AZ shuts down welfare benefits after 12 months......
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:13:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  AZ shuts down welfare benefits after 12 months......
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: AZ shuts down welfare benefits after 12 months......  (Read 2515 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2015, 08:05:31 AM »

What do you propose someone do if they find themselves spending more than twelve months over the course of their life in a minimum wage job that doesn't allow them to afford food or housing or healthcare?
I don't know what the cost of living in Arizona is, but here in South Carolina, while it would be rather spartan, it is possible for a single person to obtain adequate food, housing, and healthcare on a full-time minimum wage job.

The problem is that you would be in South Carolina.

Yes, how dare they have low taxes but also a balanced budget?!
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2015, 08:16:09 AM »

What do you propose someone do if they find themselves spending more than twelve months over the course of their life in a minimum wage job that doesn't allow them to afford food or housing or healthcare?
I don't know what the cost of living in Arizona is, but here in South Carolina, while it would be rather spartan, it is possible for a single person to obtain adequate food, housing, and healthcare on a full-time minimum wage job.

Sure it would be easiest for single people, but the bulk of welfare goes to families with non-working depeendents. What are they to do?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2015, 08:34:56 AM »

That has nothing to do with cost of living.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2015, 12:19:39 PM »

That has nothing to do with cost of living.

Still 7.30% lower than the national average
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2015, 12:27:07 PM »

Every state but Vermont has a law that obligates them to play the budget-balance game.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2015, 12:30:52 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2015, 12:34:59 PM by King »

I live in a state and city with an even lower cost of living than South Carolina and our minimum wage is $9/hr and we have Medicaid expansion and a higher income tax rate than any of our neighboring states. Our per capita state spending is $3,000 more than SC and yet we have the same credit rating of AA+ by S&P.

South Carolina also has an unemployment rate 0.6% higher and their in-state college tuition is twice as high.

And we're governed by Republicans.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2015, 12:43:19 PM »

Is their goal to make self-deportation a reality?
I know I would self-deport from Arizona at this rate.

That's the general idea, yes.

Joe might be on the new Southern Border.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2015, 12:44:45 PM »

Is their goal to make self-deportation a reality?
I know I would self-deport from Arizona at this rate.

That's the general idea, yes.

Joe might be on the new Southern Border.

At least northern AZ should be kept in America. It has many redeeming qualities.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2015, 02:07:46 PM »

At least Arizona isn't in charge of administering native american benefits on the Hopi reservation. That would have been the first thing cut to pay for the tax cuts for the rich.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2015, 11:08:15 PM »

I'd count that as an additional benefit myself.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2015, 11:32:02 PM »

1,600 families in an entire state is a rounding error. This isn't about policy or budgets. It's about ignorant and emotional tv ads for re-election. OMG, teh Welfare Queenz!!!!1111
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2015, 11:43:43 PM »

The GOP truly is just the marketing arm of the upper classes.  This is pathetic and evil but what else do you expect from the state GOP of conservative states these days?  It started with Romney in 2012... they aren't even keeping the facade of working or standing up for regular Americans anymore.  Just a bunch of megamerican, uber-nationalist white noise to sucker people into voting for this depraved game. 
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2015, 02:32:28 AM »

Every state but Vermont has a law that obligates them to play the budget-balance game.

It still has a balanced budget anyway. Smiley
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2015, 07:17:30 AM »

megamerican, uber-nationalist white noise
I love a good double entendre. Bravo Hockey Dude!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies