Apparently Kentucky is a tossup
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:25:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Apparently Kentucky is a tossup
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Apparently Kentucky is a tossup  (Read 2410 times)
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 18, 2015, 01:22:42 PM »

According to this map: https://uselectionatlas.org/POLLS/PRESIDENT/2016/polls.php
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 01:25:05 PM »

Not on election day.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 01:28:14 PM »

Of course it is. It's Hillary after all. SUSA is a really credible source. Now that KY is a Toss-up, TN is up for grabs too. The last time KY and TN voted for different candidates was in 1952. Expect Hillary to campaign extensively in both states. And I've always thought that I live in anti-Hillary territory Sad The dominance of the Hillslide will be unbearable. Cry

YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 01:33:19 PM »

Of course it is. It's Hillary after all. SUSA is a really credible source. Now that KY is a Toss-up, TN is up for grabs too. The last time KY and TN voted for different candidates was in 1952. Expect Hillary to campaign extensively in both states. And I've always thought that I live in anti-Hillary territory Sad The dominance of the Hillslide will be unbearable. Cry

Nah, you're good.

See, the polls tell me that Tennessee is, like, 12 points more Republican. Once you cross the border, it's like a whole different world!

Do you live in a Kentucky town that's virtually indistinguishable from a Tennessee town across the border in terms of size and mindset? Well, that's alright! Kentuckians love Hillary, while the Tennesseans hate her.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 01:34:53 PM »

Republicans are running scared, from coast to coast. Not a single state is safe.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 01:35:50 PM »

The Republicans might pull off a surprise win in that "lean dem" California though
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 01:37:38 PM »

Republicans are running scared, from coast to coast. Not a single state is safe.

Have you decided which Pub candidate you are going to support to save them [seal their fate] yet Lief?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 01:44:02 PM »

But Tennessee is more urban. Has anyone done any polls for Tennessee lately?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 01:44:58 PM »

It won't be once we get more polls.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 01:45:44 PM »

Have you decided which Pub candidate you are going to support to save them [seal their fate] yet Lief?

No, no, at the moment I'm stuck between Senator Graham and Dr. Carson. I think I'll wait to see how the debates play out before I make my choice.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 01:49:36 PM »

No, no, at the moment I'm stuck between Senator Graham and Dr. Carson. I think I'll wait to see how the debates play out before I make my choice.

Carson has been so much more interesting to date. I mean, his wanting to reverse Marbury v Madison was most arresting. The frightening thing is probably about half the Pubs in their ignorance agree with him. Gosh, I wish I were in the Pub debates. I would really liven them up!  Tongue
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 02:43:11 PM »

The 2012 map had SC as a toss-up all the way to election day. It's just a function of its design.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 04:58:32 PM »

Well if they nominate Jeb, then they can swap KY's electoral votes for California. Not a bad trade off imo.

YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 05:17:14 PM »

Nah, you're good.

See, the polls tell me that Tennessee is, like, 12 points more Republican. Once you cross the border, it's like a whole different world!

Do you live in a Kentucky town that's virtually indistinguishable from a Tennessee town across the border in terms of size and mindset? Well, that's alright! Kentuckians love Hillary, while the Tennesseans hate her.

Ha, you know what? Tennesseans just hate Obama because he is black. Blue dog Hilldawg (nice rhyme!) on the other hand appeals to the hearts, minds and souls of ALL Southerners and Appalachians. That's why she'll win here, she will win bigger than FDR, she will realign the South, she will dominate over us all, Bill will play the saxophone in Memphis, and then... the South will rise again! Hillary's reign will finally make those overweight, prejudiced, exploited and undereducated numbskulls better human beings and the South will be the land of milk and honey!

There's hope for the Republicans yet! The polls also tell me that California is very close, so they may pick it up in a pretty close election. Hillary will make all those Appalachian and Southern women vote for her in droves, while Jeb will make every Hispanic flock to him because of his Hispanic wife. Or Rubio, whos Hispanic last name will guarantee him the Hispanic vote.

2016 will be the most unexpected realignment yet!
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 05:22:43 PM »

Carson has been so much more interesting to date. I mean, his wanting to reverse Marbury v Madison was most arresting. The frightening thing is probably about half the Pubs in their ignorance agree with him. Gosh, I wish I were in the Pub debates. I would really liven them up!  Tongue

#Ready4Torie
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 05:40:04 PM »

Nah, you're good.

Ha, you know what? Tennesseans just hate Obama because he is black. Blue dog Hilldawg (nice rhyme!) on the other hand appeals to the hearts, minds and souls of ALL Southerners and Appalachians. That's why she'll win here, she will win bigger than FDR, she will realign the South, she will dominate over us all, Bill will play the saxophone in Memphis, and then... the South will rise again! Hillary's reign will finally make those overweight, prejudiced, exploited and undereducated numbskulls better human beings and the South will be the land of milk and honey!

There's hope for the Republicans yet! The polls also tell me that California is very close, so they may pick it up in a pretty close election. Hillary will make all those Appalachian and Southern women vote for her in droves, while Jeb will make every Hispanic flock to him because of his Hispanic wife. Or Rubio, whos Hispanic last name will guarantee him the Hispanic vote.

2016 will be the most unexpected realignment yet!

Jeb will win and then sign into law comprehensive immigration reform, thus driving all the xenophobic types into the GOP. Steve King will run for president in 2020 as a Democrat.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 09:20:13 PM »

"Some guy from California is running for President. Who cares?"
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 11:33:56 AM »

I wouldnt invest money in either IND or KY; but AZ or NC I would

AZ is becoming more and more NC like and in a few years, will replace NC as the other battleground state.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2015, 11:46:28 AM »

AZ is becoming more and more NC like and in a few years, will replace NC as the other battleground state.

Yes, every state shall eventually become VA.  It is destiny.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2015, 06:26:02 PM »

Yes, every state shall eventually become VA.  It is destiny.

I picked AZ; instead, due to the fact that it is like NV and CO; it is to offset a loss in OH and Va; along with Pa, locks in 273 electors.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2015, 07:35:37 PM »

Kentucky has a Democratic Governor.  It may not in 2016, but it does now, and that's a big deal.  In Kentucky, the Governor stands at the top of the political power structure, which worked well for Bill Clinton even in 1996, when his anti-tobacco stance cost him some popularity in Kentucky.

Has Hillary flatly opposed the Keystone Pipeline?  I don't think so, and there is a reasonable chance that she will support it.  This would be a signal to Appalachia that the Democrats' environmental policies of the 2000s so far has been a Gore-Obama think, and not a party-wide thing.  How she positions herself on this issue would be a signal as to how she'll come down on the issue of coal.  Hillary knows how to take both sides of an issue to her advantage.  Kentucky going for Hillary isn't the most ridiculous thing imaginable.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2015, 07:39:55 PM »

Kentucky has a Democratic Governor.  It may not in 2016

After today's results, it will.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2015, 07:40:00 PM »

Kentucky has a Democratic Governor.  It may not in 2016, but it does now, and that's a big deal.  In Kentucky, the Governor stands at the top of the political power structure, which worked well for Bill Clinton even in 1996, when his anti-tobacco stance cost him some popularity in Kentucky.

Has Hillary flatly opposed the Keystone Pipeline?  I don't think so, and there is a reasonable chance that she will support it.  This would be a signal to Appalachia that the Democrats' environmental policies of the 2000s so far has been a Gore-Obama think, and not a party-wide thing.  How she positions herself on this issue would be a signal as to how she'll come down on the issue of coal.  Hillary knows how to take both sides of an issue to her advantage.  Kentucky going for Hillary isn't the most ridiculous thing imaginable.
Clinton is not going to roll back the progress Obama has made on fossil fuels, and the people in coal country aren't stupid enough to believe her if she said she would.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2015, 09:22:50 PM »

Clinton is not going to roll back the progress Obama has made on fossil fuels, and the people in coal country aren't stupid enough to believe her if she said she would.

I don't put anything past Hillary Clinton.

The Democratic Party is in structurally better shape in Kentucky than in any number of Southern and Border states.  It's in far better shape in Kentucky right now than in West Virginia.  I would not rule out a bit of a Democratic rebound in Kentucky after Obama is out of the picture. 

The move away from the Democrats in Appalachia is, IMO, very much driven by the persona of Obama.  He's black and they're not; what's more, the white folks of Appalachia aren't the Ellis Island folks of the Northeast and some of the Midwest; they're a folks with little ethnic identification and a more nativist outlook.  THESE white folks are why the Democrats' share of the white vote is so little; if you factored out the Scot-Irish folks that populate much of Appalachia and the South and Border States, the percentage of the Democrats' white vote would be significantly higher. 
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2015, 07:42:08 PM »

D+1, obvsly guyz
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies