Huckabee to skip Iowa straw poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:52:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Huckabee to skip Iowa straw poll
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Huckabee to skip Iowa straw poll  (Read 698 times)
ericpolitico
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 21, 2015, 07:41:37 AM »

Will it hurt him? I think its quite risky decision as he won the 2008 caucus

Mike Huckabee will not participate in Iowa’s 2016 Republican straw poll, writing in an op-ed for The Des Moines Register that the contest, set for Aug. 8 in Boone, only “weakens conservative candidates” and strengthens “the Washington ruling class and their handpicked candidates.”

The former governor of Arkansas took a dig at other likely and declared candidates in the race, noting his “limited resources.”

“It’s clear that pitting conservative candidates with limited resources against each other in a non-binding and expensive summer straw poll battle, while allowing billionaire-backed establishment candidates to sit out, will only wound and weaken the conservative candidates who best represent conservative and hard-working Iowans,” Huckabee wrote, noting that past straw poll winners have not fared well in the subsequent presidential caucus.

If there’s any question about the caucuses’ importance, Huckabee wrote, “just ask our last Republican president or the current Democratic one, who both won the Iowa caucuses on their way to the White House.”

In his op-ed, Huckabee said it’s a decision that is based on investing resources to win.

“I appreciate the Iowa GOP for recognizing the need for some reforms,” he wrote, “but playing to win in the straw poll still requires a heavy concentration of staff and financial resources.”

In 2007, Huckabee finished second in the Iowa straw poll to Mitt Romney, though he did win the Republican caucus the following January.

“I love Iowa,” he wrote. “My goal is to run a well-funded, well-organized, and well-executed campaign to do extremely well in the Iowa caucuses in 2016.”

The only official RSVP to the event came from Donald Trump earlier in the week. The straw poll event comes two days after the first Republican debate in Cleveland on Aug. 6 and at the same time as the RedState Gathering in Atlanta from Aug. 6 to 9.

bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 11:45:49 AM »

I don't see a good reason for anyone except Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, and bottom feeder candidates to participate in the straw poll. Michele Bachmann practically destroyed all credibility it had by winning it last year.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 12:10:34 PM »

I don't see a good reason for anyone except Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, and bottom feeder candidates to participate in the straw poll. Michele Bachmann practically destroyed all credibility it had by winning it last year.

To be fair, without her medical problems, she would have won the Caucuses too...
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 05:46:48 PM »

Michele Bachmann practically destroyed all credibility it had by winning it last year.

It does feel like we have a presidential election every year, doesn't it?
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 09:42:37 PM »

Michele Bachmann practically destroyed all credibility it had by winning it last year.

It does feel like we have a presidential election every year, doesn't it?

Yeah, it really does.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies