Was Calvin Coolidge a good President? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:01:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Was Calvin Coolidge a good President? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Was Calvin Coolidge a good President?
Yes (D)

Yes (R)

Yes (I)

No (D)

No (R)

No (I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 70

Author Topic: Was Calvin Coolidge a good President?  (Read 4389 times)
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« on: May 21, 2015, 01:31:06 PM »

When judging a pre-New Deal president, we should get down to the question of what the presidency is or what it was supposed to be.  It was not yet solidified that the president should be the activist leader of all aspects of the political process that we expect of the President today.

Near as I can tell, Calvin Coolidge was a competent administrator of the Federal Government, dispassionately cleaning up the mess that was left to him by Warren Harding's death.  His administration scores well compared the authoritarian chaos of the last years of the Wilson Administration, or the corruption of the Harding years. His adminstrations handling of the 1927 Mississippi Flood was widely lauded (though it certainly had it's failings).  He did that which a good President of the United States was expected to accomplish in 1920s America.   As such, whatever my opinion of his policy views (not a protectionist, et al.)  I cannot say that he was a bad president
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies