Palestinians banned from riding same buses as Israelis: official
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:05:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Palestinians banned from riding same buses as Israelis: official
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Palestinians banned from riding same buses as Israelis: official  (Read 2105 times)
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2015, 09:02:51 PM »

The head of FIFA has already explicitly said there are no grounds to suspend Israel - something they didn't even consider doing to Iran when they butchered hundreds of peaceful protestors in the streets and hung gay teenagers - so any further action on that front will only discredit FIFA, much like "Zionism is Racism" discredited the UN.

As for the actual article - asshole proposes bad policy, government looks into it and doesn't put it into effect.

The asshole happens to be the Defense Minister. Happy, at least, you are willing to acknowledge he is an asshole.

Yeah, at first it was just "anonymous official", but if the Defense Minister is responsible, that's a more serious issue.

Still, Netanyahu determines policy, not him. And Netanyahu is a smart man who wouldn't sign on to something like this.

And Netanyahu has just appointed this asshole to the Defense post.  BTW, that is the position from which the asshole in question has nearly absolute control over the lives of Palestinians in the territories (unless the PM is willing to step in, of course). BTW, from what we know, on any "assholeness" measure one can think of, this guy is well under the median in the present government. Which Mr. Netanyahu-the-adult has just appointed.

Not really any argument with this, but as this showed, Netanyahu is willing to step in when he goes over the line.

If this policy goes into effect at any point, that's a different discussion, but that's not the case now.

I am just reminding you, that Netanyahu CHOSE this guy to be the person who controls pretty much every aspect of day-to-day live of every single Palestinian in a big chunk of the West Bank (Zones C and B). Are you expecting to even hear of every outrage that is being done there?

Yes, Mr. Netanyahu will interfere when things become a public scandal. But he, obviously, intends everything else to go through. And, as long as you do not hear about it, you will sleep sound thinking Netanyahu is a nice guy.

Given the total focus the global media has on Israeli misdeeds, I have little doubt that we'll hear of every significant change in this vein, so if public scandals are what needed, they'll happen.

It's really more than I think Netanyahu is a savvy politician who knows that Obama is looking for anything to make it politically acceptable for him to drop the hammer on Israel.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2015, 10:04:31 PM »

Given the total focus the global media has on Israeli misdeeds, I have little doubt that we'll hear of every significant change in this vein, so if public scandals are what needed, they'll happen.

It's really more than I think Netanyahu is a savvy politician who knows that Obama is looking for anything to make it politically acceptable for him to drop the hammer on Israel.

This is a common misconception among my fellow-tribesmen: the world does not really care much about Israe. The "global media", whatever it is, very rarely pays much attention to Israel. And, most definitely, it pays very little attention to Palestinians. An occasional scandal gets noticed, but little otherwise.

I love to make a quick article count to illustrate the point. I have in my hands Reforma - leading newspaper for Mexico´s middle class. Today´s international page has 4 news about the US, plus another about the US-Cuban relations, one item about a Chinese investment project in Brazil, and one each about Bolivia, Venezuela and Colombia. Ok, this was before the Israeli segregation news - sure, it will be there as well tomorrow.

So, I am logging up on elpais.com, international section. As every newspaper site it has all the news from the last few days. Yes, the Israeli bus story is there. The other international news are  (including the blogs)

Syria (2 items),
Osama bin Laden (2 items)
Malaysia/Indonesia/Myanmar/refugees (3 items)
Refugees in Europe (1 item)
Cuba/US (2 items)
Cuba alone (1 item)
Portugal (1 item)
Venezuela/US (1 item)
Colombia/US (1 item)
Colombia alone (1 item)
Guatemala (2 items)
US/Middle East (but no Israel) (1 item)
Middle East alone (ISIS, really, with some excursion all the way into Ottoman Empire) (1 item)
Mexico (3 items)
US alone (2 items)
France (2 items)
India (1 item)
UK (1 item)
Italy/North Africa (1 item)
Egypt (no reference to Israel) (1 item)
Ex-USSR/Cuba/Spain (1 item about some exhibit in Moscow)
Oman (1 item)

There are more stories if one goes into the regional subdivisions, but that is the front page - except for Israel. What about Israel? Well, there is a fresh news about the buses at the very top, and that gave the reason to link two stories from the Mideast section about the FIFA thing (including one about the "peace match"). That's it. That is the European Left obscession with Israel.

Ah, and what about the mideast section? May be, at least that is Israel-obscessed? These are the articles for the last few days

US/Mideast (1 item)
Egypt (no Israel) (4 items)
Syria (4 items)
Syria/Spain (2 items)
Refugees into Europe (1 item)
Iran (no Israel) (2 items)
Israel/Palestine (3 items - same as before, 2 about football)
Turkey (1 item)
Saudi Arabia/Spain (1 item)
Qatar (1 item)
Iraq (3 items)
Yemen (3 items)
ISIS in general (1 item)
Vatican/Palestine (1 item)

Yes, they are all Israel-obsessed here.

ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2015, 10:16:10 PM »

Once we are at it, and for the recrod. The Globe and Mail, toronto, international section

Rwanda/US (1)
Burundi/US (1)
Burundi alone (4)
Syria (1)
Osama bin Laden (1)
St. Lucia/Canada (1)
US/Canada (3)
China (1)
US alone (5)
US/Iraq (1)
Macedonia (1)
Afghanistan (1)
Nepal (2)
Egypt (1)
Bolivia (1)
North Korea/US (1)
North Korea alone (1)
South Korea (2)
Myanmar/refugees (1)
Israel (3 - bus, FIFA, Palestinian shot for driving into the police)
Israel/Canada (1 - a Canadian arrested in Israel)
Guinea/Sierra Leone (1)
South Africa (1)
UK (2)
France (1)
Greece (1)
Chile (1)
ECB (1)

ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2015, 10:21:23 PM »

The Age (Melbourne), the first page of the World News sectionon the web today

Syria (3)
North Korea (3)
UK (1)
Tunisia/Italy (1)
US (6)
US/Asia (1)
Indonesia (2)
Kenya (1)
Israel (1 - the bus)
Osama bin Laden (3)
France/Europe/Refugees (1)
Russia (1)
Refugees/Thailand (1)
Refugees/Myanmar (1)

ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2015, 10:28:14 PM »

Frankfurter Algemeine Zeitung. Ausland - articles on the first page of the internet version today

Syria (2)
Ukraine/EU (1)
Osama bin Laden (3)
Israel (1 - relationship between Netanyahu and his cabinet, nothing about Palestinians)
Russia/Ukraine (1)
Italy/Tunisia (1)
Iraq (2)
North Korea (2)
Malaysia/Indonesia/Myanmar/refugees (1)
Iran (1)
China/Brazil (1)
UK (2)
Europe/refugees (1)
Saudi Arabia (1)
Netherlands/Germany (1)

ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2015, 10:30:00 PM »

Sorry for a string of seemingly irrelevant posts. But, hopefully, this is enough to illustrate that if it seems to you that the world is only talking about the Jews, that is because you are, probably, Jewish Smiley
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2015, 11:04:43 PM »

Anyone think Ya'alon is trying to get hardline support for a possible leadership run? He's old but I've heard rumors...
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2015, 11:12:55 PM »

Anyone think Ya'alon is trying to get hardline support for a possible leadership run? He's old but I've heard rumors...

Or he is simply an asshole, as our Republican friend here suggested Smiley

He may, though.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2015, 11:16:13 PM »

Or he is simply an asshole, as our Republican friend here suggested Smiley

He may, though.
I think the adjective used was a little... mild perhaps?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies