LDS Church releases images of seer stone used by Joseph Smith.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:04:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  LDS Church releases images of seer stone used by Joseph Smith.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LDS Church releases images of seer stone used by Joseph Smith.  (Read 924 times)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 07, 2015, 07:20:44 PM »

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2802019-155/mormon-church-to-release-more-documents?fullpage=1

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Basically, this is the LDS Church's way of releasing potentially "weird" bits of Mormon history on their own terms, rather than have anti-Mormons "out" the information. And honestly, as a mostly believing Mormon, I don't really mind. The seer stone thing just isn't that big an issue to me.

Also, it seems to be a way to showcase mending bridges with the Community of Christ/RLDS leaders. However, the fact that they have a female Seventy (basically imagine a Catholic cardinal standing beside a female cardinal of a breakoff of the Catholic Church) standing alongside the Church Historian (a dude) is amusing to me.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 08:20:32 PM »

Well this is anti-climactic.

Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 11:52:16 PM »

Well, the anti/ex-Mormons think it's some big capitulation to them, but yeah, it's really kind of a "so we did that, now moving on" thing.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 02:22:37 AM »

I hardly see the point of a reconciliation with the Independence group, given that it has all but completely disavowed Mormonism. The fact that they call themselves the "Community of Christ" now in an attempt to sound like mainline Protestants says all that needs to be said. The LDS church would be best served by simply buying from the former RLDS whatever historical documents they have in their possession rather than trying to effect a meaningless reconciliation.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 12:47:39 PM »

I hardly see the point of a reconciliation with the Independence group, given that it has all but completely disavowed Mormonism. The fact that they call themselves the "Community of Christ" now in an attempt to sound like mainline Protestants says all that needs to be said. The LDS church would be best served by simply buying from the former RLDS whatever historical documents they have in their possession rather than trying to effect a meaningless reconciliation.

Well, I guess the LDS leadership feel that the Community of Christ are cousins, and that just buying the documents wouldn't work (from what I understand, the RLDS do try and keep on some parts of their Mormon history, even if they're abandoning everything else).

What's interesting is the effort at reconciliation here, while with groups inside the main LDS Church (Ordain Women, John Dehlin and his cronies), the LDS leadership seems more inclined to discipline or excommunicate.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 02:47:33 PM »

In any case, to my skeptical mind, the seer stone or even the golden plates are not particularly problematic. God can, God has, and God will use the means that will reach the audience of the day with the message of the Way. The means by which it is claimed the Book of Mormon came to be translated into English certainly fit the expectations of early 19th century Americans. My problem with the Book of Mormon is entirely due to its purported history.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 08:28:06 PM »

In any case, to my skeptical mind, the seer stone or even the golden plates are not particularly problematic. God can, God has, and God will use the means that will reach the audience of the day with the message of the Way. The means by which it is claimed the Book of Mormon came to be translated into English certainly fit the expectations of early 19th century Americans. My problem with the Book of Mormon is entirely due to its purported history.

It's not the stone that's problematic, it's that people would believe the bolded to begin with that's the issue.

The whole thing is just so silly it's obvious that the only reason people even believe in it is if they were raised that way (social conditioning) or hit rock bottom and were desperate for something to believe in (positive delusion).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies