Was Bill Clinton the best President since Ike?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:42:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Was Bill Clinton the best President since Ike?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Was Bill Clinton the best President since Ike?
Yes (D)

Yes (R)

Yes (I)

No (D)

No (R)

No (I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Was Bill Clinton the best President since Ike?  (Read 4678 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2015, 01:44:47 AM »

Waco, NAFTA, WTO, gun control, welfare "reform" (i.e., cuts), telecommunications deregulation, repeal of Glass-Stegall, thoroughly unconstitutional "Anti-Terrorism Act," "Commodity Futures Modernization Act." Caved on gays in the military, caved on a federal jobs program, watered down an already weak promise on health care. Cost his party Congress after almost sixty years of dominance with little interruption.

Then we get to the worst of Clinton; bombed Somalia, bombed Iraq, bombed Sudan, bombed Afghanistan, and bombed Yugoslavia. None of these "interventions" were needed, and all ruined the chance of peace after the Cold War.

You left out DMCA and the Mickey Mouse copyright extension.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2015, 02:03:46 AM »

No, Carter was of course. Clinton was a failure of a man.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2015, 04:45:27 AM »

Kennedy, Obama and Reagan were/are all far better than Clinton's miserable Presidency. It's not clear to me what substantial difference there is between Carter's disastrous term in office and Clinton's other than Clinton managing to be re-elected. More scandals?

how was Clinton presidency miserbale

Serb kids died.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2015, 05:14:08 AM »

Kennedy, Obama and Reagan were/are all far better than Clinton's miserable Presidency. It's not clear to me what substantial difference there is between Carter's disastrous term in office and Clinton's other than Clinton managing to be re-elected. More scandals?

how was Clinton presidency miserbale

You need to understand that people have viewpoints and opinions that they get from outside textbooks.
Dazey
Rookie
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2015, 05:26:52 AM »

I honestly don't give a damn if Serbs died. America comes first to me. That said, this is Clinton's record:

Average economic growth of 4.0% per year, compared to average growth of 2.8% during the previous years. The economy grew for 116 consecutive months, the most in history.

Creation of more than 22.5 million jobs—the most jobs ever created under a single administration, and more than were created in the previous 12 years. Of the total new jobs, 20.7 million, or 92%, were in the private sector.

Economic gains spurred an increase in family incomes for all Americans. Since 1993, real median family income increased by $6,338, from $42,612 in 1993 to $48,950 in 1999 (in 1999 dollars).

Overall unemployment dropped to the lowest level in more than 30 years, down from 6.9% in 1993 to just 4.0% in January 2001. The unemployment rate was below 5% for 40 consecutive months.

Unemployment for African Americans fell from 14.2% in 1992 to 7.3% in 2000, the lowest rate on record. Unemployment for Hispanics fell from 11.8% in October 1992 to 5.0% in 2000, also the lowest rate on record.

Inflation dropped to its lowest rate since the Kennedy Administration, averaging 2.5%, and fell from 4.7% during the previous administration.

The homeownership rate reached 67.7% near the end of the Clinton administration, the highest rate on record. In contrast, the homeownership rate fell from 65.6% in the first quarter of 1981 to 63.7% in the first quarter of 1993.

The poverty rate also declined from 15.1% in 1993 to 11.8% in 1999, the largest six-year drop in poverty in nearly 30 years. This left 7 million fewer people in poverty than there were in 1993.[88]
The surplus in fiscal year 2000 was $237 billion—the third consecutive surplus and the largest surplus ever.

Clinton worked with the Republican-led Congress to enact welfare reform. As a result, welfare rolls dropped dramatically and were the lowest since 1969. Between January 1993 and September 1999, the number of welfare recipients dropped by 7.5 million (a 53% decline) to 6.6 million. In comparison, between 1981–1992, the number of welfare recipients increased by 2.5 million (a 22% increase) to 13.6 million people.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2015, 05:53:44 AM »

No; a contender for the worst, in fact.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2015, 06:02:48 AM »

I honestly don't give a damn if Serbs died. America comes first to me.

Sounds logical. Roll Eyes
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2015, 06:28:17 AM »

MUH ARBITRARY LINES ON A MAP
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2015, 09:33:51 AM »

Clinton sure was lucky his rule randomly coincided with an economic boom, so people can continue to metaphorically and literally fellate him.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2015, 10:09:08 AM »

No (R)
Dazey
Rookie
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2015, 11:33:20 AM »

Commie, there are things such as cultures, etc. Not just lines on a map. I care about my country - not someone else's. I know you as a Commie, you want to pretend countries, cultures, languages don't exist - you and your little Frankfurt School, America hating views - but no one will ever, ever accept Communism in this country.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2015, 12:33:29 PM »

Perhaps a good way to determine the Clinton years would be to look at the state of mind at the time of his election compared to the end of his presidency. Statistics below are from Erika Shaker's book "Great Expectations."

*In 1992, 16% of Americans believed non-whites should not be allowed to immigrate. By 2000, it was 25%

*34% of Americans believed a widely advertised product was probably good in 1992. In 2000, it was 45%.

*In 1992, 66% of Americans discussed local issues with other people. That number was 34% in 2000.

*36% of Americans believed that men should be heads of their household in 1992. In 2000, that number was 49%.

*The number of Americans who believed that violence is a normal part of life rose from 9% in 1992 to 31% in 2000.

*The number who believed that violence is an acceptable way to meet your goals rose from 14% in 1992 to 26% in 2000.

*In 1992, 72% of Americans considered defending the environment a priority. In 2000, 57% did.

*American's time spent watching television increased from 36% to 40% between 1992 and 2000.

*65% of Americans considered materialism a threat to society in 1992. In 2000, that number was 48%.

* In 2000 34% of Americans said they enjoyed showing foreigners that they're smarter and stronger, up from 27% in 1992.

Very bad psychological shift for eight supposedly blessed years.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2015, 01:12:05 PM »

Commie, there are things such as cultures, etc. Not just lines on a map. I care about my country - not someone else's. I know you as a Commie, you want to pretend countries, cultures, languages don't exist - you and your little Frankfurt School, America hating views - but no one will ever, ever accept Communism in this country.

Why should I be less empathetic towards Serbs or Iraqis just because they speak a different language and have different customs?
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2015, 02:14:53 PM »

I'm more interested in the fact that Dazey accused TNF of being 'Frankfurt School'. Clearly he either doesn't know much about the Frankfurt School or doesn't know much about TNF or both because that's hilarious. (On the other hand isn't the Frankfurt School the subject of some sort of right-wing conspiracy theory? Maybe it's in reference to that.)
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2015, 02:30:52 PM »

Sure, there are such things as cultures. But cultures are not independent or free floating. They are the result of hundreds of thousands of years of intermixing between different peoples, intermarriage between different peoples, and cultural exchanges in general. And they continue to evolve and develop on account of the dialectical processes that govern society at large. A good example of that is the very idea of 'white people', or the 'white race', an identity category you seem to hold dear for reasons I can't comprehend outside of what appears to be a victim mentality on your own part.

The idea of a 'white race' is a new concept that has only developed very recently in historic terms. As late as the 1920s, Southern Europeans weren't considered 'white' by mainstream U.S. public opinion, which helped to influence legislation like the Immigration Act of 1924 and other public policies which sought to exclude them. Fast forward to the 1960s, with the defeat of the left and class politics in general, and we have the construction of a 'white identity' that now includes those very groups excluded in the past, in direct opposition (as a result of, really) the rights revolution and the identity-based struggles therein. Thus the banner of 'white nationalism', the 'white race', and all attempts at a universal white identity are not anything other than an attempt to make sense of the world where the left and labor politics had lost and struggles for recognition on the grounds of identity succeeded. The idea of 'white people' itself has always existed for exclusionary purposes, but the idea of a universal 'whiteness' that you seem to subscribe to here is a very new one. So sure, there are such things as 'cultures', but they're not as static and unchanging as you, or the neo-Nazi scum of the Internet, or their 'left-wing' counterparts, the SJWs, would like to have us believe.

You say that you 'care about your country', but apparently you don't care enough about it to recognize that it was founded in the spirit of liberty, equality, and fraternity of all people, no matter if they have the stars and stripes on their porch, the Union Jack, the Russian flag, etc. The men and women who made this country a land of possibility, a new start, a refuge for the wretched of the Earth, didn't do so as an isolated group. They were part of a worldwide revolutionary tradition beginning with the Dutch Revolt and closing with the abolition of slavery by the heirs of the American Revolution in the 1860s. Thomas Paine famously said 'I have no country to fight for, for I am a citizen of the world', or something to that affect, and there's certainly good evidence to think that the other radicals of the revolutionary period (Thomas Jefferson in particular) were well aware of the fact that theirs was but a small part in a grander movement.

Caring about your country means recognizing that it is not infallible, and that it makes mistakes, and that its leaders are not flawless. Just shouting 'USA! USA! USA!' is mindless and makes you look like an idiot, and not without reason - because the inability to think critically about the problems that your country faces and has faced makes you one.

I don't pretend that countries and languages don't exist. I understand that they do, and as a communist, I want to do what can be done to hasten the overthrow of that system which divides men and women along borders, which denies them the fruit of their labor, and which condemns them to relentless toil, forever and ever. The nation-state is a walled off area for capital accumulation, and in that context, I oppose it. I obviously don't oppose the idea of separate languages or cultures and think that cultural diversity is worthwhile.

I don't hate America, I hate the politico-economic system that produces want and meaningless toil for the vast majority of the populace, while allowing a gilded few to enjoy pleasures that the rest of us can only dream of. In spite of my own tendency to get hyperbolic, I'll be frank and say I don't hate you or anyone else on this site with whom I have differing opinions, because I understand how opinions and ideologies are formulated within the context of society at large. That said, I do despise the system which makes young men hopeless and resentful enough to become the most vile kind of misanthrope, the 'white nationalist', the 'MRA', or whatever garbage you have floating through your head. You can talk about how proud you are to be white all day long, but that won't prevent you from being exploited at work by a small group of parasites that is happy to have you keep talking about how proud you are to be a white man - because it keeps your attention off of them.

I'm not even going to address the bit of cloaked anti-Semitism you have going on there (what, with references to the 'Frankfurt School' and all), but I will say that I agree with next to nothing of the Frankfurt School's sociopolitical analysis, which should be obvious to anyone who has read the varied critique of other left-wingers I post here fairly often. But you're new here (assuming you're a real person and not, say, DevotedDemocrat, whom you seem to be fairly close to in terms of views), so I'll give you a break on that.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2015, 02:34:16 PM »

Sure, there are such things as cultures. But cultures are not independent or free floating. They are the result of hundreds of thousands of years of intermixing between different peoples, intermarriage between different peoples, and cultural exchanges in general. And they continue to evolve and develop on account of the dialectical processes that govern society at large. A good example of that is the very idea of 'white people', or the 'white race', an identity category you seem to hold dear for reasons I can't comprehend outside of what appears to be a victim mentality on your own part.

The idea of a 'white race' is a new concept that has only developed very recently in historic terms. As late as the 1920s, Southern Europeans weren't considered 'white' by mainstream U.S. public opinion, which helped to influence legislation like the Immigration Act of 1924 and other public policies which sought to exclude them. Fast forward to the 1960s, with the defeat of the left and class politics in general, and we have the construction of a 'white identity' that now includes those very groups excluded in the past, in direct opposition (as a result of, really) the rights revolution and the identity-based struggles therein. Thus the banner of 'white nationalism', the 'white race', and all attempts at a universal white identity are not anything other than an attempt to make sense of the world where the left and labor politics had lost and struggles for recognition on the grounds of identity succeeded. The idea of 'white people' itself has always existed for exclusionary purposes, but the idea of a universal 'whiteness' that you seem to subscribe to here is a very new one. So sure, there are such things as 'cultures', but they're not as static and unchanging as you, or the neo-Nazi scum of the Internet, or their 'left-wing' counterparts, the SJWs, would like to have us believe.

You say that you 'care about your country', but apparently you don't care enough about it to recognize that it was founded in the spirit of liberty, equality, and fraternity of all people, no matter if they have the stars and stripes on their porch, the Union Jack, the Russian flag, etc. The men and women who made this country a land of possibility, a new start, a refuge for the wretched of the Earth, didn't do so as an isolated group. They were part of a worldwide revolutionary tradition beginning with the Dutch Revolt and closing with the abolition of slavery by the heirs of the American Revolution in the 1860s. Thomas Paine famously said 'I have no country to fight for, for I am a citizen of the world', or something to that affect, and there's certainly good evidence to think that the other radicals of the revolutionary period (Thomas Jefferson in particular) were well aware of the fact that theirs was but a small part in a grander movement.

Caring about your country means recognizing that it is not infallible, and that it makes mistakes, and that its leaders are not flawless. Just shouting 'USA! USA! USA!' is mindless and makes you look like an idiot, and not without reason - because the inability to think critically about the problems that your country faces and has faced makes you one.

I don't pretend that countries and languages don't exist. I understand that they do, and as a communist, I want to do what can be done to hasten the overthrow of that system which divides men and women along borders, which denies them the fruit of their labor, and which condemns them to relentless toil, forever and ever. The nation-state is a walled off area for capital accumulation, and in that context, I oppose it. I obviously don't oppose the idea of separate languages or cultures and think that cultural diversity is worthwhile.

I don't hate America, I hate the politico-economic system that produces want and meaningless toil for the vast majority of the populace, while allowing a gilded few to enjoy pleasures that the rest of us can only dream of. In spite of my own tendency to get hyperbolic, I'll be frank and say I don't hate you or anyone else on this site with whom I have differing opinions, because I understand how opinions and ideologies are formulated within the context of society at large. That said, I do despise the system which makes young men hopeless and resentful enough to become the most vile kind of misanthrope, the 'white nationalist', the 'MRA', or whatever garbage you have floating through your head. You can talk about how proud you are to be white all day long, but that won't prevent you from being exploited at work by a small group of parasites that is happy to have you keep talking about how proud you are to be a white man - because it keeps your attention off of them.

I'm not even going to address the bit of cloaked anti-Semitism you have going on there (what, with references to the 'Frankfurt School' and all), but I will say that I agree with next to nothing of the Frankfurt School's sociopolitical analysis, which should be obvious to anyone who has read the varied critique of other left-wingers I post here fairly often. But you're new here (assuming you're a real person and not, say, DevotedDemocrat, whom you seem to be fairly close to in terms of views), so I'll give you a break on that.

stfu commie
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2015, 02:40:01 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2015, 02:41:42 PM by Snowguy716 »

Indeed.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2015, 02:43:14 PM »

Bill Clinton may be overrated by some, but he's underrated by those who think he's overrated.  He wasn't one of the greatest presidents, but he was pretty good compared to many recent presidents.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2015, 03:01:54 PM »

TNF, did you really have to post that in this thread? It has literally nothing to do with the topic.. come on now.

It most certainly does, if you bothered to read the post I was responding to. But you didn't, and now you wave the finger at someone else in a vain attempt to make yourself look like one of the 'cool kids', as is typical for you. Maybe you should try reading what others post before launching into your own comedic attempts to win some kind of popularity contest on this site.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2015, 03:16:04 PM »

TNF, did you really have to post that in this thread? It has literally nothing to do with the topic.. come on now.

It most certainly does, if you bothered to read the post I was responding to. But you didn't, and now you wave the finger at someone else in a vain attempt to make yourself look like one of the 'cool kids', as is typical for you. Maybe you should try reading what others post before launching into your own comedic attempts to win some kind of popularity contest on this site.

Commie, there are things such as popularity, etc. Not just posts in a thread. I care about my FF/HP rating - not someone else's. I know you as a Commie, you want to pretend popularity, Sulfur Mine entries, dank memes don't exist - you and your little Inks School, freedom-hating views - but no one will ever, ever accept personal attacks in this country.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2015, 06:38:13 PM »

Commie, there are things such as popularity, etc. Not just posts in a thread. I care about my FF/HP rating - not someone else's. I know you as a Commie, you want to pretend popularity, Sulfur Mine entries, dank memes don't exist - you and your little Inks School, freedom-hating views - but no one will ever, ever accept personal attacks in this country.

Communists never get it , they only say that was not real communism so we should give it another shot
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2015, 06:43:48 PM »

I know you hate the idea of people working hard to be successful and think cultures dont matter. Cultural values do matter as they teach people hard work, strive to be more successful then others, respect others, not having kids unless you are willing to take care of them properly.  Thats why I dont like the 1960s as it turned America away from these values . Of course you think Communism works and Ill tell you this it hasnt work.

India for example moved away from Socialism in the 1990s and it made the country far better, same with east germany.

But  Communists always insist of giving their version of system another try but I hope nobody ever gives it another try.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2015, 07:54:26 PM »

(On the other hand isn't the Frankfurt School the subject of some sort of right-wing conspiracy theory?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt_School#Conspiracy_theory

FWIW, the only time that I've heard this conspiracy peddled directly was on a weekly televangelist program that my father watches. Apparently, the host of said program has spoken at my house before.

My mother says that he's an anti-Semite.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2015, 08:37:31 PM »

I know you hate the idea of people working hard to be successful and think cultures dont matter. Cultural values do matter as they teach people hard work, strive to be more successful then others, respect others, not having kids unless you are willing to take care of them properly.  Thats why I dont like the 1960s as it turned America away from these values . Of course you think Communism works and Ill tell you this it hasnt work.

India for example moved away from Socialism in the 1990s and it made the country far better, same with east germany.

But  Communists always insist of giving their version of system another try but I hope nobody ever gives it another try.

Did you actually read TNF's post?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies