Opinion of the R-Word Campaign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:18:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the R-Word Campaign
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom Campaign

Horrible Campaign

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Opinion of the R-Word Campaign  (Read 1549 times)
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2015, 05:42:36 PM »

Because f[inks]k it, I'm bored and have nothing better to do.

http://www.r-word.org/

The worst sort of morality police.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 05:49:05 PM »

Retarded.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 05:56:10 PM »

This is retarded.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 06:20:46 PM »

rofl
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 06:30:19 PM »

Saw their ad not too long ago.

Soon we'll be getting "i-word" and "m-word" campaigns due to their historical use in describing the mentally ill. These folks will never run out over things to get offended over.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 07:06:51 PM »

Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 07:09:19 PM »

SJW nonsense. I demand that they stop using terms like "cis scum" and "heteronormative".
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 07:14:49 PM »

SJW nonsense. I demand that they stop using terms like "cis scum" and "heteronormative".
?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 07:15:58 PM »

Geez, where did you all grow up? I mean, I don't think it's the worst word in the world though I've never used it in the noun form. I'd imagine most have the decency to at least restrain themselves from using it most of the time and from what I've seen, actively discouraging others from doing so.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 09:05:25 PM »

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 11:59:32 PM »

It says on there "Pledge your support to eliminate the demeaning use of the r-word."   Which in itself suggests that there is an appropriate way to use the word.  But then you'd think maybe they wouldn't speak of "ending" a word, and they might say the word on the site itself instead of just referring to it obliquely.   I don't think going around calling people retarded, or using the word as an insult, is generally a good idea. But as a response to this it's a bit over the top.  Retarded means slow.  Perhaps that is not a good descriptor for someone - if so the question becomes how do mental .. challenges/disabilities/differences/whatever, and how do we think of them.  That should be the focus more than a particular word.  Saying the word is probably not appropriate more often than not.  But this is a strange concept for a t-shirt.

But at least this is not at the level of ridiculousness of #banbossy
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 01:27:47 AM »

muh free speech Cry
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 07:21:14 AM »

Geez, where did you all grow up? I mean, I don't think it's the worst word in the world though I've never used it in the noun form. I'd imagine most have the decency to at least restrain themselves from using it most of the time and from what I've seen, actively discouraging others from doing so.

What kind of people do you hang out where someone saying "retard" is tut tutted about? I get that you wouldn't use it in, like, a shareholder's meeting, but in casual company?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 07:51:36 AM »

Soon we'll be getting "i-word" and "m-word" campaigns due to their historical use in describing the mentally ill. These folks will never run out over things to get offended over.

Yes, I mean I can respect that words like "retard" have a certain very negative connotation but let's focus on the real issues SJWs.  Like, the insanely terrible state that mental health care is in this nation.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 07:58:39 AM »

Yes, I mean I can respect that words like "retard" have a certain very negative connotation but let's focus on the real issues SJWs.  Like, the insanely terrible state that mental health care is in this nation.
That might require them do something more than bitch on Tumblr or reTweeting a phrase.  They don't have time for that.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 09:25:20 AM »
« Edited: May 20, 2015, 09:41:49 AM by SMilo »

What kind of people do you hang out where someone saying "retard" is tut tutted about? I get that you wouldn't use it in, like, a shareholder's meeting, but in casual company?

Typically in my schooling there were multiple presentations on this each year. My friend group was mostly anti-PC and adamantly so, but if we want to go by HS stereotypes, it seemed stereotypical athletes (though not necessarily totally stupid ones. Middling intelligence) were the ones most against it.

(Oh and I nearly forgot - the peer leaders so that's another 20% of my school knocking it)
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 09:48:41 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOLbuFVG0fs
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2015, 01:05:15 PM »

Stuff like the "r-word campaign" or people complaing about "gay" being used as an adjective to describe something that's stupid/lame are just ensuring people say the words in a demeaning way more often.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 02:11:36 PM »

I have a severely autistic brother who will never have any form of self sufficiency or independence of any kind. He lives in a group home and is doing quite well, but he will never be able to live on his own and my brother and I will have to look after him for the rest of our lives once our parents are gone (which isn't a burden and something that I am perfectly fine with undertaking, for whatever its worth).  He is not a "retard" and in fifth grade I once punched a kid who referred to my youngest brother as such. But the "retard" in a context outside of insults isn't a horrible word. I use the term "retard" and "retarded", and I would never in a million years demean the handicapped after watching my youngest brother struggle day in and day out to express even the simplest statement or request.

That being said, this campaign is retarded.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2015, 02:36:31 PM »

I have a severely autistic brother who will never have any form of self sufficiency or independence of any kind. He lives in a group home and is doing quite well, but he will never be able to live on his own and my brother and I will have to look after him for the rest of our lives once our parents are gone (which isn't a burden and something that I am perfectly fine with undertaking, for whatever its worth).  He is not a "retard" and in fifth grade I once punched a kid who referred to my youngest brother as such. But the "retard" in a context outside of insults isn't a horrible word. I use the term "retard" and "retarded", and I would never in a million years demean the handicapped after watching my youngest brother struggle day in and day out to express even the simplest statement or request.

That being said, this campaign is retarded.

Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2015, 12:07:05 AM »

While I don't have one yet, I plan on getting a Model T at some point. One of the things that you have to do in order to start one is to "retard the spark" by moving the timing advance lever all the way up. Needless to say, I think that this campaign is
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2015, 05:30:30 AM »

Stuff like the "r-word campaign" or people complaing about "gay" being used as an adjective to describe something that's stupid/lame are just ensuring people say the words in a demeaning way more often.

Really? From my experience the word 'gay' completely vanished as an insult when I was like ... fourteen. Whether that is because of a changing cultural zeitgeist or because I simply stopped being fourteen is an open question, but I can't imagine using the word gay as a derogatory sense just out of spite caused from someone telling you not to use that word. That seems like the actions of a an arse.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2015, 01:36:18 PM »

Really? From my experience the word 'gay' completely vanished as an insult when I was like ... fourteen. Whether that is because of a changing cultural zeitgeist or because I simply stopped being fourteen is an open question, but I can't imagine using the word gay as a derogatory sense just out of spite caused from someone telling you not to use that word. That seems like the actions of a an arse.

My guess is that it is still fairly common among middle schoolers, although that kinda speaks for itself.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2015, 01:37:57 PM »

Geez, where did you all grow up?

The real world.

Anyway, the campaign is stupid.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2015, 09:38:36 PM »

"Retarded" as an adjective is one thing, but "retard" as a noun used as an insult is comparable to nigg-r, fagg-t, etc.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies