Which journalist would you nominate as a 'dick'. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:11:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Which journalist would you nominate as a 'dick'. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which journalist would you nominate as a 'dick'.  (Read 3841 times)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« on: May 24, 2015, 01:33:30 AM »
« edited: May 24, 2015, 01:40:57 AM by Adam T »

I'm not a big fan of the term 'dick' but it comes from Jon Stewart's smackdown of Tucker Carlson:
" After Carlson told Stewart "I think you're more fun on your show", Stewart replied by saying: "You know what's interesting though? You're as big a dick on your show as you are on any show."

Stewart was referring to:
1.Partisan columnists using half truths or worse (though rarely outright lies, not intentionally anyway) to smear their opponents.
2.Supposedly non partisan journalists playing up sensationalist mostly meaningless stories rather than news that actually matters to people, or playing up sensationalist angles on stories where a more thoughtful analysis would be helpful.

To start I nominate
1.Washington Post hack Michael Gerson for the first definition.
2.No American will have heard of him but, Vancouver Province columnist (and occasional CKNW radio show host) sleaze ball Michael Smyth for the second definition.

For the completely opposite 'non dick' award (I can come up with a couple better names, but they'd probably be even less acceptable here than 'dick' probably is) I nominate another person no American will have heard of, Vancouver Sun Political columnist Vaughn Palmer.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 02:27:52 PM »

We're conflating commentators and journalists. Then again, so has society as a whole.

I actually made a clear distinction between the two in my original post.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies