Palestinian national football team detained by Israel
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:37:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Palestinian national football team detained by Israel
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Palestinian national football team detained by Israel  (Read 1553 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2015, 08:59:45 PM »

http://mondoweiss.net/2015/05/palestinian-netanyahu-facilitate
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 09:10:11 PM »

A less biased source would be nice.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 10:29:18 PM »

Mondoweiss is revolting, a hive of self-hating Jews just short of Norm Finkelstein. Even most Jewish leftists consider them to be a dangerous group.

But then, you knew this.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 11:24:01 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2015, 11:26:56 PM by Snowstalker »

The self-hating Jew is a myth.

How about this: what on the current front oage do you find particularly problematic and why?
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 11:55:37 PM »

Most of what Mondoweiss publishes is literal ravings. Citing them is like citing Rense. Just terrible analysis to the extent that even a fourth grader with proficient reading ability would throw up his or her hands in despair after reading a typical article. On top of that, they have a strong tradition in self-righteousness/edginess accompanying the analytical inanity.

Regarding the topic though, this is not the first time.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 05:08:53 PM »

Mondoweiss is revolting, a hive of self-hating Jews just short of Norm Finkelstein. Even most Jewish leftists consider them to be a dangerous group.

But then, you knew this.

Why don't you respond to the actual topic instead of criticizing the source?
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 05:13:12 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2015, 05:16:20 PM by ingemann »

http://www.timesofisrael.com/palestinian-soccer-player-detained-at-jordan-crossing/

Here, are people happy now, and can you discuss the issue rather than the earlier source?

Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 10:50:15 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2015, 10:53:56 PM by Walker Republican »

http://www.timesofisrael.com/palestinian-soccer-player-detained-at-jordan-crossing/

Here, are people happy now, and can you discuss the issue rather than the earlier source?

Certainly.

It seems they briefly detained a single athlete due to some red flags in his background (Hamas links), much like any number of us might be flagged by TSA before boarding a plane. He was released shortly and allowed to proceed.

Ergo, the whole team wasn't detained, there was an actual reason for the detention, and the idea that a brief security delay is some sort of international incident kind of proves my point that MondoWeiss is trash.

Edit: I'm not entirely sure I trust this article either, though, just because I googled the player's name and I only got six hits on the entire internet via google, most of which seemed to be this article linked from somewhere. I wonder if they got the name wrong or what, because I'd like to see an article from a neutral perspective just to verify.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 10:50:48 PM »

But then, you knew this.

It deserves the same treatment as Rense or Stormfront, that's why.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 10:52:59 PM »

But then, you knew this.

Because Mondoweiss is a joke? Because all of the "sources" our resident anti-zionists bring up are usually jokes?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 11:07:38 PM »

The real story here is that 2 of the players are wearing socks with sandals in the photograph. What poor taste.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 10:39:56 AM »

But then, you knew this.

This is why having any kind of discussion with you is pointless. You think any kind of criticism of Israel on any level is equivalent to wanting to eliminate Jews from existence.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 11:32:11 AM »

But then, you knew this.

This is why having any kind of discussion with you is pointless. You think any kind of criticism of Israel on any level is equivalent to wanting to eliminate Jews from existence.

MondoWeiss isn't JStreet or even Jewish Voice for Peace, both of which are Israel-critical sites with some level of credibility or at least respectability. Mondoweiss is a revolting hive of anti-Israel, anti-Jewish conspiracies and libels.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 11:43:30 AM »

In what regards the bias of sources, The Times of Israel must be as joke media as that Mondoweiss. I have read the former, but never the latter. If you want impartiality, try international media (and still you must be careful with the sources). Oth, I suspect that derogatory expressions like "self hating Jews" speaks very eloquently of the people that use them. Lol at Zionist hacks, once again. Said this, Israeli security checkpoints in the Occupied Territories are awful places. Palestinians are accustomed to worse humiliations than that.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 12:12:26 PM »

In what regards the bias of sources, The Times of Israel must be as joke media as that Mondoweiss. I have read the former, but never the latter. If you want impartiality, try international media (and still you must be careful with the sources). Oth, I suspect that derogatory expressions like "self hating Jews" speaks very eloquently of the people that use them. Lol at Zionist hacks, once again. Said this, Israeli security checkpoints in the Occupied Territories are awful places. Palestinians are accustomed to worse humiliations than that.

What should be humiliating to them is that they live under plutocratic/1%er-like leadership in the West Bank, and they live under blood-thirsty terrorists in Gaza.

The world's fetish for the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict is reaching stalker-levels of obsession.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2015, 12:14:43 PM »

Mods plz lock this thread.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2015, 12:21:34 PM »

Yeah, I don't really trust them either. Weren't they the god-awful site that let some random stupid American with no ties to the conflict make a post about genocide that fed the anti-Israel media for months?

I can't find any real sources, though. The first has a blatant lie in the article headline, and the second, while having some decent descriptions of the incident of true, gives us a name of the athlete who doesn't show up on any websites as any sort of pro athlete like you'd think he would.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2015, 12:28:45 PM »

Anyone can post blogs on Times for Israel. I like them, better Haaretz, anyways.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2015, 12:34:55 PM »

You should try to compare versions of the incident in serious non-US international media.

Yeah, I don't really trust them either. Weren't they the god-awful site that let some random stupid American with no ties to the conflict make a post about genocide that fed the anti-Israel media for months?

I have not a clue about what is that site. I tend to disrespect stupid Americans with no ties to the conflict that root for Israel, so... Oth, it's difficult to be impartial if you have ties to Israel or Palestine, isn't it? Then you have correspondents whom cover the conflict on the ground for international media; they have a hard time in keeping the distance from the things that they are witnessing, because they are humans after all.

I can't find any real sources, though.

That's not strange.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2015, 12:41:08 PM »

Anyone can post blogs on Times for Israel. I like them, better Haaretz, anyways.

That's what I thought. It was a user-submitted blog that got them tons of flak - deservedly, given the content, but most ignored that there is no review/approval on this site.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2015, 10:56:38 PM »

To keep everyone happy: https://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Middle-East/2015/May-23/299030-israel-briefly-detains-traveling-palestine-player.ashx

It wasn't a widely reported incident, as neither Haaretz nor 972 covered it.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2015, 11:23:03 PM »

Thanks. So even a Lebanon paper states it was a brief delay for a single player due to a red flag in his background. That seems like something that would happen in virtually any country.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2015, 11:25:53 PM »

Thanks. So even a Lebanon paper states it was a brief delay for a single player due to a red flag in his background. That seems like something that would happen in virtually any country.
No.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2015, 11:29:49 PM »

No.

A guy who recently did jail time for serving as a courier to a terror group that killed hundreds of citizens wouldn't experience a brief delay at the border in the US?
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2015, 11:36:14 PM »

As he was neither entering Israel nor leaving it, no he wouldn't be.

Actually, I'll amend my statement. It's reasonable to expect a certain sort of person playing on  FC TSK Simferopol to be detained any time he left Crimea for Ukraine. However I'm not sure that's a comparison you'd like very much.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies