Are the Lives of Native Americans more important than dissolving national banks?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:34:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Are the Lives of Native Americans more important than dissolving national banks?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Your thoughts?
Yes, without question

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: Are the Lives of Native Americans more important than dissolving national banks?  (Read 423 times)
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 20, 2015, 11:19:22 AM »

Option 1 (sane).
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 11:56:48 AM »

I'm not sure what this question is trying to prove here, as it doesn't really negate my point about how some on this website completely ignore the outright savagery that was Vietnam because it is a dark black mark on LBJ's record.  We should indeed view Andrew Jackson with a great deal of negativity for his anti-Indian policies just as much as we should view LBJ negatively for greenlighting a war that killed over a million Southeast Asians.

As for the troll question itself, yes of course.  I don't know how 40,000 lives are less important than an admittedly corrupt financial institution.  Ideally I would have liked to have not killed 40,000 Native Americans AND dissolve the Second Bank of the United States, but if you are giving me a do or die decision I will obviously go with the former (especially since given the latter's biggest crime was political cronyism, which is a bit less of a crime than say genocide).
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 12:17:27 PM »

I'm not sure what this question is trying to prove here, as it doesn't really negate my point about how some on this website completely ignore the outright savagery that was Vietnam because it is a dark black mark on LBJ's record.  We should indeed view Andrew Jackson with a great deal of negativity for his anti-Indian policies just as much as we should view LBJ negatively for greenlighting a war that killed over a million Southeast Asians.

As for the troll question itself, yes of course.  I don't know how 40,000 lives are less important than an admittedly corrupt financial institution.  Ideally I would have liked to have not killed 40,000 Native Americans AND dissolve the Second Bank of the United States, but if you are giving me a do or die decision I will obviously go with the former (especially since given the latter's biggest crime was political cronyism, which is a bit less of a crime than say genocide).

Not a "troll question" in any way, as I don't, nor will I ever, defend LBJ's foreign policy record (and I voted for Option 2 in your poll, BTW). I've just noticed a tendency of apologist attitudes towards Jackson's behavior towards Indians (mostly among libertarians, but I've seen it with a few "true leftists" do this as well) simply because the bank disillusion alone. I figured the point was worth bringing up, as was yours in the other thread.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 06:37:25 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2015, 06:41:29 PM by Mechaman »

40,000? The Trail of Tears didn't kill anywhere near 40,000 people....

Okay, maybe I am remembering my numbers wrong here Tongue.  Might have been that 40,000 were forcibly removed and 20,000 of them died or something.  I just know it was a lot.

Okay, just read wikipedia.  Apparently it is a lot lower than that (like 16,000 or so).  Still kind of bad.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies