Gallup poll: Record percentage support SSM
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:09:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gallup poll: Record percentage support SSM
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Gallup poll: Record percentage support SSM  (Read 3722 times)
CountryClassSF

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2015, 09:20:19 PM »

Just wait until SSM can be performed and recognized in all 50 states after June (I fully expect the Supreme Court to settle the issue). The graph of SSM support is going to look like an expedited version of interracial marriage. Conservatives will grumble about it for a time, probably gives LGBT relatives a hard time for a while, and the issue will just slowly go away.

But the G.G. will not let it go away. They want it in our faces 24/7 non stop. If I were told I'd never have to hear about this again, I'd be satisfied.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2015, 09:34:10 PM »

Just wait until SSM can be performed and recognized in all 50 states after June (I fully expect the Supreme Court to settle the issue). The graph of SSM support is going to look like an expedited version of interracial marriage. Conservatives will grumble about it for a time, probably gives LGBT relatives a hard time for a while, and the issue will just slowly go away.

But the G.G. will not let it go away. They want it in our faces 24/7 non stop. If I were told I'd never have to hear about this again, I'd be satisfied.

Not going to political forums and clicking on links with "Same Sex Marriage" in the title might be a start to the relief you seek.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2015, 09:44:28 PM »

The Court rules next month. Why would the SSM advocates shut up before the ruling? After it passes, there'll be a few weeks of celebration here (you might want to take the month of June off Atlas) and then gays will just get married and everyone else will stop talking about it.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2015, 09:51:41 PM »

CCSF, I would be happy to perform your same-sex wedding any time, pro bono. I am licensed in California (and other states, with new ones added each year), so just let me know. You might want to take me up on my offer now before the G.G.'s plans to force everyone to be same-sex-married come to fruition. Oops, I wasn't supposed to reveal---
CountryClassSF

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2015, 09:53:43 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I want to say that I really appreciate your words to me but why would I marry?
CountryClassSF

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2015, 09:55:23 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2015, 09:57:18 PM by CountryClassSF »

That's what I mean by in your face. Their celebrations have to be public. What is the purpose other than to taunt people? I live in the belly of the beast, thankfully I'm travelling a lot in June. Divine intervention there
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2015, 09:59:05 PM »

That's what I mean by in your face. Their celebrations have to be public. What is the purpose other than to taunt people? I live in the belly of the beast, thankfully I'm travelling a lot in June. Divine intervention there

It's our version of a sports championship parade. Which as a SF resident you've seen a few times this decade.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2015, 09:59:36 PM »

The Court rules next month. Why would the SSM advocates shut up before the ruling? After it passes, there'll be a few weeks of celebration here (you might want to take the month of June off Atlas) and then gays will just get married and everyone else will stop talking about it.

Since California began issuing SSM licenses, I don't see how anyone's lives have changed one bit here. All the news being reported on the issue is coming from out of state, when other states' bans are overturned, or references to the SCOTUS case.

I only see same-sex couples often because I frequent county recorder offices for my job. A normal citizen has to go that out of their way to find them (unless you live in West Hollywood or something). I just don't understand how this is so apocalyptic or worth burning this many brain cells over.

And the notion that heterosexual marriages are celebrated less, or in a lower profile way than same-sex marriages is absolutely absurd.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2015, 10:23:30 PM »

And a sports championship parade is comparable how? There are no anti-family statements, no trash talking of Republicans 24/7, no promiscuity.  Team pride is an entirely different scenario
CountryClassSF

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2015, 10:24:58 PM »

Since California began issuing SSM licenses, I don't see how anyone's lives have changed one bit here. All the news being reported on the issue is coming from out of state, when other states' bans are overturned, or references to the SCOTUS case.

I only see same-sex couples often because I frequent county recorder offices for my job. A normal citizen has to go that out of their way to find them (unless you live in West Hollywood or something). I just don't understand how this is so apocalyptic or worth burning this many brain cells over.

And the notion that heterosexual marriages are celebrated less, or in a lower profile way than same-sex marriages is absolutely absurd.

The thing is, the way it should be is you should not be made aware of complete stranger's sex lives. Why is there such a tremendous desire for people to flaunt it? When our votes were thrown out by the judicial tyrant who should have recused himself from the case, we didn't scream in the streets like the Prop 8 folks did the day after election day 2008. We stated our objection and that was it.  Now that SSM was imposed on California, why the need for endless flaunting/pride? I don't see the purpose other than to taunt.
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2015, 10:43:38 PM »

The thing is, the way it should be is you should not be made aware of complete stranger's sex lives. Why is there such a tremendous desire for people to flaunt it? When our votes were thrown out by the judicial tyrant who should have recused himself from the case, we didn't scream in the streets like the Prop 8 folks did the day after election day 2008. We stated our objection and that was it.  Now that SSM was imposed on California, why the need for endless flaunting/pride? I don't see the purpose other than to taunt.

I'm not big on pride parades, but I'd assume getting drunk with friends in public is a major motivation to constantly have them. And might also explain why they are so obviously happening when they are in town.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2015, 10:45:32 PM »

Having a drink with friends can all be done without forcing complete strangers to know about one's bedroom habits. I don't think there's any purpose other than to taunt
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2015, 10:47:02 PM »

It's tiring to hear people talk about SSM being "imposed" on the nation. While it may have been at the time of the some of the rulings, and certainly probably will be such for quite a while in about half the country, the trend towards acceptance in polling is undeniable. Yes, CA voted to ban gay marriage in 2008, yes it was reversed due to "judicial activism", but does anyone seriously doubt that it would pass today?

I wish there could be a nationwide vote on this, to show people that just because a state voted to ban gay marriage in 2004 doesn't mean those numbers represent the views of the people there now.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2015, 10:47:08 PM »

Um...do you think about what straight couples might be doing in bed when you see a wedding for them? Because a man and a woman might be doing a variety of things besides penis-in-vagina intercourse.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2015, 10:49:28 PM »

It's tiring to hear people talk about SSM being "imposed" on the nation. While it may have been at the time of the some of the rulings, and certainly probably will be such for quite a while in about half the country, the trend towards acceptance in polling is undeniable. Yes, CA voted to ban gay marriage in 2008, yes it was reversed due to "judicial activism", but does anyone seriously doubt that it would pass today?

I wish there could be a nationwide vote on this, to show people that just because a state voted to ban gay marriage in 2004 doesn't mean those numbers represent the views of the people there now.

But who's fault is that? The Republicans stopped fighting for it! The idea of fighting for what people believe in should just end when society takes a certain view? Did the gay movement decide to stop when people had other views 30 years ago?
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2015, 10:51:05 PM »

The whole point of the 2004 campaign promise by Bush for a constitutional amendment defining marriage as between one man and one woman was that opinion was moving against conservatives on the issue, and Bush knew he could tap into that fear one last time before it became a political liability, and the suckers on the right believed his lying ass, despite the fact the President has no say on Constitutional Amendments.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2015, 11:10:22 PM »

Having a drink with friends can all be done without forcing complete strangers to know about one's bedroom habits. I don't think there's any purpose other than to taunt

I'm going to be celebrating in the West Village outside of Stonewall.  And, then I'm going to force some Christians to bake me a cake because there's nothing they can do.  The gay agenda will have triumphed once and for all.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2015, 11:15:47 PM »

Good, you do that. because the more you do, the more momentum we get for RFRA laws.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2015, 11:17:55 PM »

Didn't it take until the 1990s for interracial marriage support to break 50%?

Yea, it did not reach majority support until 1995.

Interracial marriage is a choice. Homosexuality is not.

Interracial marriage is hardly a "choice" for children born to those couples.  And not a helpful sentiment in other ways as well.
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2015, 11:43:17 PM »

Good, you do that. because the more you do, the more momentum we get for RFRA laws.

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2015, 11:46:36 PM »

Um...do you think about what straight couples might be doing in bed when you see a wedding for them? Because a man and a woman might be doing a variety of things besides penis-in-vagina intercourse.

I certainly do. But unlike CCSF, I don't consider those haunting visions to be a bad thing. Cool
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies