did Jesus go to Jerusalem intending to die? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:36:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  did Jesus go to Jerusalem intending to die? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: did Jesus go to Jerusalem intending to die?
yes

yes, and it's impossible to be a Christian without believing so

no

other (explain)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: did Jesus go to Jerusalem intending to die?  (Read 4038 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: May 23, 2015, 01:47:40 AM »

did Jesus go to Jerusalem intending to die?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 06:37:21 PM »

If Jesus is God, then to conform to the Christian view of God would be to know all and to be perfect.

do you not make a distinction between Jesus of Nazareth the historical person and Jesus the risen Christ?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 07:09:42 PM »

If Jesus is God, then to conform to the Christian view of God would be to know all and to be perfect.

do you not make a distinction between Jesus of Nazareth the historical person and Jesus the risen Christ?

Could you elaborate? It sounds like you are going down Spong's "The disciples believed super hard" route, but I'm not sure.

I'm not going anywhere, I don't even know what that is.  the Gospels are themselves divided on this.  whether Jesus experienced anxiety and didn't want to go to Jerusalem, and at the behest of the Father he relented, or if he took it in stride. 

then there's the semi-separate question of what he wanted to do there.  did he think he'd go to the Temple, preach, and rally enough followers to effect a Jewish revolution, or at least, to gain a bunch of new followers?  or did he go intending to raise enough of a ruckus that he would be executed?  (it seems as if the penal substitution option would require Jesus to have known he was going to die).
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 07:20:35 PM »

This is the Religion board, not the History board. As such, I assumed you asked this question in a religious context, not a historical context. Aside from that, I'm not sure what to say to your question. Are you implying one should make a significant distinction between Jesus before and after His death? If so, on what basis?

the Gospels (save Mark) and Acts 1 note the significant difference between his 'Resurrection body' and a normal human body.  I believe in John he's able to cross through walls and whatnot.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 03:22:16 PM »

This is the Religion board, not the History board. As such, I assumed you asked this question in a religious context, not a historical context. Aside from that, I'm not sure what to say to your question. Are you implying one should make a significant distinction between Jesus before and after His death? If so, on what basis?

the Gospels (save Mark) and Acts 1 note the significant difference between his 'Resurrection body' and a normal human body.  I believe in John he's able to cross through walls and whatnot.

And pre-resurrection he walked on water.

ok.  what's your point, that the pre-Paschal Jesus performed miracles (too)?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 01:49:06 AM »

I found this 1976 quote from thorn-in-the-side Catholic theologian Hans Kung that seems to point to "no", and thus against theological orthodoxy:

Jesus did not look for suffering, it was forced on him.  Anyone who indulges in self-torture, plainly longing for pain and suffering or even inflicting these on himself, is not truly following the Cross of Jesus.

...perhaps a slight swing at Lither's self-flaggelation in that second sentence,
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies