Your 5 favorite counties in your state (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:01:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Your 5 favorite counties in your state (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Your 5 favorite counties in your state  (Read 3223 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« on: May 25, 2015, 08:39:21 PM »

1. Peoria (home)
2. Cook (ONLY Chicago, the suburbs are meh)
3. Champaign (who hasn't had fun partying in Champaign?)
4. DuPage (suburban Republicans aren't scary to me, and I don't think they're evil)
5. Lake
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2021, 11:36:25 AM »

Won’t look at what I did last time in order to not be influenced.  Also, politics and things that don’t affect me on a daily basis aren’t being considered … it’s purely a ranking of fondness I have for each, usually tied to good memories I’ve made with family and friends:

1. Cook, IL.  My current home and home to the best city (IMHO, of course) in the USA.  Enough said!

2. Peoria, IL.  My birthplace and somewhere I consider to be very underrated.  It has its problems, of course, but I love it for all that it is.  Relatively scenic place for Central Illinois, too, and I think that adds to its charm for me.

3. Champaign, IL.  I love this community and always have a great time visiting, whether it’s for an Illini game or when we used to stop here en route from Iowa City to Indianapolis.  The growth/improvement here since like 2014 has been astonishing, given state trends.

4. Jo Daviess, IL.  Galena holds a special place in my heart from when I was a kid.  Granted, it’s a bit more underwhelming as an adult, but I still like it.

5. Henry, IL.  Yeah, what can I say?  My parents grew up in Kewanee, and much of my extended family still lives there.  It’s a struggling town with a gutted downtown area that has lost thousands in population since my parents were my age … but when you have a sentimental attachment, you can see the “bones” and potential for what it once was.  The outskirts are surprisingly wooded/scenic, and there are a couple cool parks and such that I have fond memories of.  It kind of reminds me of a down-on-its-luck Bedford Falls, lol.  I’m foolishly optimistic for a day in the distant future where working remotely gives rise to a mini resurgence for places like this due to families wanting a small town vibe/cost of living and no longer requiring a physical job to be there.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies