Why is SSM such a big deal? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:54:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why is SSM such a big deal? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is SSM such a big deal?  (Read 17171 times)
ingemann
YaBB God

« on: May 21, 2015, 02:43:34 PM »

It seem to me the primary reason that SSM became the issue it is, was because Bush decided to use it as wedge issue in the 2004 election. Now I didn't follow American politics that well in the early 2000s, but it seem to me that the Republican more or less transformed it from niche issue to a national issue with their wave of attempted and successful SSM bans around there.

When that was done people had to decided and the problem (for the Republicans) are when you use a civil right issue as wedge issue, you usual end up on the wrong side issue. Many people are not happy about changing somewthing as fundamental as marriage and male homosexuality has both a "ick" factor, but also a religious factor. But on the other hand people don't like politicians who goes full bigot, and they could see in both real life and media, that homosexuals was people too.

So this are something the Republicans only have themselves to blame for, and it's good lesson in how short term gain may cost more down the road, if they embrace the wrong issue.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies