The Democratic Party's Greatest Hits!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:50:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  The Democratic Party's Greatest Hits!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which of the following would you say is your favorite example of Democratic Party governance down through the ages?
The running campaign to eradicate Native Americans begun by Andrew Jackson and continued by subsequent Democratic presidents

Martin Van Buren doing literally nothing during an economic depression caused by the Democrats' destruction of the Bank of the United States

Invading Mexico and slaughtering innocent people to make the west safe for slavery

Acting as apologists for and defenders of slavery during the entire first quarter-century of their existance as a political party

Trying to destroy the country to preserve slavery (Southern Democrat option)

Openly collaborating with those trying to destroy the country to preserve slavery (Northern Democrat option)

Pardoning traitors who tried to destroy the country to preserve slavery

Black Codes/Anti-miscegenation laws/Jim Crow

Establishment of a violent, far-right paramilitary group to execute freedmen and federal agents during the Reconstruction period (aka the Klu Klux Klan)

Actively participating in or turning a blind eye to lynch mob executions of black Americans in the South

Chinese Exclusion Act

Using the military to put down the Pullman strike

President Woodrow Wilson re-segregating the White House

Pledging to 'keep us out of war' and then getting the US involved in World War I

Botching the post-WWI peace process

Burning crops while people starved during the Great Depression to push up farm prices

FDR using the military to put down more strikes than any other President in US history

Sending an entire group of people to concentration camps on account of their ethnic background

Vaporizing two cities full of non-combatants with atomic weapons in spite of the fact that the Japanese were willing to surrender

Purging labor unions and civil society of communists and gays during the late 1940s and early 1950s

Using the CIA to overthrow democratically elected governments in Latin America, e.g. Brazil in 1964, etc.

Nearly wiping out human civilization in an atomic dick waving contest with the USSR

Getting tens of thousands of Americans and millions of Vietnamese killed to maintain muh western hegemony in Indochina

Arming religious fanatics in Afghanistan to wipe out the socially progressive, pro-woman government there

Voting for most of Reagan's domestic agenda while pretending to oppose it

Ending 'welfare as we know it', i.e. liquidating what was left of the 'Great Society' they pretended to care about so much

Proposing school uniforms and kicking teen moms off of welfare as 'solutions' to poverty and lack of education in the US

Ramping up the drug war during the 1990s

Hypermilitarizing the police, FBI, and ICE during the Clinton years

Whitewater/Ruby Ridge/Waco/Assorted corruption of the Clinton years

Voting for the War in Iraq

Voting for the PATRIOT Act

Pretending to oppose #31 and #32

Executing minors with drone strikes

BENGHAZI

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: The Democratic Party's Greatest Hits!  (Read 2503 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 20, 2015, 05:57:46 PM »

I got tired of typing. Here you go, friends!
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 06:00:19 PM »

It's official:

Greatest
Fucking
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 06:11:04 PM »

This is great. Do one for the Republican Party!
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 06:29:48 PM »

LOL, this awesome.  Sadly, as EG noted, you could make a pretty harsh one for the GOP, too.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 06:33:15 PM »

Ha. Great. Hope to see one for the GOP, too.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 06:36:43 PM »

Coming from the poster who wouldn't vote to convict Timothy McVeigh, ok.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 07:17:56 PM »

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 07:21:41 PM »

Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 07:26:58 PM »

Cry more. Sad
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 07:28:43 PM »

I personally like the Mexican American war because people still apologize for it even though it was literally just the U.S. government invading a foreign country with no provocation with the intent of expanding slavery.

Because this is somehow relevant to the thread?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 07:37:22 PM »

But, but, those Democrats would all be Republicans now! Tongue

Anyway, all of the above.  Although supporting slavery and the Confederacy wasn't just a Southern Democrat thing; there were a lot of Northern "Copperheads" who were pro-slavery and pro-Confederacy, too.

Of course, Dems are always trying to blame the GOP for all these things.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 07:56:01 PM »

I got tired of typing. Here you go, friends!

Here's a better thread

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=213166.0
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 08:53:41 PM »

But, but, those Democrats would all be Republicans now! Tongue

Anyway, all of the above.  Although supporting slavery and the Confederacy wasn't just a Southern Democrat thing; there were a lot of Northern "Copperheads" who were pro-slavery and pro-Confederacy, too.

Of course, Dems are always trying to blame the GOP for all these things.

True. Only Democrats could be so vain and hypocritical as to accuse the people who leave the Democratic Party of blatant racism. They don't even know their own history.

Southern Democrats are the worst faction in US history, yet Northern Democrats still won't get rid of the vestigial paternalism that infects in the party. Slavery is not less unacceptable, if you give people suffrage, but you still exert control over their lives, dominate their perception of reality, and demand absolute allegiance.

The Democratic Party is so filthy that only a Republican boogie man could make people forget history.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 09:21:10 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2015, 09:24:12 PM by National Progressive »

I personally like the Mexican American war because people still apologize for it even though it was literally just the U.S. government invading a foreign country with no provocation with the intent of expanding slavery.

Except that interpretation of the war is as simplistic as Manifest Destiny jingoism. Border conflicts were already going on at the time, with both sides obviously blaming the other. And the Mexican-American War was fought to expand territory period not to expand slavery. It has to be remembered Polk was a fairly "moderate" Southerner in the tradition of Jackson who wanted expansion primarily for strengthening the American state rather than a regionalist/ideological interest of expanding slavery and that the opponents of the Mexican Cession included not just New England abolitionist but also the staunch stalwarts of States' Rights such as John C. Calhoun.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]
Because this is somehow relevant to the thread?
[/quote]

Perhaps we should have a "Marxism's Greatest Hits" thread instead.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 09:31:40 PM »

Everything pre-Wilson is kind of unfair even if you are mocking the Communism thread since that is both a party and ideology while this is just a party, but honestly, spot on. Drone strikes on minors is a great one. Thread of the year.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 09:32:59 PM »

Everything pre-Wilson is kind of unfair even if you are mocking the Communism thread since that is both a party and ideology while this is just a party, but honestly, spot on. Drone strikes on minors is a great one. Thread of the year.

Seriously?  That's complete nonsense.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 09:55:05 PM »

I love how the Communists are teaming up with the Tea Partiers in this thread.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2015, 09:56:40 PM »

You can't be that big of a hack, can you?  There MIGHT be two TEA Partiers on this site, and zero have posted in this thread.
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 09:57:47 PM »

They read "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" and took it completely the wrong way...
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2015, 09:57:54 PM »

It's official:

Greatest
Fucking

Certainly up there!
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2015, 10:00:34 PM »

Seriously?  That's complete nonsense.

...You can support drone strikes for the greater good, but you can't pretend the facts are not correct and those major and often disastrous side effects do not occur.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2015, 10:04:33 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2015, 10:09:59 PM by AggregateDemand »

While Democratic haters always like a bombastic tag team, it's only because of the blinding hypocrisy of the Democratic Party. Always trying to divine fairness and justice by looking at the past, but never their own ignoble human rights catastrophes.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2015, 10:06:10 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2015, 10:08:01 PM by RINO Tom »

Just throwing this obvious truth out there to hacks of both parties:

Obviously, the Democratic Party of the 1800s is not the Democratic Party of today, and modern Democrats should not feel they carry the burden of the party's unfortunate past.  I believe they can celebrate the parts they're proud of (New Deal/Great Society/whatever) while deflecting the not-so-proud parts (slavery, secession and segregation) without really being hypocrites.

With that said, it's a truly shameful and pathetic endeavor to rightfully be embarrassed of black marks in your party's history to the point that you must craft a new reality where the parties effectively switched and use lame and simplistic talking points like "Lincoln's Republicans loved big government!" (didn't George W. Bush, really?) or "Teddy Roosevelt broke up the trusts!" (Reagan had one of the biggest trust busts in recent memory, no?) to support this "theory," completely ignoring that the truth is more complex.

Anyway, I would go with literally causing the Civil War, but it is WAY too lost on history how many Northern Democrats (and even a few Southern ones, like Johnson) were fiercely loyal to the Union ... so I will go with Wilson re-segregating the Federal government, as it is the perfect instance to DESTROY the absurd notion that being racist or intolerant is somehow inherently incompatible with being a progressive.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2015, 10:12:24 PM »

Obviously, the Democratic Party of the 1800s is not the Democratic Party of today, and modern Democrats should not feel they carry the burden of the party's unfortunate past.  I believe they can celebrate the parts they're proud of (New Deal/Great Society/whatever) while deflecting the not-so-proud parts (slavery, secession and segregation) without really being hypocrites.

With that said, it's a truly shameful and pathetic endeavor to rightfully be embarrassed of black marks in your party's history to the point that you must craft a new reality where the parties effectively switched and use lame and simplistic talking points like "Lincoln's Republicans loved big government!" (didn't George W. Bush, really?) or "Teddy Roosevelt broke up the trusts!" (Reagan had one of the biggest trust busts in recent memory, no?) to support this "theory," completely ignoring that the truth is more complex.

Anyway, I would go with literally causing the Civil War, but it is WAY too lost on history how many Northern Democrats (and even a few Southern ones, like Johnson) were fiercely loyal to the Union ... so I will go with Wilson re-segregating the Federal government, as it is the perfect instance to DESTROY the absurd notion that being racist or intolerant is somehow inherently incompatible with being a progressive.

This is the most sensible post in this thread. I would argue that modern progressivism is incompatible with racism, though.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 10:17:09 PM »

This is the most sensible post in this thread. I would argue that modern progressivism is incompatible with racism, though.

Fair enough, but on what grounds?  I don't think any conservative would profess that racism is compatible with conservatism, haha.  Most conservatives don't think of themselves as racist, so when progressives accuse them of racism, it doesn't seem all that different to me than when conservatives accuse progressives of being racist (in a different way).  Entertain this hypothetical situation:

Democrat: You don't support affirmative action programs because you're a racist and don't care about helping minorities.

Republican: No, you're a racist because you SUPPORT affirmative action, as it's a program based on the belief that minorities are inferior and need extra help; it's paternalizing and offensive.

I don't buy into the second argument, but I also don't think the fact that I disagree with it gives me the right or the intellectual grounds to accuse it of being racist.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies