Least Favorite County in your state
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:04:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Least Favorite County in your state
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Least Favorite County in your state  (Read 1710 times)
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2015, 04:14:26 AM »
« edited: May 26, 2015, 04:33:05 AM by LeBron FitzGerald »

Scioto County, Ohio. Having visited there before, that place is an uninhabitable hellhole. Monroe, Pike and Jefferson counties are also pretty bad.
ill ind

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2015, 09:53:31 AM »

Calhoun is the one county in Illinois that never had a railroad line in it--several proposed but none ever built.  There's your one useless fact for the day.

There are numerous Illinois Counties I haven't been in yet, but the least favorite that Ive visited is probable something like Iriqouis becaous it is a square, no big towns, mostly farmland, and for the most part forgettable.

train111 
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2015, 10:11:24 AM »

There are still a lot of counties in Michigan I haven't visited yet, but most of them are at least tolerable.  Wayne County would have to be my first choice (Detroit is a mess), or possibly Genesee.
CountyTy90
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2015, 10:17:42 AM »

Hmm... this is a hard one. Illinois has numerous counties I don't really care for, but don't really hate. I guess it'd have to be Morgan County. I hate its shape and I once got lost in "downtown" Jacksonville, so there. But outside Chicago, county lines really don't matter... it's all corn and soybeans.

Oh I also hate the shape of Tazewell County too.

You clearly haven't been around your own state much if you think it's "all corn and soybeans," but I highly doubt it's worth it to argue about this with you.

Anyway, the objectively worst county in Illinois is Alexander.  That shouldn't even be debatable.  It's hell on Earth.

Nah nah I'm not one of those Upstaters who thinks there's nothing down there. I went to EIU, so I've lived downstate. And honestly, I prefer it to Chicagoland. But in general terms, it's mostly corn and soybeans. I went to Springfield a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I like Peoria. I've had some awesome times in Quincy. I love the Quad Cities. Galena is awesome. I think you read too much into what I meant.

Need I remind you, I grew up in a small farming town, so I'm not some suburbanite saying this. I've spent my fair share in rural Illinois.

And you didn't stop to visit? Wink

Anyway, there are still 10 of the 102 IL counties I haven't been in yet. Calhoun is the most northerly of those, but it's not on the way to any place, so one has to be intentional to visit it. The lack of an easy way to add it to my county list, makes it my current least favorite.

Didn't know you lived there?

I was at the capitol for the Exelon rally... did you hear about it? We were supposed to meet with legislators, but they were still in hearing bills.

I've been to Pike County, that's the closest I've been to Calhoun. I would imagine Calhoun County is beautiful in the fall though; it's apple and peach orchard country. You should really visit. If it's anything like Pike County, you'll enjoy it.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2015, 02:05:43 PM »

Hmm... this is a hard one. Illinois has numerous counties I don't really care for, but don't really hate. I guess it'd have to be Morgan County. I hate its shape and I once got lost in "downtown" Jacksonville, so there. But outside Chicago, county lines really don't matter... it's all corn and soybeans.

You clearly haven't been around your own state much if you think it's "all corn and soybeans," but I highly doubt it's worth it to argue about this with you.

Anyway, the objectively worst county in Illinois is Alexander.  That shouldn't even be debatable.  It's hell on Earth.

Nah nah I'm not one of those Upstaters who thinks there's nothing down there. I went to EIU, so I've lived downstate. And honestly, I prefer it to Chicagoland. But in general terms, it's mostly corn and soybeans. I went to Springfield a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I like Peoria. I've had some awesome times in Quincy. I love the Quad Cities. Galena is awesome. I think you read too much into what I meant.

Need I remind you, I grew up in a small farming town, so I'm not some suburbanite saying this. I've spent my fair share in rural Illinois.

Ah, my bad, haha.  And while there's a ton of both of those, the geography does not get enough credit, IMO.  Places like the Quad Cities and Peoria are in rather scenic river valleys, and Southern Illinois (specifically the Shawnee National Forest) is beautiful.
CountyTy90
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2015, 03:23:39 PM »

Ah, my bad, haha.  And while there's a ton of both of those, the geography does not get enough credit, IMO.  Places like the Quad Cities and Peoria are in rather scenic river valleys, and Southern Illinois (specifically the Shawnee National Forest) is beautiful.

Yeah I do like Illinois' smaller cities. I actually saw Wicked in Peoria and had dinner along the river and it was gorgeous. I've only been to deep southern Illinois once when I drove through to Florida, but it was crazy to see the changing landscapes along the whole state. I've always wanted to go to Garden of the Gods, so that's a def on my to do list.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2015, 03:47:54 PM »

I am not qualified to say, but the Bronx is a candidate.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2015, 10:15:00 PM »

Effingham must take the cake. Freakishly religious, the most loyally Republican of all, and infamous as a former "sundown town" area.

It belong in Mississippi, along with the similar-and-only-slightly-better counties bordering it.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2015, 11:40:48 PM »

I was at the capitol for the Exelon rally... did you hear about it? We were supposed to meet with legislators, but they were still in hearing bills.

I only live there part of the year. Do you work at one of the Exelon stations? I'm very familiar with their issues, and have toured the Dresden station.

As for meeting the legislators, you just have to let them know CountyTy90 is looking for them. I bet at least one would come off the floor or out of committee just for you. Smiley
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2015, 02:27:24 AM »

Kern County, CA.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2015, 03:32:38 AM »

City of London. Does that count?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2015, 08:16:37 AM »

Toronto, if it counts.  For historical counties, I'd say York (includes modern day Toronto and York Region)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2015, 06:50:33 PM »

Randolph, then Johnston
CountyTy90
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2015, 10:47:26 PM »

I only live there part of the year. Do you work at one of the Exelon stations? I'm very familiar with their issues, and have toured the Dresden station.

As for meeting the legislators, you just have to let them know CountyTy90 is looking for them. I bet at least one would come off the floor or out of committee just for you. Smiley

Yep I work at LaSalle Station just south of Seneca. We went for the Low Carbon Illinois rally. I had a really fun time. I just wish we could have met with our legislators. I was supposed to meet with Elgie Sims and Ann Williams, but I met their secretary and she was super cool and gave her my spiel.

Here's a picture of me at the rally. And just so everyone knows, it's a very bad angle of me...

Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2015, 05:10:02 PM »

Out of the ones in my area probably Yadkin. It's just a bland and boring place. It takes ages to get anywhere there because all the towns are small and spread out.

Caswell isn't nothing to sneeze about it. Guilfords iffy in spots but overall it's okay.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2015, 05:32:51 PM »

One of the empty eastern Washington counties. Garfield, Columbia, Ferry, Lincoln, etc.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2015, 05:38:58 PM »

Probably one of those empty counties that barely anyone lives in. Like King, for example.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2015, 10:38:51 PM »

At least Benton's populated and has actual stores you can shop at if you live in Walla Walla. I've seen some great sights on the Columbia around there. On the other hand, I can't think of a single redeeming quality about Lincoln County, WA. Wahkiakum County is super pointless, too.

Yeah, but I didn't feel like calling any of the empty counties "the worst" just because there's nothing in them. Garfield County is empty and pointless, but I bear no antipathy towards it.

I don't even dislike Eastern Washington that much. It sucks compared to Western Washington, but Spokane is an alright city, Leavenworth is cool, Pullman is fun, Walla Walla is quaint, and every time I drive through Yakima I at least get to see a bunch of cool military vehicles. Tri Cities is a nuclear plant and the blandest patch of suburbia.

On point with all assessments.
Samantha
totheleft
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -4.43

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2015, 01:01:03 AM »

Texas has 254 counties, and all but about 10 of them are horrible places. Williamson might be the worse—it's a very conservative county that borders Travis County, cops there like to stalk the county line and harass liberal Austinites. Close runner ups are Collin (Plano) and Montgomery (The Woodlands), mostly for their wealthy stepford cultures.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2015, 01:03:27 AM »

Shawnee - not a huge fan of our capital. Not many attractions, the downtown area isn't good, and there are frequently construction issues.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies