Non-Christian President
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:54:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Non-Christian President
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Non-Christian President  (Read 12467 times)
whiplash
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 26, 2015, 03:48:29 AM »

Would it ever be possible for a non-Christian candidate (atheist, agnostic, Hebrew being the most prominent options) to become the president of the United States? Judging by historical data the chances for that are pretty low, at least now.
I am wondering if our attitude toward candidates is predetermined by their religious affiliation insofar as we are not ready as a society to support people of different faiths?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 03:51:33 AM »

A Jewish President would have some chance now, but anyone else would be at a great disadvantage thanks to discrimination.
whiplash
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 03:58:20 AM »

A Jewish President would have some chance now, but anyone else would be at a great disadvantage thanks to discrimination.

What about an openly atheist candidate? I guess his chances are still high enough.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 04:15:10 AM »

What about an openly atheist candidate? I guess his chances are still high enough.

Nope.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/155285/atheists-muslims-bias-presidential-candidates.aspx
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 05:08:28 AM »

meanwhile across America churchgoers wonder if a "real" Christian could ever be elected president
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 05:58:14 AM »

meanwhile across America churchgoers wonder if a "real" Christian could ever be elected president

tsk tsk, Carter went from being born again to believing in universal salvation.  I think George W. Bush might qualify though?
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 06:04:15 AM »

Soon on Atlas we'll be talking about when the first gay ex-Muslim radical atheist will be elected to the state legislature in Wyoming. It will happen when it will happen, now stop talking about it, Jesus Christ!
CountryClassSF

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 09:30:00 AM »

Our country is being run by hostile anti-Christian secularists already.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 09:31:18 AM »

When will America be ready for its first nudist President, who eschews clothing and lives as nature intended?
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 09:39:35 AM »

Your ideology is destroying Christianity.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 10:07:43 AM »

We've had a few Unitarian presidents, which are not Christians today but were at the time.

There's also the long argument of Thomas Jefferson being an atheist or not.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 10:10:25 AM »

tsk tsk, Carter went from being born again to believing in universal salvation.  I think George W. Bush might qualify though?
Obama was raised in an Atheist household and was born again in his latter teen years or early college years I believe.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 01:17:34 PM »

I think there's been at least some quotes of Bush indicating he also at least partially universalist views now.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 01:37:00 PM »

A Jewish President would be possible now.  I doubt the US is ready for a Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, or Atheist President yet.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 02:07:54 PM »

The next Non-Christian President will probably be Jewish.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 02:13:29 PM »

TOTALLY.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 03:31:58 PM »

Probably. I could see a (Western, Americanized) Buddhist president eventually though.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2015, 04:37:26 PM »

Jewish is certainly possible, but some of these creeds/faiths do not have enough numbers to say that one is more likely than another. I do think we're rapidly approaching a time, though, when a non-practicing person could get elected. Not an atheist/agnostic per se, but indifferent to matters of faith and church. That would be a pretty big step, IMO.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 05:52:22 PM »

Probably. I could see a (Western, Americanized) Buddhist president eventually though.

I think Sen. Mazie Hirono is a Buddhist
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2015, 09:28:40 PM »

When will America be ready for its first nudist President, who eschews clothing and lives as nature intended?

Endorsed.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2015, 09:44:51 PM »

In view of the success of Jews in American politics, a Jewish President is highly likely.

Of course, a Mormon, whom many consider non-Christian because of the Book of Mormon that many Christians consider heretical, got the Republican nomination for President and seemed at times to have a chance to get elected. 
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2015, 10:10:37 PM »

In view of the success of Jews in American politics, a Jewish President is highly likely.

Of course, a Mormon, whom many consider non-Christian because of the Book of Mormon that many Christians consider heretical, got the Republican nomination for President and seemed at times to have a chance to get elected. 

Yeah, but Mormons see themselves as Christian. And the Book of Mormon literally has "another Testament of Jesus Christ" on it. So if the religious right think that Mormons aren't Christian, they can stuff it.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2015, 10:32:03 PM »

I think there's been at least some quotes of Bush indicating he also at least partially universalist views now.

Really?  That's incredible.

It's pretty clear that Obama holds universalist views, speaking of the different "paths" people take to get in tune with their spirituality.  Also not born again talk.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2015, 10:43:10 PM »

Really?  That's incredible.

It's pretty clear that Obama holds universalist views, speaking of the different "paths" people take to get in tune with their spirituality.  Also not born again talk.

Not the best source but here: http://www.wnd.com/2007/10/43906/
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2015, 11:11:02 PM »

Obama was raised in an Atheist household and was born again in his latter teen years or early college years I believe.

My remark was a statement about the beliefs of Christians in America towards former presidents, not mine. Even Evangelicals who considered Bush one of their own distanced themselves from him eventually. And to get one of them to admit Carter's presidency was that of an honorable man of God? Good luck. And Obama? Hahaha
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies