Same % of Americans identify as socially liberal, conservative, for first time
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:50:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Same % of Americans identify as socially liberal, conservative, for first time
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Same % of Americans identify as socially liberal, conservative, for first time  (Read 1159 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2015, 02:38:56 PM »

http://www.gallup.com/poll/183386/social-ideology-left-catches-right.aspx

Thirty-one percent of Americans describe their views on social issues as generally liberal, matching the percentage who identify as social conservatives for the first time in Gallup records dating back to 1999.

Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 02:55:22 PM »

Great news!
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 02:56:18 PM »

http://www.gallup.com/poll/183386/social-ideology-left-catches-right.aspx

Thirty-one percent of Americans describe their views on social issues as generally liberal, matching the percentage who identify as social conservatives for the first time in Gallup records dating back to 1999.

You can gloat when Americans are economically liberal. Until then, we're moving towards a libertarian wonderland.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 03:36:11 PM »

And here I was hoping that this meant liberal and conservative overall and not just the fleeting social issues.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 03:52:25 PM »

they need to stop grouping social issues in to one because there are many young Republicans that are pro-lifers and anti-trad'l marriage. Social issues are not  mutually exclusive anymore
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 03:58:37 PM »

they need to stop grouping social issues in to one because there are many young Republicans that are pro-lifers and anti-trad'l marriage. Social issues are not  mutually exclusive anymore

And even some younger Democrats Wink
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 03:59:43 PM »

You can gloat when Americans are economically liberal. Until then, we're moving towards a libertarian wonderland.

Maybe in ideology, but not in actual choice. Republican identity has been static. They're not going to nominate an out and out libertarian any time soon. Democrats won't consider it either, obviously. Rich libertarians like the Koch Brothers are too scared of splitting the vote to support a third party candidacy.

More likely, we're going to end up with elections where maybe a serious libertarian could win, but that person isn't on the ballot.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 04:05:42 PM »

This is incredibly sad and evidence of our moral failings as a nation. A dark stain on the otherwise great era of Obama, but it's been coming for several years before we even knew the man's name.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 04:14:57 PM »

Young conservatives are overwhelmingly more socially liberal than their older counterparts, and that pendulum isn't swinging back any time soon.

However, as social issues become less effective for conservatives and economic issues and foreign policy issues become more prominent, that might wind up being very bad news for the left in the long run.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 04:15:25 PM »

This is incredibly sad and evidence of our moral failings as a nation. A dark stain on the otherwise great era of Obama, but it's been coming for several years before we even knew the man's name.

Never before have we had a generation that's been influenced solely by the Hollywood elite as well as an unashamed one-sided media. Combine that with the Republicans cowering in the corner, and it's a recipe for this poll.  
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 04:18:26 PM »

This thread got really mopey really quickly.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 04:20:24 PM »

Young conservatives are overwhelmingly more socially liberal than their older counterparts, and that pendulum isn't swinging back any time soon.

However, as social issues become less effective for conservatives and economic issues and foreign policy issues become more prominent, that might wind up being very bad news for the left in the long run.

Yeah, because the Republicans have so much credibility on both after Iraq and the 2008 financial crisis.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 04:22:53 PM »

Yeah, because the Republicans have so much credibility on both after Iraq and the 2008 financial crisis.

Good luck getting the young left to get those points across when they're too busy waxing rhapsodic about the French Revolution.

As young conservatives move towards the center on social issues, the young left moves more towards the fringe on the other issues.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 04:26:35 PM »

Good luck getting the young left to get those points across when they're too busy waxing rhapsodic about the French Revolution.

As young conservatives move towards the center on social issues, the young left moves more towards the fringe on the other issues.

Probably because the Democrats neoliberalism has hit a peak.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 04:27:59 PM »

This thread got really mopey really quickly.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2015, 04:35:08 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I agree with this actually. But from what I have looked at, 18-29ers are actually more pro-life than the preceding Generation X'ers.  I see so many college students at the Walk for Life in San Francisco. A lot of racial minorities too.

On pot and gay marriage though, different story.  That's why I think Gallup should separate the issues
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2015, 06:32:06 PM »

I agree with this actually. But from what I have looked at, 18-29ers are actually more pro-life than the preceding Generation X'ers.  I see so many college students at the Walk for Life in San Francisco. A lot of racial minorities too.

I hear this alot, but everytime it gets brought up, it gets proven to be incorrect, and if it is correct, it's usually something like 1 or 2% more pro-life.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2015, 06:53:05 PM »

And even some younger Democrats Wink

Pro life too? Interesting. Encouraging
CountryClassSF

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2015, 06:55:05 PM »

I hear this alot, but everytime it gets brought up, it gets proven to be incorrect, and if it is correct, it's usually something like 1 or 2% more pro-life.

Still progress. I haven't seen enough data but certainly in terms of activism I see more young pro lifers at the Walk, as well as social media. I think the number of pro-lifers has gone up since the 1990s.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2015, 08:10:31 PM »

Great to see America progressing forward!
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2015, 08:11:24 PM »

Great to see America progressing forward!
When should we declare victory in the culture wars?
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2015, 08:42:10 PM »

Still progress. I haven't seen enough data but certainly in terms of activism I see more young pro lifers at the Walk, as well as social media. I think the number of pro-lifers has gone up since the 1990s.

If it's true, it's regression. You're also more likely to see more young pro lifers because most activists in general tend to be young. The number of pro-lifers has more or less remained the same. Abortion is almost always a 50-50 split no matter what generation you're from, and likely will continue to be for decades more.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2015, 02:23:04 PM »

It was but Americans are now majority Pro-Choice again.

Americans Choose Pro-Choice For the First Time in 7 Years
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2015, 05:59:40 AM »

Never before have we had a generation that's been influenced solely by the Hollywood elite internet
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies