Xenniels? The Oregon Trail Generation?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:59:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Xenniels? The Oregon Trail Generation?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Xenniels? The Oregon Trail Generation?  (Read 5445 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 26, 2015, 11:30:31 AM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/anna-garvey/the-biggest-and-best-difference-between-millennials_b_7438370.html

I was born in '85 And was in mid elementary school right as they cleared out the Apple ][e's and all classrooms got computers for the first time.  But I am definitely part of this nameless group now pretty much over 30 but under 40... Born roughly 1977-1985ish.

Fiber optic high speed internet came my junior year of high school...Facebook my junior year of college.

Cell phones were adopted for the first time by youth while I was in high school.  Only a very few had them in fall 1999 but the vast majority did by the summer of 2003 after graduation.

We were little sponges right as the world very fundamentally changed underneath us.  We pioneered the Oregon Trail...and we all had that friend that always died of dyssentary, typhoid fever or a snake bite on the way.

Anyone else?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 01:40:12 PM »

Oregon Trail was a popular computer game when I was in elementary school (born in 1987).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 02:12:19 PM »

Oregon Trail was a popular computer game when I was in elementary school (born in 1987).
Indeed.  I don't really care what the half generation calls itself, but
You must be logged in to read this quote.
happened to me and I was born in 73.  And since the game originally came out in '79, people older than me have that memory too.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 04:12:20 PM »

Same here. Feb. 1988

In fact, until 4th grade, we had those very old Apple computers that the school had bought in the mid-80s and were completely obsolete by the time they finally got rid of them for the 1997-1998 school year.

Not only do I remember the original Oregon Trail, but what about Number Munchers and Odell Lake?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 05:12:10 PM »

I was born in 1994 and I played Oregon Trail and Number Munchers. It's not really special.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 05:14:08 PM »

Oh, The Oregon Trail. Blast from the past. Smiley

Circa 1987-88 Bo Jackson was tearing up the NFL, I was in elementary school, and you better believe we played The Oregon Trail. I recall getting pretty good at it. Ah, on those old Apple IIE computers or whatever.

I'm what's called a "digital migrant." I saw current technology in its very infancy, and with a few pointers in the right direction, I've been able to "migrate" to incorporate it into my life. As needed, though.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 05:14:26 PM »

I was born in 2001 and I still play Oregon Trail. Everybody plays Oregon Trail. Another BRTD thread fail.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 08:15:53 PM »

Oregon trail is still around...

The point was playing it on Apple ][e computers...which you never did in school, Xahar.  So no, you really weren't that special.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 11:47:12 PM »

I was born in 2001 and I still play Oregon Trail. Everybody plays Oregon Trail. Another BRTD thread fail.

So you're 14? What the eff?

You should see his posts from when he was younger.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 03:50:50 AM »

This article is bunk. Practically everything ascribed to children born in the late-70s in terms of experiences were identical in timing and place to what I experienced growing up (born in 88; normal southron; time-warp). Weirdly enough, I never have played Oregon Trail and do not remember it existing in school, though friends in the grade above me talk about playing it in school all the damn time; I do remember Odell, Number Munchers and The Secret Island of Dr. Quandary (!!!).
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 06:55:48 AM »

When everyone says Oregon Trail what version do they mean?

this is a link to play my generation's version of Oregon Trail, which was apparently the 1992 Deluxe Edition.

It looks like this:

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 07:14:45 AM »

The version of Oregon Trail I played in 1974-5 didn't have a screen but was text only. It ran on a teletype terminal connected to a remote mainframe. In the summer of 1976 I worked for the company that made the game, translating other educational software to their system.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 10:01:28 AM »

Until now I didn't even post in this thread...
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 10:29:26 AM »

Nostalgia is the cheapest of Internet drugs.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 01:15:18 PM »

That was the one they had us play in Middle School. I played the version before that:

My favorite version was this one though:

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 02:57:54 PM »

Oregon Trail, Number Munchers, Odell Lake, DinoPark Tycoon...were all MECC creations, which was a state owned company (Minnesota Educational Computing Consortium) that eventually teamed up with Steve Jobs at Apple to provide networked computers with educational games to schools around the US.  This is a major reason why Apple computers were so dominant in the education market.  The DOS versions of MECC games were lacking.

The company was eventually privatized and soon after sucked of its assets and sold up the chain, bain capital style.

But it had an outsized impact on kids who grew up in the 80s and 90s.

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 10:06:26 PM »

Until now I didn't even post in this thread...

Lol, this seemed like such a You post I didn't even notice the D-MN avatar was Snowguy's. My bad! Tongue
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2015, 10:12:35 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2015, 10:17:18 PM by Mr. Morden »

You joined when you were 2?

Yep.  Can you believe he wrote this at the age of 2?:

I agree but I put the odds of a geopolitical event that would cost Bush the presidency at only 20%. There is about a 75% chance that he will be re-elected.

It is rather impressive that a 2 year old knew how to spell "geopolitical".

EDIT: Granted, it was just a carbon copy of a post I made when I was 2 about another president:

I agree but I put the odds of a geopolitical event that would cost Carter the presidency at only 20%. There is about a 75% chance that he will be re-elected.

But I was wrong about Carter, and Beet was right about Bush.  Sad  I should have foreseen the Iranian hostage crisis.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 12:56:16 PM »

That's the one I played, too.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2015, 01:01:06 PM »

I have no clue what an Oregon Trail is, even though I'm her age.

Must be a US-thing ...

We always played Bomberman and WoW while in middle & high school on our school computers (mobile phones did not really exist here back in 1997-2005, at least not for kids).

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2015, 03:39:00 AM »

We had it but never played it. My favorite was a program on the old Apple computers that let you make and print play money. That would have been 1999-2000.

In fourth grade, they had a later version on an IBM computer but we never got to play that either.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2015, 10:23:43 AM »

The salient point here was the Apple II, which was in production from 1977-early 1990s.

These computers had 5.25" floppy disk drives and more often than not, no mouse.  This is the computer the kids of her era played The Oregon Trail on.

A better filter might have been... "Do you remember control/open apple/reset?"

That you played Oregon Trail something anniversary edition on a PowerMac in 1999 has nothing to do with the article.  She is talking about people born, at its broadest, from 1975-1985.

There were other mentions like AOL dialup being a mass cultural phenomenon or how exciting the 56k modem was...or creepy IRC chats where you asked everyone their asl.  Specifically that.  Not like "ZOMGZ LAME EVERYBODY HAS FACEBOOK CHAT NOW WHAT ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT"...not you...not you.

Temder: it is definitely an American thing...a game based on pioneers trekkng across the western US from Independence, Missouri to the Willamette valley of Oregon in the mid 19th century and the hardships they faced...like do you ford it, caulk it and float, or pay a wise indian and pay $5 and take the ferry?

Hunting was everyones favorite part.  "You shot 3800 pounds of meat but could only carry 100lbs back to the wagon.  Good job, whitey!"
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2015, 09:30:34 PM »

I was way too proud of myself for beating that game.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2015, 10:31:04 AM »

The salient point here was the Apple II, which was in production from 1977-early 1990s.

These computers had 5.25" floppy disk drives and more often than not, no mouse.  This is the computer the kids of her era played The Oregon Trail on.

A better filter might have been... "Do you remember control/open apple/reset?"

That you played Oregon Trail something anniversary edition on a PowerMac in 1999 has nothing to do with the article.  She is talking about people born, at its broadest, from 1975-1985.

There were other mentions like AOL dialup being a mass cultural phenomenon or how exciting the 56k modem was...or creepy IRC chats where you asked everyone their asl.  Specifically that.  Not like "ZOMGZ LAME EVERYBODY HAS FACEBOOK CHAT NOW WHAT ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT"...not you...not you.

Temder: it is definitely an American thing...a game based on pioneers trekkng across the western US from Independence, Missouri to the Willamette valley of Oregon in the mid 19th century and the hardships they faced...like do you ford it, caulk it and float, or pay a wise indian and pay $5 and take the ferry?

Hunting was everyones favorite part.  "You shot 3800 pounds of meat but could only carry 100lbs back to the wagon.  Good job, whitey!"
the problem is i was born in 1988 and all of it still applies, other than the portion about napster at college. normally when people post junk about millennials (hate that phrase...) on the internet they really mean people born 1990-
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies