The Democratic Party's Greatest Hits!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:44:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  The Democratic Party's Greatest Hits!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Which of the following would you say is your favorite example of Democratic Party governance down through the ages?
The running campaign to eradicate Native Americans begun by Andrew Jackson and continued by subsequent Democratic presidents

Martin Van Buren doing literally nothing during an economic depression caused by the Democrats' destruction of the Bank of the United States

Invading Mexico and slaughtering innocent people to make the west safe for slavery

Acting as apologists for and defenders of slavery during the entire first quarter-century of their existance as a political party

Trying to destroy the country to preserve slavery (Southern Democrat option)

Openly collaborating with those trying to destroy the country to preserve slavery (Northern Democrat option)

Pardoning traitors who tried to destroy the country to preserve slavery

Black Codes/Anti-miscegenation laws/Jim Crow

Establishment of a violent, far-right paramilitary group to execute freedmen and federal agents during the Reconstruction period (aka the Klu Klux Klan)

Actively participating in or turning a blind eye to lynch mob executions of black Americans in the South

Chinese Exclusion Act

Using the military to put down the Pullman strike

President Woodrow Wilson re-segregating the White House

Pledging to 'keep us out of war' and then getting the US involved in World War I

Botching the post-WWI peace process

Burning crops while people starved during the Great Depression to push up farm prices

FDR using the military to put down more strikes than any other President in US history

Sending an entire group of people to concentration camps on account of their ethnic background

Vaporizing two cities full of non-combatants with atomic weapons in spite of the fact that the Japanese were willing to surrender

Purging labor unions and civil society of communists and gays during the late 1940s and early 1950s

Using the CIA to overthrow democratically elected governments in Latin America, e.g. Brazil in 1964, etc.

Nearly wiping out human civilization in an atomic dick waving contest with the USSR

Getting tens of thousands of Americans and millions of Vietnamese killed to maintain muh western hegemony in Indochina

Arming religious fanatics in Afghanistan to wipe out the socially progressive, pro-woman government there

Voting for most of Reagan's domestic agenda while pretending to oppose it

Ending 'welfare as we know it', i.e. liquidating what was left of the 'Great Society' they pretended to care about so much

Proposing school uniforms and kicking teen moms off of welfare as 'solutions' to poverty and lack of education in the US

Ramping up the drug war during the 1990s

Hypermilitarizing the police, FBI, and ICE during the Clinton years

Whitewater/Ruby Ridge/Waco/Assorted corruption of the Clinton years

Voting for the War in Iraq

Voting for the PATRIOT Act

Pretending to oppose #31 and #32

Executing minors with drone strikes

BENGHAZI

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: The Democratic Party's Greatest Hits!  (Read 2504 times)
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2015, 10:19:41 PM »

Everything pre-Wilson is kind of unfair even if you are mocking the Communism thread since that is both a party and ideology while this is just a party, but honestly, spot on. Drone strikes on minors is a great one. Thread of the year.

Seriously?  That's complete nonsense.

https://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/category/projects/drones/drones-graphs/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is also a conservative estimate, based on others I've seen, but for the sake of fairness, even lowballing it, it isn't exactly "complete nonsense."

Anyway, so many good ones on here. But for me, it's a tie between: Vietnam and slavery.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2015, 11:01:56 PM »

Just throwing this obvious truth out there to hacks of both parties:

Obviously, the Democratic Party of the 1800s is not the Democratic Party of today, and modern Democrats should not feel they carry the burden of the party's unfortunate past.  I believe they can celebrate the parts they're proud of (New Deal/Great Society/whatever) while deflecting the not-so-proud parts (slavery, secession and segregation) without really being hypocrites.

With that said, it's a truly shameful and pathetic endeavor to rightfully be embarrassed of black marks in your party's history to the point that you must craft a new reality where the parties effectively switched and use lame and simplistic talking points like "Lincoln's Republicans loved big government!" (didn't George W. Bush, really?) or "Teddy Roosevelt broke up the trusts!" (Reagan had one of the biggest trust busts in recent memory, no?) to support this "theory," completely ignoring that the truth is more complex.

Anyway, I would go with literally causing the Civil War, but it is WAY too lost on history how many Northern Democrats (and even a few Southern ones, like Johnson) were fiercely loyal to the Union ... so I will go with Wilson re-segregating the Federal government, as it is the perfect instance to DESTROY the absurd notion that being racist or intolerant is somehow inherently incompatible with being a progressive.

This is the most sensible post in this thread. I would argue that modern progressivism is incompatible with racism, though.

Fair enough, but on what grounds?  I don't think any conservative would profess that racism is compatible with conservatism, haha.  Most conservatives don't think of themselves as racist, so when progressives accuse them of racism, it doesn't seem all that different to me than when conservatives accuse progressives of being racist (in a different way).  Entertain this hypothetical situation:

Democrat: You don't support affirmative action programs because you're a racist and don't care about helping minorities.

Republican: No, you're a racist because you SUPPORT affirmative action, as it's a program based on the belief that minorities are inferior and need extra help; it's paternalizing and offensive.

I don't buy into the second argument, but I also don't think the fact that I disagree with it gives me the right or the intellectual grounds to accuse it of being racist.

If we exist in a timeless vacuum, clearly neither position is racist. "Democrat" is driven by a desire to eliminate inequality in opportunity between the races, which he believes is too ingrained in societal habits to naturally correct itself; "Republican" has greater faith in the ability of society to self-correct and considers "Democrat's" efforts unnecessary. The trouble arises when we view this in the context of centuries worth of racial tensions: it becomes much easier to see "Republican's" argument as a mask for racism, whether this is the case or not.

To be honest, I don't believe either ideology (progressivism or conservatism) is truly compatible with racism. It's true that as of late some racists have used conservative arguments ("small government", "states' rights", etc.) to mask their bigotry, but that doesn't make the ideology itself racist. Speaking once again in a timeless vacuum, both ideologies are based on the assumption that all people are born with equal rights; progressives see it as the duty of society, acting through government, to to make this a reality; conservatives believe that doing so is the responsibility of the individual, and argue that mass societal action to benefit some goes against the principle of equality. Both are incompatible with racism because they are founded on the assumption that all people are equal; both can be used to disguise racism by warping the language used to flesh out these ideologies.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2015, 11:41:50 PM »

We get it, the two party system sucks. Everyone realized this when they were 14.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2015, 03:02:55 AM »

Way to legitimise ridiculous non-scandals like benghazzi and whitewater by including them in a list of things that nobody should be proud of.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2015, 03:06:26 AM »

Also, I don't think this is accurate.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2015, 03:10:12 AM »

Also, I don't think this is accurate.
Yes, everything I've read suggests that the Japanese wanted to fight to the death. Atomic bombs were dropped because there were few alternatives......it's certainly unfortunate though.

I'd probably go for something like the re-segregation of the White House. Because most of these 'hits' while actions of Democrats....weren't necessarily the actions of the establishment.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2015, 05:04:37 AM »
« Edited: May 21, 2015, 05:08:32 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

It's worth pointing out that the March 9-10 1945 bombing of Tokyo killed more people than the Nagasaki bomb, and possibly more than the Hiroshima bomb, also. Yet, it isn't as remembered since it involved conventional bombs.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2015, 05:34:43 AM »

Of course, Dems are always trying to blame the GOP for all these things.

Apparently, Democrats blame Republicans for the Civil War. I've never seen this, but apparently it's a thing.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2015, 06:52:51 AM »
« Edited: May 21, 2015, 07:02:31 AM by Mechaman »

What I have learned so far from Democrats over the past few days:

Acts of mass murder against them yellows doesn't count.  After all, that is only 599,000 less people who will be taking your job someday.

EDIT: MUH CARS
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2015, 11:47:17 PM »

What I have learned so far from Democrats over the past few days:

Acts of mass murder against them yellows doesn't count.  After all, that is only 599,000 less people who will be taking your job someday.

EDIT: MUH CARS

Well, them yellows don't get to decide the elections, so we don't need their votes, ya know...

Japanese Americans get to vote. Obama won them by 40 points.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2015, 03:31:29 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies