black Republicans are generally much more interesting and likeable, regardless of whether they are the Keyes/Cain/Carson type or a Edward Brooke/Colin Powell type.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 07:15:31 AM »
« Edited: May 18, 2015, 07:24:08 AM by ingemann »

Black Republicans, while the Republican Party may not have been the world's most pro-Black party the last 40 years, at worst they push policies which are against Black collective interests not necessary their individual interests. For gay people on the other hand, they hurt both gay people's collective and personal interests. So I get Black Republicans, Gay Republicans on the other hand are people who put their economical interest ahead of their civil rights, not really a lot to respect there.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 07:15:37 AM »

someone piss you off?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 07:25:22 AM »

Torie vs Simfan
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 07:37:13 AM »

It's not any individuals, I'm talking about these people as a collective group, every individual have their own story for why they vote as they do, and there exist Jews who have their (good) reasons to vote for Front National, but if you ask me what I think about Jews who vote Front National, I won't say that I have a positive view of them, and while the Republican Party aren't the anti-gay Nazi, neither are they a party who to any degree treat gay people like they're human beings.

But that doesn't mean that there doesn't exist gay Republicans, who aren't self hating or delusional, some have likely some very good reasons to vote as they do (they think democrats are too soft on crime as example) or they're simply stuck in a party, which was much less bad on gay issues years ago, and too much of their identity build on being Republicans (just as other people who are stuck in a party which no longer fit them). But as a group I can't really say anything positive about them.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 07:40:18 AM »

It's a little unfair really, even ignoring their party membership, they're not really that typical for their "groups".
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 08:01:25 AM »

It's not any individuals, I'm talking about these people as a collective group, every individual have their own story for why they vote as they do, and there exist Jews who have their (good) reasons to vote for Front National, but if you ask me what I think about Jews who vote Front National, I won't say that I have a positive view of them, and while the Republican Party aren't the anti-gay Nazi, neither are they a party who to any degree treat gay people like they're human beings.

But that doesn't mean that there doesn't exist gay Republicans, who aren't self hating or delusional, some have likely some very good reasons to vote as they do (they think democrats are too soft on crime as example) or they're simply stuck in a party, which was much less bad on gay issues years ago, and too much of their identity build on being Republicans (just as other people who are stuck in a party which no longer fit them). But as a group I can't really say anything positive about them.

I don't know why you would say anything about them as a group.  I don't know why just because you are a member of a group, that gives you an obligation to vote based on a set of positions which are, or are supposed to be, relevant to this group and disregard everything else, which obligation to vote a certain way, a person outside that group does not have - and if you don't you are some awful person.   If you consider something a matter of civil rights and equality, shouldn't you be holding everyone to this standard equally when it comes to supporting it?

(btw, my first post was responding to the maker of this strange thread - I hit reply before your post even showed up.)
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 08:14:48 AM »

This won't end well.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 08:23:04 AM »

I don't know why you would say anything about them as a group. 

Well because we were asked about what we think about them as a group. It lies somewhat in the question.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 09:23:27 AM »

Is the Pope Catholic?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 10:06:51 AM »

Black Republicans are generally much more interesting and likeable, regardless of whether they are the Keyes/Cain/Carson type or a Edward Brooke/Colin Powell type.

Putting aside the usefulness of evaluating or judging party adherents based on their race or sexual preference, what causes you to think that gay Pubs are less interesting and likable than black ones? Or, not that it matters much, if that comment is based just on gay and black Pub politicians (since you refer to black politicians when characterizing a "type"), just which gay Pub politicians do you have in mind? How many gay Pubs (politicians or not) do you actually know, and have interacted with?
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 10:20:07 AM »

Putting aside the usefulness of evaluating or judging party adherents based on their race or sexual preference, what causes you to think that gay Pubs are less interesting and likable than black ones? Or, not that it matters much, if that comment is based just on gay and black Pub politicians (since you refer to black politicians when characterizing a "type"), just which gay Pub politicians do you have in mind? How many gay Pubs (politicians or not) do you actually know, and have interacted with?

Really, this thread was mostly intended as a (poor) satire of many other threads on this particular board. Though I must say that I am not a great fan of GOProud (is that what it is called?) as their sexual preferences + their party affiliation seem to be used as something of a shield against criticism (hey, don't criticise us, we are a minority within a minority!) from their political opponents, not to mention that they have the backing of the likes of Ann Coulter. Black Republicans don't seem to have groups such as those to my knowledge, or if they do then they are much lower in profile.

Lock by all means etc.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 10:14:13 PM »

wtf is this thread. (Both are FF groups, btw)
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 10:36:13 PM »

It is all about priorities and what you think your vote will accomplish.
Realistically the actual policies that will be implemented going forward that will impact these groups are mainly economic ones. The democrats may give more lip service to these groups and that wins votes and all, but what non-economic policy are they going to pursue that is beneficial to these groups?

I mean even gay marriage will be decided soon enough in the courts, so it is also pretty much an irrelevant issue anymore.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 07:46:31 PM »

Try to guess. Smiley
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 10:19:34 PM »

More gay Republicans = pushing the GOP to a more pro-marriage equality stance.

More Black Republicans = pushing the GOP back toward a more pro-civil rights protection conversation, loyal to the party's spirit.

---> They're both mega-FFs.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 10:20:07 PM »

wtf is this thread. (Both are FF groups, btw)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies