Justice System Reform Bill 2 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:38:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Justice System Reform Bill 2 2015
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Justice System Reform Bill 2 2015  (Read 2518 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2015, 05:03:22 PM »

Could the Senator provide a justification before I make a call on this amendment
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2015, 05:56:01 PM »

I'm not sure that we want to be incentivize lawyers to pursue specific legal outcomes for their clients. Lawyers should work to get the best legal outcome possible for their clients, and many times that includes plea bargains.

Basically what Lief said earlier. While you have made the point (which I agree with) that the sheer scale of plea deals is not necessarily the advocate doing the best for the client, I don't think it's something quantifiable into the law.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2015, 06:09:47 PM »

I'm not sure that we want to be incentivize lawyers to pursue specific legal outcomes for their clients. Lawyers should work to get the best legal outcome possible for their clients, and many times that includes plea bargains.

Basically what Lief said earlier. While you have made the point (which I agree with) that the sheer scale of plea deals is not necessarily the advocate doing the best for the client, I don't think it's something quantifiable into the law.

Friendly.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2015, 04:13:35 AM »

Would Senator Polnut be open to an amendment that tries to get back his intention? I like the idea of giving an incentive, even more so for law firms to basically get the best offer for their clients. Perhaps a further tax credit or educational support for inner city law firms that help the poorest in society?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2015, 04:15:25 AM »

Would Senator Polnut be open to an amendment that tries to get back his intention? I like the idea of giving an incentive, even more so for law firms to basically get the best offer for their clients. Perhaps a further tax credit or educational support for inner city law firms that help the poorest in society?

I'm open, but as Lief does correctly point out, there is a danger of quantifying the 'best interests' for clients, when each situation is different.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2015, 08:47:14 AM »

Senators have 36 hours to object to Talleyrand's proposed amendment.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2015, 09:48:14 AM »

With no objections, the amendment has been adopted.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2015, 10:25:36 PM »

The point about quantifying is true, though needless to say there are many issues concerning whether or not proper representation is being given when the plea bargaining rate is so high.

The quality of the lawyer (Wink) and the caseload I would imagine are your biggest factors. This is why I made a point that discouraging the highest performers in college from going into the legal profession would be detrimental. That said we run into the problem of them going into the big flight law firms and churning out millions representing Micro$s**t and BoFA.

In education there have been programs to get high performers in college to go into teaching and then go to the worst performing schools. I think the same is needed this environment. A mechanism or a sub-program that rewards those high performers for going into law and then providing this kind of aid, and also another that encourages top flight attorneys to provide similar assistance so you can get experience on the ground as well.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2015, 02:19:33 AM »

So what is the story with this now?

Does anyone have any recommendations on how best to strike a balance between access and quality when it comes to this field and particuarly as it relates to defending poorer clients who usually get bad or no representation at all?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2015, 02:04:53 PM »

So what is the story with this now?

Does anyone have any recommendations on how best to strike a balance between access and quality when it comes to this field and particuarly as it relates to defending poorer clients who usually get bad or no representation at all?

I'd be happy to virtually redraft the bill to make it A) Aimed at young gradutes B) Ensuring equal access to the law.

It seems like we're holding up the senate here Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2015, 01:03:40 AM »

Lets see, I counted about four other bills that were langushing just as bad, so probably not. But indeed, we should proceed with all haste here.

I think our ultimate goal here is equality before the law, the underpinning of any democracy. Equal access to quality representation is a critical aspect of obtaining that.

That said I am not saying a tax credit is a bad incentive, I just think that on its own it will fall short in getting the legal representation where it is needed and you need a program to target high performing grads and experienced legal professionals in that direction. That program could be anywhere from a voluntary organization to that of say an organization that pays or subsidizes their fee to compenstate for the lower reimburesment in defense law, should they take these cases.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2015, 01:39:50 AM »

Lets see, I counted about four other bills that were langushing just as bad, so probably not. But indeed, we should proceed with all haste here.

I think our ultimate goal here is equality before the law, the underpinning of any democracy. Equal access to quality representation is a critical aspect of obtaining that.

That said I am not saying a tax credit is a bad incentive, I just think that on its own it will fall short in getting the legal representation where it is needed and you need a program to target high performing grads and experienced legal professionals in that direction. That program could be anywhere from a voluntary organization to that of say an organization that pays or subsidizes their fee to compenstate for the lower reimburesment in defense law, should they take these cases.

Phrased it badly, I meant that apart from Talleyrand we seem to be the only active people.

I think we need something more than a tax credit, because it just seems like something we'd give out  hoping it would make a difference, without any tracking or progress
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2015, 03:20:40 AM »

I have been tied up with RL stuff for longer than planned. I'll be back on board tomorrow.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2015, 03:11:45 PM »
« Edited: June 25, 2015, 05:31:38 PM by Senator Blair »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

[/quote]
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2015, 07:00:03 PM »

[/quote]

I'm comfortable with this.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2015, 07:05:40 PM »

Senators have 24 hours to object to that amendment.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2015, 10:18:14 AM »

The amendment has been adopted.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2015, 10:31:40 AM »

wicked, I've left some funding out to introduce some sort of scholarship/support scheme to get top lawyers into inner city law firms that are community based rather than big corporate firms
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2015, 02:21:27 AM »

I think this is the best approach we are going to get for this matter and the overall structure looks rather solid to me. That said there is a euro symbol in clause 2b, that probably should be removed. Tongue
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2015, 05:32:26 PM »

I think this is the best approach we are going to get for this matter and the overall structure looks rather solid to me. That said there is a euro symbol in clause 2b, that probably should be removed. Tongue

Fixed, I blame Atlasia for causing me to type everything into dollars now without a second thought.

I'll hammer out the funding for training/scholarships tomorrow when I'm not as tired
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2015, 01:56:29 AM »

Dang Ferreners ftw. Tongue Wink
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2015, 07:24:54 AM »

New amendment to the bill, happy to take suggestions or removals

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2015, 02:46:29 PM »

I know the vote was just held...but I would amend the income ceiling to a certain percentage over the poverty line...like 150%.  A family of four living on $36,000/year where the breadwinner stands accused would be absolutely effed.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2015, 12:31:11 PM »

I know the vote was just held...but I would amend the income ceiling to a certain percentage over the poverty line...like 150%.  A family of four living on $36,000/year where the breadwinner stands accused would be absolutely effed.

Oh yeah much better-then we can tie it to inflation. I'll offer an amendment
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2015, 12:47:37 PM »

New amendment to the bill, happy to take suggestions or removals

Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies