Non-Christian President
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:50:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Non-Christian President
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Non-Christian President  (Read 12471 times)
Dazey
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2015, 12:08:40 AM »

Nixon was a universalist:

"We pray perhaps to different gods -- but really the same God in a sense"
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2015, 01:47:18 AM »

Technically, wasn't he a Quaker?
Dazey
Rookie
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2015, 02:44:45 AM »

Technically, wasn't he a Quaker?

By birth, yes. But he didn't seem to have any deeply held religious belief besides what he said. He might've been something of a modern Deist, in that he believed in a supreme being but nothing specific. I mean, that remark, for 1974 and coming from a guy born in 1913 and raised by religious Quakers, is pretty open-minded and universalist in spirit. That we pray to different Gods, but really it's all the same. Pretty laid back compared to his later GOP successors in that moment.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2015, 06:55:16 AM »

Taft wrote once that he "[did] not believe in the divinity of CHRIST."
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2015, 07:48:24 AM »

In view of the success of Jews in American politics, a Jewish President is highly likely.

Of course, a Mormon, whom many consider non-Christian because of the Book of Mormon that many Christians consider heretical, got the Republican nomination for President and seemed at times to have a chance to get elected. 

Yeah, but Mormons see themselves as Christian. And the Book of Mormon literally has "another Testament of Jesus Christ" on it. So if the religious right think that Mormons aren't Christian, they can stuff it.

As a liberal, I can say with full confidence that the Religious Right can 'stuff it' when it seeks to determine who is a Christian and who isn't based upon political beliefs, let alone establish a political order in which people whose heritage is in any way different lack validity.

Much about contemporary American life and American economic reality is depraved, and I would challenge anyone claiming to be a Christian to test his political and social beliefs against the Sermon on the Mount. That especially includes those who say that we are to give everything to the rich so that we can be saved.     
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2015, 11:05:32 AM »

Would it ever be possible for a non-Christian candidate (atheist, agnostic, Hebrew being the most prominent options) to become the president of the United States? Judging by historical data the chances for that are pretty low, at least now.
I am wondering if our attitude toward candidates is predetermined by their religious affiliation insofar as we are not ready as a society to support people of different faiths?

We have a non-practicing CINO now, so what's the big diff?
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2015, 01:44:25 PM »

I would not be surprised if 10 years from now President Obama in an interview says he is atheist or agnostic.
Blacky
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2015, 10:36:53 AM »

I think it's a dream that would come true a hundred years from now, maybe more.

The next Non-Christian President will probably be Jewish.
And how many Christians would vote for him? Christians would rather vote for agnostic candidate.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2015, 10:46:12 AM »

I would not be surprised if 10 years from now President Obama in an interview says he is atheist or agnostic.

Why wait? Farewell address to the nation, say January 18, 2017, seems as good a time as any. 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2015, 10:46:55 AM »

I think it's a dream that would come true a hundred years from now, maybe more.

And how many Christians would vote for him? Christians would rather vote for agnostic candidate.

Actual evidence is our friend. So far, your posts seem to have next to no nexus with any actual evidence in my opinion.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2015, 10:49:49 AM »

Although it is almost certain that various Presidents were non-practicing, deistic or even atheistic in private; all of them so far have come from Christian traditions. Even Obama's early Islamic influences stem from that Abrahamic tradition; as would a hypothetical Jewish president.

ive never really understood this assumption that Obama is an atheist. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't (it seems to stem from the slightly elitist assumption that smart people cannot be religious) but he carries himself in the Christian tradition. Even if he was an atheist, he wouldn't stop being a Christian somehow.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2015, 11:28:37 AM »

Although it is almost certain that various Presidents were non-practicing, deistic or even atheistic in private; all of them so far have come from Christian traditions. Even Obama's early Islamic influences stem from that Abrahamic tradition; as would a hypothetical Jewish president.

ive never really understood this assumption that Obama is an atheist. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't (it seems to stem from the slightly elitist assumption that smart people cannot be religious) but he carries himself in the Christian tradition. Even if he was an atheist, he wouldn't stop being a Christian somehow.

I don't think he's secretly an atheist either. Watch his Charleston funeral speech and spontaneous Amazing Grace.  That didn't look at all contrived.  But it's obvious he doesn't take very many things in the Bible literally.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2015, 11:59:31 AM »

Bernie Sanders. Well, he doesn't really have a chance.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2015, 12:02:25 PM »

I don't think he's secretly an atheist either. Watch his Charleston funeral speech and spontaneous Amazing Grace.  That didn't look at all contrived.  But it's obvious he doesn't take very many things in the Bible literally.

Well that's basically what I'm saying. Even if he doesn't believe in God, he's obviously a Christian.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2015, 12:51:25 PM »

We've had a few Unitarian presidents, which are not Christians today but were at the time.

There's also the long argument of Thomas Jefferson being an atheist or not.

I thought it was accepted that he was a deist.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2015, 03:18:26 PM »

We've had a few Unitarian presidents, which are not Christians today but were at the time.

There's also the long argument of Thomas Jefferson being an atheist or not.

I thought it was accepted that he was a deist.

Jefferson has been claimed as many things, both by his enemies and those who want to claim him for themselves.  Deist is not too far off the mark, but it's probably most accurate to call him a Unitarian; he was a friend of Joseph Priestly and an admirer of his works.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2015, 04:49:29 PM »

I could see Tulsi Gabbard becoming the VP and perhaps President eventually, and she's Hindu.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2015, 06:06:03 PM »

As others have noted, Taft unambiguously qualifies.  Several of the earliest were deists who from time to time entertained doubts about the divinity of Christ.  Lincoln appears not to have become a Christian until after his 1st election.  However, under a definition of Christianity broad enough to include Mormons (and I would include them), it's hard to argue for any historical presidents other than Taft being non-Christians.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2015, 06:57:17 PM »

meanwhile across America churchgoers wonder if a "real" Christian could ever be elected president

tsk tsk, Carter went from being born again to believing in universal salvation.  I think George W. Bush might qualify though?

I think there's been at least some quotes of Bush indicating he also at least partially universalist views now.

Don't most non-fundamentalist Christians more or less allow that just because someone isn't Christian doesn't mean they're automatically destined for eternal hellfire? I get the impression that most Mainliners (Bush is a Methodist) see Christianity as the best and most direct path to salvation, but not the only one.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2015, 08:42:15 PM »

An atheist president is one of those thing that's unthinkable until it isn't. Like a Black president or nationwide gay marriage. Seriously, how many people who have predicted those things in the yer 2000?

And to all the people saying America is too religious, Chile has an agnostic president.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2015, 12:06:15 AM »

An atheist president is one of those thing that's unthinkable until it isn't. Like a Black president or nationwide gay marriage. Seriously, how many people who have predicted those things in the yer 2000?

And to all the people saying America is too religious, Chile has an agnostic president.

A black president in 2000 was not an unrealistic possibility.

An atheist president isn't impossible, but it would have to be a matter of someone who is really well liked, and then people find out he's an atheist and they are willing to overlook it. 

(And I say he as I think a woman atheist president might be a bit much.)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2015, 02:25:58 AM »

Probably. I could see a (Western, Americanized) Buddhist president eventually though.

A Buddhist can be a Christian or Jew. Perhaps a Buddhist Christian after a Jew is next?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2015, 02:33:45 AM »

A black president in 2000 was not an unrealistic possibility.

An atheist president isn't impossible, but it would have to be a matter of someone who is really well liked, and then people find out he's an atheist and they are willing to overlook it. 

(And I say he as I think a woman atheist president might be a bit much.)

Actually I think a woman atheist would have an easier time than a man. Male atheists are too associated with Dawkins/Hitchens types.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2015, 05:55:50 PM »

Probably. I could see a (Western, Americanized) Buddhist president eventually though.

A Buddhist can be a Christian or Jew. Perhaps a Buddhist Christian after a Jew is next?

But a Christian or a Jew cannot be a Buddhist Smiley
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2015, 08:53:08 PM »

Well that's basically what I'm saying. Even if he doesn't believe in God, he's obviously a Christian.

Wut?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies