Would you have pardoned Nixon for Watergate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:33:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Would you have pardoned Nixon for Watergate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: answer
Yes (R)

Yes (D)

Yes (l/O)

No (D)

No (R)

No (l/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Would you have pardoned Nixon for Watergate?  (Read 1969 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 24, 2015, 01:54:35 AM »

No.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 02:16:04 AM »

I voted no, but I can sympathize with Ford's position that it only would have hurt the country, but then again, Nixon's actions hurt the country much more.
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 03:53:30 AM »

Obviously not, the man was a crook and should have faced jail time. Ford's pardon effectively proved Nixon right in saying "when the President does it, it's not illegal".
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 03:59:14 AM »

Of course not, and I would have let Nixon's sabotaging of the peace talks be public information then rather than waiting another 40 years.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 04:04:39 AM »

I think in the end, it was much worse for Nixon's legacy that he was pardoned. If not I think the American public would have tired of the whole thing and begun seeing it as a witch hunt. Instead it was ended early, before people had truly tired of the whole thing and it looked like Nixon got away with it.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 05:21:36 AM »

No
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 11:52:31 AM »

Yes. The country needed to move on and heal.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 12:10:19 PM »

no
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 12:13:32 PM »

Yup.
Dazey
Rookie
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 12:33:56 PM »

Yes.
If Ford hadn't pardoned Nixon, the Watergate scandal would've continued to engulf the country/news media, to the extent that it would've hurt much more pressing issues, like the economy for instance. In Ford's first month, before the pardon, the majority of the questions asked by pundits and press people was about the fate of Richard Nixon, not about the more important problems of inflation or the energy crisis.

Not only that, but to see a President, who was once a grand, beloved figure, hauled off to prison, would've done a major blow to our sense of national morale and our faith in this system of government.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 12:53:11 PM »

Yes.
If Ford hadn't pardoned Nixon, the Watergate scandal would've continued to engulf the country/news media, to the extent that it would've hurt much more pressing issues, like the economy for instance. In Ford's first month, before the pardon, the majority of the questions asked by pundits and press people was about the fate of Richard Nixon, not about the more important problems of inflation or the energy crisis.

Not only that, but to see a President, who was once a grand, beloved figure, hauled off to prison, would've done a major blow to our sense of national morale and our faith in this system of government.

Clearly, you don't know much about Nixon or his relationship with the public. Nixon was never grand and he was certainly not beloved by anybody.
Samantha
totheleft
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -4.43

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 01:02:15 PM »

No. I don't buy that America was too emotionally fragile to watch a crooked President be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 02:08:27 PM »

No. I don't buy that America was too emotionally fragile to watch a crooked President be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 03:46:57 PM »

No. The president is not above the rule of law.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 03:57:57 PM »

Absolutely not, and especially not with hindsight. We needed to prove actions had consequences, and a Nixon trial (even if he was acquitted) would have sent a loud message indeed. Imprisoning Nixon would probably have been the best thing that could ever happen in this country.

I think in the end, it was much worse for Nixon's legacy that he was pardoned. If not I think the American public would have tired of the whole thing and begun seeing it as a witch hunt. Instead it was ended early, before people had truly tired of the whole thing and it looked like Nixon got away with it.

Except that the longer it went on, the more unpopular Nixon became. And people were already expressing fatigue with it by August 1974, yet few wanted Nixon off the hook nonetheless.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2015, 04:06:57 PM »

No, and doing so betrayed all standards of the office.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2015, 04:45:38 PM »

No president is above the law, as previous commenters have stated and pardoning a president to end "a national nightmare" is essentially creating a precedent that you can get away with the crimes you commit while holding the office.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2015, 04:59:38 PM »

Of course.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2015, 05:09:54 PM »

Yes (not a hack).  Although what he did was wrong, it would have been far more damaging to have a president go to prison than to have him pardoned.  I agree with the critics that the president shouldn't be above the law, but Ford made the right decision because Americans' confidence in their government was at stake.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2015, 11:34:33 PM »

ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2015, 11:52:10 PM »

Yes (not a hack).  Although what he did was wrong, it would have been far more damaging to have a president go to prison than to have him pardoned.  I agree with the critics that the president shouldn't be above the law, but Ford made the right decision because Americans' confidence in their government was at stake.

Then they shouldn't be above the law. Period.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2015, 11:59:39 PM »

The pardon process really needs to be reined in. I mean Bill Clinton pardoned his brother.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2015, 12:19:07 AM »

He needed to be tried and convicted, but certainly would have been open to pardoning him after that.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2015, 12:52:37 AM »

Absolutely not, and especially not with hindsight. We needed to prove actions had consequences, and a Nixon trial (even if he was acquitted) would have sent a loud message indeed. Imprisoning Nixon would probably have been the best thing that could ever happen in this country.

Except that the longer it went on, the more unpopular Nixon became. And people were already expressing fatigue with it by August 1974, yet few wanted Nixon off the hook nonetheless.

I agree completely with tara gilesbie, and additionally, I feel like the sole reason Reagan got away with Iran-Contra was because Nixon was pardoned for Watergate. The only lesson learned was not to be caught. Nobody should be above the law, and presidents should be more in fear of the law.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2015, 02:19:28 PM »

Yes (not a hack).  Although what he did was wrong, it would have been far more damaging to have a president go to prison than to have him pardoned.  I agree with the critics that the president shouldn't be above the law, but Ford made the right decision because Americans' confidence in their government was at stake.
Americans probably shouldn't have been particularly confident in their government when the President just broke the law he's sworn to uphold
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies